9 year old driving a golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
From an unnamed news source. A grandmother allowed her 9 year old granddaughter to drive the golf cart with grandmother in the cart. An accident happened with the 9 year old driving. The cart rolled over and grandmother injured and rushed to the hospital.
Please everyone, don't let children drive golf carts!
What really got me was when she said that she just can’t say no to her!! I guess it’s okay if the kid crashes and the grandmother ends up in the hospital!
Old 07-10-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
OBB.......I usually agree with you but not this time. A "moving traffic violation" is not a conviction. It is a violation which a fine is imposed.
You both are technically right!

A moving traffic violation or ticket just means you have been cited for the speeding offense while a conviction means you have been found guilty of the speeding violation.

When you receive a ticket you have the option of pleading guilty (paying the imposed fine) & being convicted or fighting the citation in court. Once convicted of the speeding offense, it then is placed on your driving record.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
That child could have hit and injured or killed a pedestrian or bicyclist. When grandma recovers she should extremely thankful that no one except herself was hurt. She could very well have lost everything she owns or ever will own in a lawsuit. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

As far as the "Darwin Award" being rehashed to death, if people would stop competing for it, it wouldn't be used over and over again.
I wonder if she was charged with a crime.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
From an unnamed news source. A grandmother allowed her 9 year old granddaughter to drive the golf cart with grandmother in the cart. An accident happened with the 9 year old driving. The cart rolled over and grandmother injured and rushed to the hospital.
First of all I hope she will be alright. That being said, my grandson who is 9 years old has been driving golf carts and gators since he was 6 or 7 years old around the homestead and at the baseball field helping his Dad who was the varsity baseball coach. He would haul materials and drag the field or what ever was needed to be done. I say this because he asked me the other day if he could drive the golf cart and without hesitation I said no and explained it to him. He was disappointed, but understood. "No" is something children need to hear nowadays.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
What really got me was when she said that she just can’t say no to her!! I guess it’s okay if the kid crashes and the grandmother ends up in the hospital!
The Grandmother did not say that!
Old 07-10-2022, 12:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Not Very Nice.
I know...... but who says that you have to be "nice" all the time.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I wonder how the grandma would feel if her 9 year old was killed because of her blatant stupidity. It's another care of a child telling the adult what they want to do and the adult not wanting to say NO.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:37 PM

Grandmother should be charged with child endangerment. Take a golf cart safety course. Should be mandatory when you move to the villages.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,743 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry8bal View Post
I wonder how the grandma would feel if her 9 year old was killed because of her blatant stupidity. It's another care of a child telling the adult what they want to do and the adult not wanting to say NO.
I imagine she’d feel terrible. Don’t you?
Old 07-10-2022, 01:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiragirl View Post
Kids don't belong in the Villages.
I don't think they should be driving golf carts on the roads or the multi-modal paths. Maybe on a large private property...
Old 07-10-2022, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiragirl View Post
Kids don't belong in the Villages.
Bah humbug!

It's nice to see "life" around here. One gets tired of only seeing crotchety old folks.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:08 PM

The Villages needs people who make good decisions regarding others' safety. Safety first, always!

She's so lucky to be alive! When she recovers, she should be banned from operating/driving a cart, thus, she is not able to make such a terrible decision again.

Don't punish a child who knows no better. It is up to us! Grandma is 100% at fault here, and she needs to pay the price for her terrible decision. Make her an example of what not to do, and if you do this, you risk losing your cart driving privileges.

Raise them up right & they won't want to (accidentally or purposefully) kill others.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:08 PM
Veteran member

I see this all of the time, even young children driving without an adult in the car. It takes an accident to make people understand. But like everything else, give them a week or two and they forget. It is awful that this grandmother was injured and the child is likely traumatized for life.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrir View Post
yesterday two 9-10 year old boys had a golf cart at the family pool where the Rio Grand postal station is also located.
You know that, how? Did you ask them for ID and age verification?
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:41 PM

According the Sumter County Sheriff's department golf car safety course. The child will get 3 points against her future license and won't be able to get said license until she is 21. Way To Go! Grandma!
BTW FL reports to all other states so even if the child isn't a FL resident it will follow her.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, grandmother, golf, year, drive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.