Adding a Pool, just Curious?

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,340 Posts

we had a pool at the last house, not sure if we would do it again kids are grown and we used it very little
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Pros........swim any time, pool is right out your back door, can have lots of friends over for private parties, no other people's music or talking to deal with if you like it quiet, on those hot days don't want to swim with other sweaty people, clothes optional, if you don't want to swim you can just read by the pool in quiet.

Cons.....haven't found any yet!!

Couldn't live without our pool and T&D maintains it for us.
Same here. Can't wait to get back and use the pool plus its a great water feature to see and hear the waterfalls
Old 09-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

privacy!!! we turned ours into a saltwater pool..best thing we ever did, no more messing with chemicals or the expense of them...the salt water is very faint and i can open my eyes under water without even knowing its saltwater..talk about a no fuss pool!! always sparkling clear!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbs455 View Post
privacy!!! we turned ours into a saltwater pool..best thing we ever did, no more messing with chemicals or the expense of them...the salt water is very faint and i can open my eyes under water without even knowing its saltwater..talk about a no fuss pool!! always sparkling clear!!!
I assume you have a bird cage? If so, is the saltwater NEVER expected to cause any corrosion on the birdcage frame or screening?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbs455 View Post
Doesn't your salt water pool have a cholorine generator that maintains a cholorine level in you pool??
Old 09-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Sage

Enjoy the benefits of a salt water pool system
Old 09-11-2012, 12:10 PM

I would not buy a home without a pool. I too have a salt water pool now and it's wonderful on the skin and hair. When I move to TV a pool is mandatory (as well as skinny dipping)
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Sage

Personally, we would be looking only at resales that have a pool and birdcage off the lanai, plus are on the golf course for privacy out back. They are pretty scarce, whether to rent or to purchase........so not sure where that 80% fits in, who would reject a home based on the sellers having a pool on premises.

When our children were growing up, we had a huge olympic sized inground pool with diving board at the deep end and fibreglass sliding board on the side plus wide walk in staircase on the shallow end...........my husband did all the chemicals and vacuuming until our children became teens and took over that chore......we had it covered professionally in the autumn.....it was hard for one person to manage such a big pool. He never minded the maintenance or the expense of the chemicals.
It kept the kids and their friends "at home" during their early school years and beyond.........plus all of our friends sat with us to play lifeguard.

With the homes we've rented at TV, we enjoyed the pool off the lanai covered by a birdcage. The birdcage kept out leaves and other debris, thus the crew that came each Thursday to the rental home had very little vacuuming to do; they were in and out after checking the chemicals. It seemed low maintenance to us.

Checking out various homes for sale and comparing them to the map, most are not close to the family pools or adult pools..........so convenience would be a plus in a home pool.

Not to mention how relaxing it was to eat out by the pool, read our kindles out there, visit, etc........the pool had a waterfall which was very soothing to listen to.
Just a peaceful oasis of sorts.

From the minute one walked in the front door , your eyes gravitated through the living room sliders and dining room sliders to the pool area.
Ditto for the master bedroom sliders.........all great views of the pool and golf course.

We know our five grandchildren (with more on the way) would enjoy it as they love to swim..........certainly they would also enjoy the rec center and family pool.
But it's a lot easier to have it on your own property then to drive in the heat for a mile or a half a mile, depending on where one lived.

These pools in TV are certainly not the olympic sized pools we had up north, but still a nice touch to retirement living. My husband floated around all afternoon each and every day.........enjoying the pool.....and filtered sunshine through the birdcage. All of our visitors would enjoy eating and just visiting out there, by the pool.........I'm sure of it. So, for us, it would be a plus and a priority. If we found a house with a good sized lot that had space for a pool , then we'd put one in.

We also have many young friends who have little children who would visit; they would indeed enjoy splashing in the pool.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Sage

At first I thought the extra 50K+ we spent was not worth it. But so far we are VERY happy with the addition of a pool and cage. We have ours on a side/front kind of yard and it is amazingly private. The only ones who we see are an occasional walker or a neighbor leaving or coming back to their house.

Pros: own music, own chose of floats, close to snacks or drinks, no annoying chit chat, the sound of the water fountains as we sit on the lanai. And many others!

Cons: monthly fee to clean and chemical (we use a ozone generator as well). We have a private company, not T&D, do ours and it is perfect! Higher electric bill.

Wet and happy in Buttonwood!
Russ & Linda
Old 09-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Veteran member

Look into to using silver yes silver to keep the bacteria down and using copper yes I said copper to keep the algae away. Read up on it ,it will be a surprise
Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Sage

ozone is far safer than putting chemicals or metals in the water, it kills most bacteria and algae if the dwell time is set correctly, most often water is set to flow too fast.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
At first I thought the extra 50K+ we spent was not worth it. But so far we are VERY happy with the addition of a pool and cage. We have ours on a side/front kind of yard and it is amazingly private. The only ones who we see are an occasional walker or a neighbor leaving or coming back to their house.

Pros: own music, own chose of floats, close to snacks or drinks, no annoying chit chat, the sound of the water fountains as we sit on the lanai. And many others!

Cons: monthly fee to clean and chemical (we use a ozone generator as well). We have a private company, not T&D, do ours and it is perfect! Higher electric bill.

Wet and happy in Buttonwood!
Russ & Linda
WOW, so it really cost 50K? Hmmmmm, that is something to consider but I guess you can pick the exact style pool/spa you want, which is nice
Old 09-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Sage

It's not only the cost of the pool, cage, solar heating etc, you need an oversized lot which can cost ........

A spa is another thought we had, a built in to the lanai or concrete pad (not the surface type) can be very nice, also not to always nice to share the public ones.

They are maybe 6-8 foot around and fit on most lots

The Villages Florida
Old 09-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Veteran member
Default spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
It's not only the cost of the pool, cage, solar heating etc, you need an oversized lot which can cost ........

A spa is another thought we had, a built in to the lanai or concrete pad (not the surface type) can be very nice, also not to always nice to share the public ones.

They are maybe 6-8 foot around and fit on most lots

The Villages Florida
Gonna have to convince my wife I need one of those to sooth my aching back after a hard day at the golf course!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default not there yet but....

We don't want a home with a pool. Now there is always the chance I will change my mind; but I want simple and easy when we move to TV, so I believe I will be content to use the pools provided by TV. At least we sure enjoy going to the Pool while we are there. At our up north location we have 2 large pools in our large subdivion so we also are used to the idea of it and we have met some really great people while at the pool there in TV. It also may be a cost thing for us.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.