Am I the only one...

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2020, 06:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shariys View Post
Real fact: as of today, 3-23-20, there are 43,449 cases of COVID19 in the US, with 545 deaths. And counting. Our government should have been taking this seriously 2 months ago.
Unfortunately our government decided to focus on impeachment two months ago
Old 03-23-2020, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Yes, I guess hindsight is 20/20. The thing is here we are now, and what should we do now?
Old 03-23-2020, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpygreens View Post
I was traveling out of state when the hysteria hit. The young man in the seat behind me was coughing frequently during my 2 hour and 20 minute return flight. Maybe he had a cold, allergies, asthma, flu, or any of a hundred reasons that can cause a cough. Given our current situation, it would have been nice if I could get tested, but tests are in short supply and only given to those who have symptoms. I got back to TV at 7:00pm and had dinner with my wife at a restaurant in a town square. The next day, we went to do our weekly grocery shopping. In addition to paper towels, tp, and hand sanitizer, the store was out of about half the staples on our grocery list. We bought what we could, and the next day I went to two additional stores to find the items we still needed. I found everything except paper products and hand sanitizer. Because my wife is very concerned about our short supply of those items, I go to 4 to 6 stores a day to see if they've been restocked. So far no luck. I've been doing this for a week. I will do it again today. Yesterday I developed a cough. It's probably seasonal allergies, but I have no way of knowing for sure since I can't get tested without having other symptoms. Because I don't know my status, I've been very careful to keep my distance when outside talking to my neighbors. I try to keep my distance from people in the stores I visit, but sometimes they end up crowding me. If you shop at Publix, Winn-Dixie, WalMart, Sam's Club or Aldi, please don't get too close to me. I'm trying to keep you safe. I'm over 65 and have asthma so being around all those people puts me at risk too. It's been a week. Can you let go of your hysterics long enough to leave a package of Charmin and Bounty on the shelves so I can stay at home? It would be in both our best interests.
Thank you Bumpy and I wish you the best. I hope your cough does not advance to anything else. Hey Readers: READ THIS!!! For two reasons - he may be positive and doesn't want to infect you AND he's humbly asking for two things so he can stay away from everyone. If I were in the Villages right now, I'd be happy to deliver those products to your door, Bumpy.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Velvet;1732285]The idea that China would unleash something on its own population is just too funny to comment on.

Velvet, curious what you're getting at. Do you mean it's laughably plausible, or laughable implausible? Isn't China the country that engages in female infanticide?

Female infanticide in China - Wikipedia
Old 03-23-2020, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorhome View Post
over 58,000 died in Vietnam no one made a big deal about it
I'm speechless.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:45 PM
Sage

What I was trying to say that if the Chinese wanted to develop biological war fare they would have done so much better than the coronavirus. This is a pretty pathetic and difficult to manipulate “weapon”.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
What I was trying to say that if the Chinese wanted to develop biological war fare they would have done so much better than the coronavirus. This is a pretty pathetic and difficult to manipulate “weapon”.
It's actually a hybrid ... call it a "bio/economic weapon" and it's proving remarkably effective in terms of impact.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:40 PM
Sage

And first, they test it on themselves? Ok, I just have a hard time getting my mind around that idea.

And what about those Italians, they thought they had the coronavirus in November. They did not recognize what the untreatable pneumonia they were encountering was then, but now they are retesting as a possibility.

Last edited by Velvet; 03-23-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
And first, they test it on themselves? Ok, I just have a hard time getting my mind around the idea.
Yes it’s non-intuitive for us because it violates our norms.

From the standpoint of China’s leadership, it’s arguably an attractive trade ... several thousand domestic casualties in exchange for bringing the American nation to its knees.

However, I do think it was accidentally released but it’s turning into a prototype due to its success.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

I wish I could type the Twilight Zone melody!
Old 03-24-2020, 05:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,513 Posts

Someone compared this illness to the flu. Facts show that this is MORE contagious than the flu, therefore more dangerous. The Flu has a contagion ratio of one to one, whereas this illness has a ratio of 1 to 2.5 or 3. The flu can be contained much easier than this illness. Take this illness seriously, but do not get hysterical. Take precautions and live the sacrifice for a couple or few weeks. It won't hurt you to be safe, but it might hurt you to be careless. All we have to do is modify our day to day living/lifestyle for a period of time until everything returns to normal.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjudkins View Post
The COVID numbers, taken by themselves, are a bit hair raising but I would welcome these stats be delivered by the media alongside the stats for the seasonal flu and other common virus infections. A little perspective would help me assess the gravity of the situation.
Unfortunately the gravity of the situation is based on the virus only if affecting you and yours or in some cases your 401k. Pity. It's not about media, government, politics (coronavirus doesn't care what your party affiliation) or 401ks, it's about SCIENCE, listen to the professionals and your doctor, and common sense.

Last edited by jebartle; 03-24-2020 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:22 AM

Why are people in the Villages still insisting on getting service call for their appliances for minor nonsense stuff. Do you really want a stranger in your home that has been to 10 different homes that day a tech who also has customers all over Ocala and surroundings.
The only service call you should be calling for is no cool refrigerator or not working at all washer everything else is nonsense and called entitlement just because you can under warranty.. Remember all it takes is one..
Old 03-24-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Take precautions and live the sacrifice for a couple or few weeks. It won't hurt you to be safe, but it might hurt you to be careless. All we have to do is modify our day to day living/lifestyle for a period of time until everything returns to normal.
This is what I don't understand....how is this only going to take a few weeks or few months? Complete eradication? A cure or vaccine? I don't see how this won't take a year or more.

Worldwide cases were 200K as of last Thursday, 392K as of this morning, it looks like it's doubling in 5-6 days at the moment.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:01 AM

People forget that the reason for the self-quarantine is to flatten the curve -in other words to slow the number of people getting the Covid 19 down on a day by day so that our hospitals and medical workers can handle the number of cases who do get the virus.

As it is, the number of cases are going to get so out of hand that the Medical system may completely break down. It is already getting dire without enough hospital beds, respirators and masks.

If there were fewer cases presenting on a daily basis than their would not be the demand for a greater number of respirators.
Staying home is not to keep you from getting the virus, it is really a self-sacrifice so that your neighbors and friends do not need the limited ventilators all at once.

Tags
buying, people, worse, cleaned, warts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.