Extra bar charges at country clubs

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2015, 01:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourthrock View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to TV and this kind of practice may keep us away. We have traveled the US working for the Department of Defense and HAVE NEVER seen this kind of Greedy Practice.
"Greedy Practice" beginning with capital letters?

Occupy Wall Street chapters are out there, looking for members having money without having to be present at a job every day. Members with trust funds would be even more welcome!
Old 01-31-2015, 01:37 PM

It happened at our table at Evans Prairie about 2 months ago. Our friend asked for vodka straight up and his wife got it on the rocks. They charged $2.50 for the straight up and $4.50 for the drink with ice.
The waitress said it was because a "drink on the rocks is a bigger pour"....
What-ever....
Old 01-31-2015, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

2 ice cubes = $2.00 = 1 Gallon of gas = 31 miles

The Villages Florida
Old 01-31-2015, 01:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
if you order beer does it cost more with a glass
That might be in the works next!
Old 01-31-2015, 01:49 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
They give you more alcohol in a drink straight up than the amount you would normally get in a drink that has a mix in it.
If you get scotch and soda, you usually get 1 shot of alcohol and then the soda.
If you just want scotch straight up, no soda, that 1 shot of alcohol would look pretty dismal in a glass all by itself so they give you more alcohol. LOL
Why aren't "they" providing an appropriate size glass for the one shot?
What if the patron only desires one shot straight up? Must they drink more and pay more or just pay ore and leave what they don't want in the glass to waste? Would the bartender or establishment honor a request for just one shot in any glass and just charge for the one shot?

Old 01-31-2015, 02:03 PM
Gold member

I can only go from what I have seen in my brothers bars. He build and owned many bars in his lifetime. I never heard him charge for ice or more for a shot on the rocks, or a splash of anything in your drink. His idea was to keep his customers happy so they would come back. He was very successful in the bars that he owned. He owned two or three at a time.Maybe it's done here because they can and the majority doesent care.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NECHFalcon68 View Post
It happened at our table at Evans Prairie about 2 months ago. Our friend asked for vodka straight up and his wife got it on the rocks. They charged $2.50 for the straight up and $4.50 for the drink with ice.
The waitress said it was because a "drink on the rocks is a bigger pour"....
What-ever....
It's a bigger pour. The extra money is for the extra alcohol.

This seems to explain how it is done elsewhere:
For most places a shot/mixed drink is 1.5 oz liquor, a rocks drink should be 2 ounces and a martini/manhattan should have 3 ounces.

Chances are their computer POS systems (register) have the whiskey prices under the price of a shot and have no separate button for it as neat so it would be added on, example:

Jameson $10 Jameson and Ginger/ Coke/Soda $10
Jameson neat/on the rocks $10 + $2 = $12 It wouldn’t make sense for them to charge you the same price for a shot of whiskey and a whiskey on the rocks because you’d be getting 1/2 oz more when you order on the rocks, you pay more for more pour.

So if anything 1.5 oz = $10, technically 2 oz drink should be $13.33 since an 0.5 oz is appx $3.33

See more at: $2 Upcharge for Ordering Your Scotch Neat? - Scotch AddictScotch Addict
Old 01-31-2015, 02:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Hmm. So the problem is minor charges added to a bill for alcohol; the cheapest and most simple solution would be to quit drinking. Bang, problem solved. You'll feel better in the morning and the wallet won't be as light.
First time it happens, shame on them, second time it happens, shame on you, but then it's a lot more fun to complain....
Old 01-31-2015, 02:45 PM
Sage
Default Big rip

I'm don't drink hardly at all but to me it sounds like the drink situation is ala carte drink ordering. So if you want a martini, the Varmouth is one price, then if you want ice that's another charge and then yet another charge for the olives? Never heard of such a thing. When you order a drink it should be one price because it wouldn't be a martini withou the olives or the Vermouth would it? It seems we are getting ripped off in a big way. Maybe we should start bringing our own garnishes, and put the ice from the ice water in our cocktail. Two can play this game.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Angry ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
No matter which way you order, either straight up or on the rocks there is an extra charge because you get more alcohol. There is not enough alcohol in a standard drink to do it straight up.
This is pretty common practice.
If I am understanding this correctly then.....say a martini is $4.00, I order it on the rocks and there is a $1.00 extra charge but if I order it straight up then there is a $1.00 extra charge also. How convenient!!!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:09 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
They do it "because they CAN".

These country club bar-restaurants run by the same restaurant group are an exercise in redundancy and monopoly. (Bonifay, Belle Glade, Evans Prairie, and now Orange Blossom)

See one, you've seen 'em all. It's boring!!!
We track together on many things
Old 01-31-2015, 03:47 PM

If anyone here is having trouble understanding why an on the rocks drink has a larger pour, experiment yourself at home with a shot glass, a drink glass and some water.

Step 1: Fill shot glass with water.
Step 2: Fill drink glass with ice.
Step 3: Pour water from shot glass into the drink glass.

Notice how the ice is not floating and the liquid is nowhere near filling the glass?
In a mixed cocktail, the soda, juice, whatever fills the rest.

If it's just on the rocks, only more alcohol will fill the glass.

You are being charged for extra pours of liquor.

What these establishments need to do, however, is spell this out clearly on the menu with a total price for the drinks, not separate charges.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
If anyone here is having trouble understanding why an on the rocks drink has a larger pour, experiment yourself at home with a shot glass, a drink glass and some water.

Step 1: Fill shot glass with water.
Step 2: Fill drink glass with ice.
Step 3: Pour water from shot glass into the drink glass.

Notice how the ice is not floating and the liquid is nowhere near filling the glass?
In a mixed cocktail, the soda, juice, whatever fills the rest.

If it's just on the rocks, only more alcohol will fill the glass.

You are being charged for extra pours of liquor.

What these establishments need to do, however, is spell this out clearly on the menu with a total price for the drinks, not separate charges.
Or a smaller glass would work??
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 01-31-2015, 06:28 PM

Then we'd be hearing about how tiny the glasses are.

Like I said. It would be much easier just to list the prices in well and premium categories.

Mixed: X amount
On the rocks: X amount
Straight/Chilled: X amount

The surprise up charges seem to be the main problem.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:41 PM
Platinum member

We went to Las Tapas in Brownwood for dinner tonight. I ordered an Absolute on the rocks (for those that don't know, that is vodka, nothing else) with a twist (also, for those that don't know (which includes most bartenders under the age of 40), that means a thin slice of lemon). Because of this thread, I looked at the bill. Cost of rocks, $1.50. When I asked the waitress about it, she said it was not really for the ice, but because of the larger pour. I have to admit, that I have complained many times about a restaurants tiny rocks glasses and resulting tiny drink. This was a decent size rocks glass with a decent size drink. It was worth $1.50 to me!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.