3 Way Light Switches

3 Way Light Switches

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

How to fix it
Old 01-06-2019, 09:00 AM

Default How to fix it

If you don't have luck with the warranty Dept here is how to fix it. Install a lutron caseta dimmer or switch at one location, it does not require a traveler at all. At the other location install a lutron caseta pico remote in a wall mount inside the switch box. The Pico remote looks like a switch but it is powered by a ten year battery. None of this is outside of code.

Finally, pair the Pico to the switch. No internet or WiFi is required. Lutron is a well recognized company, they make fantastic products. This solution will cost about 85.00 in parts for almond switches.

All three products are available on Amazon in all the common colors. Available at Lowe's in white only.

Other Caseta uses
Old 01-06-2019, 09:09 AM

Default Other Caseta uses

The Lutron Caseta system also works fantastic for the Lanai. Let's say you use your Lanai as living space. If you are sitting down and want the light on you have to get up, go inside and turn it on. With caseta you can have the remote in the Lanai. You can do this for the fan and lights. You can get a nice mini weighted stand that the remotes snap into.

It's all about convenience.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Platinum member

It is obviously wired incorrectly, or you have a defective switch, or one of the switches is not a 3-way switch.

I got tired of having to get off the sofa to turn off the lamps to watch TV. So, I bought several Etekcity remote outlets from Amazon. Now, I can control 4 lamps from 3 locations with remotes, and don't need to get off the sofa. A solution for laziness.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It is obviously wired incorrectly, or you have a defective switch, or one of the switches is not a 3-way switch.

I got tired of having to get off the sofa to turn off the lamps to watch TV. So, I bought several Etekcity remote outlets from Amazon. Now, I can control 4 lamps from 3 locations with remotes, and don't need to get off the sofa. A solution for laziness.
This is more than likely the case. DIY's will be driven to drink trying to replace one of these switches, and having it operating correctly on the first try (or second!).
Old 01-06-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Call Warranty anyhow. Just tell your problem and ask for suggestions. Don't rant and rave or complain. You just may be very surprised about the help you may get.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Regarding switches going bad I understand that is possible but all my current and former Rhode Island homes never had the issue. I’m not doubting you it just seems unlikely for the following reason. This is now 2 separate homes they were an issue, first our rental in the winter of 2018 and now in our preowned villa. Plus a friend of mine had the same issue in his newly purchased villa in 2017.

VillageThinker, Thank you for the suggestions, I’ve been around electronics and electricity most of my life. I don’t have an Ohm meter here with me.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Veteran member

Upon completion of repair, please make sure switch securing screws are positioned with grooves pointing North to South.
OCD patrols are in force in The Villages!!
Old 01-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
Either incorrect wiring or a bad switch. Yes, they do go bad.

I think that in the end, you'll find that one of the two 3-way switches is bad.
They do go bad. Had it happen up north and twice here recently.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2019, 12:40 PM

Thanks everyone for the input good suggestions and a special thanks about the OCD patrols!!
Old 01-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
Thank you for the suggestion.

Regarding switches going bad I understand that is possible but all my current and former Rhode Island homes never had the issue. I’m not doubting you it just seems unlikely for the following reason. This is now 2 separate homes they were an issue, first our rental in the winter of 2018 and now in our preowned villa. Plus a friend of mine had the same issue in his newly purchased villa in 2017.

VillageThinker, Thank you for the suggestions, I’ve been around electronics and electricity most of my life. I don’t have an Ohm meter here with me.
I actually have 3 or 4, harbor freight has them for less than $10. If you can wait a couple of weeks, I am very busy with another project, and as soon as it is done, I could give you a hand, let me know.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:08 PM

Default Here is a better option

Don't spend 10.00 for a meter. Get one for free, with any purchase, for any amount.
Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Database - Free coupons, 25 percent off coupons, toolbox coupons - 7 FUNCTION DIGITAL MULTIMETER
Closed Thread

Tags
light, switch, turn, switches, position