Amelia/Hadley area electrical issues ???

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2022, 05:16 PM
Sage
Default Amelia/Hadley area electrical issues ???

We were watching t.v. around 6:00 p.m. this evening (Tues) when the t.v. and lights flashed off and on a few times (like cutting out). Not enough to stop the clock on the microwave but enough to be annoying. Haven't called the electric company yet or the cable company but one of the t.v.'s has a screen saying it can't connect with the satellite and to jump through some hoops to get back the show. Otherwise---it said we can watch shows on the dvr. We did have a thunderstorm go through late afternoon and it didn't seem to affect anything at that time. Wondering first if anyone else has had issues today similar to ours. Checking here before we do the actual "hoop jumping".
Old 08-23-2022, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

Don't jump too high. We got a call from SECO saying power is out for currently an unknown reason to 600 customers and will probably be back on by 8 PM
Old 08-23-2022, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,000 Times in 5,366 Posts

I don't have a satellite dish, but you probably just need to unplug the box and restart it. I don't understand how you could watch the DVR if your electricity is out. But, calling the power company is most likely a waste of time. If your power is off it will come back on. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

It blinked two or three times here (near Arnold Palmers CC).

We have been here for 18 years and the only power outages we have ever had have been this year. only.

One can only wonder what has changed for this to happen.
Fortunately the interruptions were minimal blinks....a couple of times maybe an hour.

If an actual outage, I get a text from SECO almost instantaneously notifying us.

My security system does likewise and also tells me the percent of residences affected in the area.

Anyhow, still wonder what has changed....the system for the area is still the same.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,217 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It blinked two or three times here (near Arnold Palmers CC).

We have been here for 18 years and the only power outages we have ever had have been this year. only.

One can only wonder what has changed for this to happen.
Fortunately the interruptions were minimal blinks....a couple of times maybe an hour.

If an actual outage, I get a text from SECO almost instantaneously notifying us.

My security system does likewise and also tells me the percent of residences affected in the area.

Anyhow, still wonder what has changed....the system for the area is still the same.
Here in Mallory Square and also experienced the "blink" of power outage. It was not enough to lose the clock on the stove or the microwave but the DVR restarted on its own by going through the "Welcome" start up that I'm sure anyone who has Xfinity is used to seeing.

Agree with Billie that these power interruptions have not ever happened before this year. Maybe the equipment that services our area is getting old..........just like the rest of us. LOL.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Do not call the power company for a couple of blips. The system is working as designed. If a line sees a fault the reclosure will operated 2 times trying to clear the fault, a branch or an animal etc. If the fault is cleared the reclosure will stay closed and the power remains on. If the fault is not cleared, wire failure, hit pole etc., then the power will remain off. The power company can isolate the area of the fault to a point and pick up (turn on power to some), while the repair is made.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,944 Times in 933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Do not call the power company for a couple of blips. The system is working as designed. If a line sees a fault the reclosure will operated 2 times trying to clear the fault, a branch or an animal etc. If the fault is cleared the reclosure will stay closed and the power remains on. If the fault is not cleared, wire failure, hit pole etc., then the power will remain off. The power company can isolate the area of the fault to a point and pick up (turn on power to some), while the repair is made.
I asked about the re-closers to some of the SECO guys, and since the lines are all underground, the e-closers don't fire off for the same reasons as over head wires, but Gary is correct. There are re-closers underground such that if there is a short, the fuse will pop open and then try to re-close and energize the circuit hoping for a temp fault. .

You should sign up for the SECO text messages for outages, and if you have text notifications, you should report the outage IF you didn't get a message. I got a message that the power was restored, but the house didn't have power. Then I call. .

also very helpful when traveling away from the house and you can't see the security cameras, you will know why.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't have a satellite dish, but you probably just need to unplug the box and restart it. I don't understand how you could watch the DVR if your electricity is out. But, calling the power company is most likely a waste of time. If your power is off it will come back on. Good luck.
The power blinked didn't go off entirely. It's as others said, we've not had outages here....maybe once when a transformer got hit but it was some years ago and was out and fixed within an hour or so. My question was "IF" others experienced what we did and it appears they did. We fiddled with plugs etc. and eventually figured out how to get the live-feed back. Turn off the main box and re-boot seems to be what works. NO, we didn't call SECO! Thanks for the responses folks---so appreciated them!!!
Old 08-24-2022, 09:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I asked about the re-closers to some of the SECO guys, and since the lines are all underground, the e-closers don't fire off for the same reasons as over head wires, but Gary is correct. There are re-closers underground such that if there is a short, the fuse will pop open and then try to re-close and energize the circuit hoping for a temp fault. .

You should sign up for the SECO text messages for outages, and if you have text notifications, you should report the outage IF you didn't get a message. I got a message that the power was restored, but the house didn't have power. Then I call. .

also very helpful when traveling away from the house and you can't see the security cameras, you will know why.
At some point I would guess there are overhead lines prior to getting to the underground of the Villages so issues off the reservation could be seen. But of course underground is a little different but the same.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,944 Times in 933 Posts

Here in MA, there is a some very expensive software which uses gis software (geo information system) to plot even urban pole, transformer, and lines between same over a road map with different colors for each line, primary and secondary, when they are energized or not. The lines also have priorities assigned to them. If a pole top recloser

there is someone watching that map with outages automatically sent to them, staffed 24 hours a day, called the control center.

That is why the text message by circuit can go directly to homeowers on that circuit, and calling in an outage that is already known is redundant.
Closed Thread

Tags
issues, company, t.v, afternoon, late

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.