Any Experinces Working in The Attic of a Patio Villa

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2023, 03:05 PM
Default Any Experinces Working in The Attic of a Patio Villa

Hi
Has anyone worked in the attic of colony patio villa? Granted this is not something most people should try as it should be left someone who probably worked in a maintenance skilled trade as I was. I plan on putting a antenna up and running the coaxial cable to the low voltage panel in the garage. I know some patio villas they installed 4 coaxial boxes but mind only 3. 1 in each bedroom and the 3rd on the interior living room wall. So from the panel box I have 3 feeds but need one for the internet which I like to put next to the one for the tv in the living. Yes i can run it along the baseboard etc. but I prefer a professional looking job. So anyone who has any experiences working in attic your advice would be helpful in planning Besides being hot are the rafter joists 16 or 24 on center. Is there room from the garage to the center of the house and anything else
Thks
Old 04-14-2023, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,640 Times in 1,356 Posts

Depend on the roofline the model, and the age of the home. PV took a major design turn few years back
Old 04-14-2023, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,406 Times in 2,330 Posts

OP, I do not do attics for many reasons, I tend to react to the blown in insulation, you need to be very careful where you step, and of course the heat, also, in our house all wiring penetrations from wall to attic were sealed, making it difficult to impossible to use an existing cable to pull in new ones. You might be much better off snaking to wire in along the soffit. Before you start anything look at the interior of your roof, there was a vintage of houses that had insulation with a metal (or metallic) surface that tends to interfere with RF (think cell phones and TV signals). Outside antennas are allowed WITHOUT ARC approval so you may be able to find a suitable location near you low voltage panel, and save a lot of work. Finally look into wireless for your internet, and eliminate the need for wiring entirely.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:02 PM

Well, you only need to run the antenna cable to your low voltage box in the garage. For your cable that supplies internet, keep it in your low voltage box. Put your cable modem there and then attach one of the ethernet cables to it. You should have an ethernet cable behind a blank plate above the refrigerator. You probably will need to terminate the end there and all ethernet cables in the low voltage box so you can determine which one connects to above the refrigerator. Then put your router above the refrigerator. It should more than cover your patio villa being there. I have a designer home and have great coverage everywhere including the lanai.

This all assumes you don't have cable TV service and still want to add an antenna.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:44 AM
Veteran member

When I ran an electrical wire from my garage to my back patio (to feed my tiki bar and kegerator), I got three 8 foot 2 x 8's and used them in the attic to have something to safely move along as I worked my way back - continually moving boards in front of me and resting along the rafters. It's slow, but pretty safe with regards to protecting your roof.

I have stairs in my garage to get to the attic, and an opening in my rear bedroom. Once I had pulled the wire and fed it where I needed it, I exited via my rear bedroom, along with all my tools. The boards remain in my attic for the next time I need to go up there (hopefully never ).

Make sure you wear long pants and long sleeved shirts - the insulation can cause a lot of itching!
Old 04-15-2023, 08:22 AM

Unfortunately my villa was finished in fall of 2015 They installed 3 phone jacks There's no data lines installed If the space is to tight to crawl thru to the living room wall I may run the coax straight across the width of the garage drop a line down that wall put a shelf on the upper inside wall and run a power strip from the wall outlet to the shelf to power the unit Ill have a better idea when I get down and get a better idea what I have to work with in the attic
Old 04-15-2023, 08:38 AM

Another option is to get an over the air DVR to connect to your antenna. You can then stream live or recorded material to TV's in the house.

Tablo Quad
Old 04-15-2023, 09:13 AM

I looked thoses opitions unfortunately I'm using Xfinity which has a data capso with that any streaming apps will been using data. Also with direct connect if I lose data I still watch TV
Old 04-15-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlasowicz View Post
I looked thoses opitions unfortunately I'm using Xfinity which has a data capso with that any streaming apps will been using data. Also with direct connect if I lose data I still watch TV
The Tablo doesn't use data. It streams using your local wifi between the Tablo and the TV. Nothing from the internet using Xfinity data.

Last edited by metoo21; 04-15-2023 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 09:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,228 Times in 774 Posts

Depending on your roof line, not much room to move around in up there. Lots of stuff in your way, gas lines, a/c ducts, mounds of insulation, and of course the trusses are not user friendly.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:31 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 568 Posts

DONT FIGHT STREAMING ! It’s inexpensive and cable free! Taking that Brinks Truck to the Cemetery is not cool
Old 04-15-2023, 11:32 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Depending on your roof line, not much room to move around in up there. Lots of stuff in your way, gas lines, a/c ducts, mounds of insulation, and of course the trusses are not user friendly.
Lol your right ! He will hear a loud hissing before he blows up the block!
Old 04-15-2023, 10:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,985 Times in 5,363 Posts

My advice is to stay out of the attic. Forget about an antenna and go with Internet streaming.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:42 PM
Veteran member

Antennas are an obsolete technology at this point. Just do internet streaming and save your time and money.
Old 04-16-2023, 04:40 AM
Default Avoid the Attic

An outdoor antenna will give you much better reception. If you bring the Rg59 into a wall under your roof and connect to a Tablo you can avoid attic work. It will connect all TV's via WiFi.
I have done this and get 65 channels in the Fernandina area.
Closed Thread

Tags
attic, patio, garage, coaxial, panel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.