Which airport?

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

We always use Orlando. To us, it's a no brainer.

We just returned from a few days in Clearwater and had to drive past the Tampa Airport. Although it's a very nice airport, getting there is hell. Depending on where you live in TV, it's a way to get to 75 which is a mess. There is all kinds of construction going on. Much of the way, it's two lane road with pavement broken up and uneven lanes. Then you get on 275 which is even worse. On the way back, we were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for two and a half hours.

Orlando is simple. 27/441 to the Turnpike, Turnpike to 528 and you're there. There are millions of place to park although I find that parking right at the airport is the most convenient and not too much more expensive if you're going to be a week or less.

It's 20-30 minutes less in the best of conditions. If you hit traffic on 275 it can bee very long. I've never hit traffic going taking the turnpike to Orlando or Disney. The only time I've had a problem is when I needed to take route 4. Avoid route 4 at all costs. It's very similar to 275 in Tampa.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:07 PM

I fly to NJ - Newark - often and always use Orlando. When hubby and I fly up we use The Parking Spot for offsite parking. They're very customer friendly, pick you up at your car and help with your luggage and take you right to your airline. Frequent shuttles when returning and drop you right at your vehicle. They also offer AAA discounts or check their website for coupons.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

For us, the airport van stopping at everybody's house would drive us crazy. We use a car service, of which there are at least two in TV. They charge $40 pp each way, pick you and only you up at your house and deliver you back directly. For our niece and her boyfriend and their two little kids, they charged $90. (But we've been using the same people for years, so it might have been discounted.)

Flying is tiring enough without taking what amounts to a bus stopping at several homes, or having to taxi to and from a van at LSL, or work on someone else's time schedule. What if your flight gets delayed? The last thing we want to do is miss the bus and have to wait another hour for the next one. Our car service keeps track of our flight and waits for us in the cell phone lot. And our car stays under cover, safe in our garage.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:04 PM

CFrance...can you share the car service info? I'm flying out of Orlando and back in April/May and the price seems right..
Thanks!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

We have the taxi pick us up (10.00) take us to SL and take the Villages Transportation System to Orlando (35.00pp). If only one of us is traveling the remaining spouse is usually rolled out of bed at 6 AM to drive the other to LSL.....today was my turn....

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.