Any Experinces Working in The Attic of a Patio Villa

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2023, 06:52 AM

Village thinker: excuse me for asking but what is “OP” so many people use this acronym
Thank you Sir
Old 04-16-2023, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Eichaker View Post
Village thinker: excuse me for asking but what is “OP” so many people use this acronym
Thank you Sir
Original poster or original post, depending on the context.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlasowicz View Post
Hi
Has anyone worked in the attic of colony patio villa? Granted this is not something most people should try as it should be left someone who probably worked in a maintenance skilled trade as I was. I plan on putting a antenna up and running the coaxial cable to the low voltage panel in the garage. I know some patio villas they installed 4 coaxial boxes but mind only 3. 1 in each bedroom and the 3rd on the interior living room wall. So from the panel box I have 3 feeds but need one for the internet which I like to put next to the one for the tv in the living. Yes i can run it along the baseboard etc. but I prefer a professional looking job. So anyone who has any experiences working in attic your advice would be helpful in planning Besides being hot are the rafter joists 16 or 24 on center. Is there room from the garage to the center of the house and anything else
Thks
Try 5g internet, no wires .
Old 04-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,224 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky365 View Post
An outdoor antenna will give you much better reception. If you bring the Rg59 into a wall under your roof and connect to a Tablo you can avoid attic work. It will connect all TV's via WiFi.
I have done this and get 65 channels in the Fernandina area.
Do they still sell RG 59 ? I thought RG 6 or higher was standard.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:44 AM
Veteran member

We have a Hibiscus home, and despite the high roof, except for the garage, most of the attic is inaccessible because of the HVAC ducting. There was a TV cable outlet behind the refrigerator, and after drilling a couple of holes I pit the router up on top of the cabinets. I mounted the TV antenna outside near where the cable connects to the inside TV wiring, connected the cable (for internet) to the kitchen outlet and the antenna, after its amplifier, connects to the other TV wiring. Few problems if any with reception on any of the three TVs, or the TIVO. I have had to program the TIVO to ignore Gainesville stations.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:45 AM

I was fortunate and able to install my antenna in my garage attic, which has no insulation and no HVAC or gas line in the way. I don't have to point the antenna through the rest of my house attic to point it at Orlando. Guessing you can't do that?

As for those that say "just stream" that is certainly an option, but once you invest in the antenna and pre-amp, there is no more cost. My set up cost about $130. I believe most streaming services are going to be at least $50 a month for a package that has all of the networks. And there are multiple sub-stations now with additional programming. Finally, if the internet goes out, you can still watch TV.

If your house is orientated so you can easily point the antenna at Orlando it's worth the cost and effort, IMO.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
When I ran an electrical wire from my garage to my back patio (to feed my tiki bar and kegerator), I got three 8 foot 2 x 8's and used them in the attic to have something to safely move along as I worked my way back - continually moving boards in front of me and resting along the rafters. It's slow, but pretty safe with regards to protecting your roof.

I have stairs in my garage to get to the attic, and an opening in my rear bedroom. Once I had pulled the wire and fed it where I needed it, I exited via my rear bedroom, along with all my tools. The boards remain in my attic for the next time I need to go up there (hopefully never ).

Make sure you wear long pants and long sleeved shirts - the insulation can cause a lot of itching!
And a mask. Some types will have you hacking for a couple of hours. You can google for professional recommendations.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:15 PM

The idea for the antenna is not have pay for a monthly fee for local TV. Yes you stream locals on apps such as You Tube Tv which is going up again from its $65 a month plus your cost for internet.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,369 Times in 2,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Eichaker View Post
Thank you Sir
OP = Original Poster, saves times, especially if they have a complicated name.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,369 Times in 2,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Do they still sell RG 59 ? I thought RG 6 or higher was standard.
If I recall correctly, RG-59 is a 75 ohm impedance cable, and the highest quality versions easily support GHz signals.
RG-6 is a 50 ohms cable and as I recall much larger diameter, typically used in Ham radio, the old CB radios and similar installations.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:06 PM

RG6 is the preferred cable for Antennas and TV cable systems and internet. RG59 was used years ago for TV but isn't the best for today's standards. RG6 comes in 2 flavors. Copper clad core (copper over steel) and solid copper core (lots better but more expensive). Quad core shielding is the better of the types of shielding. So Quad shielded solid copper core is what should be used for best results.

Actually RG59 and RG6 are both 75 ohm. Amateur radio (CB, ham) use 50 ohm cable like RG-58, RG-8X or RG-8U.

RG6 is a larger diameter cable (not by a lot) because it has a larger diameter conductor in the center and is shielded better (more internal braid and foil wrappings). RG6 won't fit in a RG59 connector due to the larger cable size. However the female side of the connectors are the same.
Old 04-22-2023, 08:22 AM

Update Upon arriving at my villa I did some exploring of my attic from the access door area. There is no easy way to run the coax cable from the box in the garage to the middle wall in the living Its more risky for me and the house. I think what i m going to do is split the feed that goes into the bedroom which right next to the closets Cut a access hole in the closet tie it into the bedroom feed run along the closet baseboard then it thru the wall into the living right behind the TV I still have to feed the coax from the antenna to the box in the garage but there is more working right there and its near the access door
Old 04-22-2023, 09:35 AM

Do you not already have an outlet in the middle wall in the living room? What Village are you in?
Old 04-22-2023, 11:33 AM

yes I have a outlet in the living room I have only 3 outlet ports So if I do run a antenna I need 3 port for 3 TV and I need a port for cable internet So I need a total of 4 ports
Old 04-22-2023, 11:50 AM

How many Cat5 (ethernet cables) do you have in your low voltage cabinet? How many ethernet and/or phone jacks do you find inside your home?
Closed Thread

Tags
attic, patio, garage, coaxial, panel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.