Bad times at Southern Oak golf & the center Bar at Sawgrass…

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2022, 08:14 AM
Default Southern Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
We golfed today at Southern Oaks. On the back 9 today. The Misquitoes were HORRENDOUS!!!
If it was up to me I was ready to quit on hole #12 and go back to the Starter for a credit. But the other guys wanted to stick it out. It just got worse. Especially close to the water…. We passed by a white service truck off the cart path and the side was covered with hundreds of them. It truly ruined the round as we simply had to rush shots. Not fun…

We decided to drown our sorrows with a beer at the center Bar at Sawgrass. The guy buying brought 4 plastic glasses of beer and said “guess how much”. We all guessed $4 a glass. He said they don’t serve in pitchers as we typically get after rounds at other places. And they charged $7.00 per glass!!! Was like almost $30! A pitcher at other TV restaurants is about $13. What a ripoff.

So, we won’t golf at Southern Oaks until fall, and no more Sawgrass. Yikes.

Not to pile on BUT, Pizzas can not be changed from menu, side salads are exactly the same salad at Willey and pizza place both served in a plastic container at that price. $14 burger with sides served in paper. $16 fried shrimp no side served on paper. $7 beers served in plastic. $4 mini desserts. I do like the Village Green store. The price of golf is more that other established courses. The prices at the Irish pub are over the top. Southern Oaks is set up to fail. The prices are set up like it is an upscale country club but served like it is a cheap food court in the mall. I Love The Villages but totally disagree with how Southern Oaks is set up.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:40 AM

Boycott Sawgrass then they may lower prices. Not a fan of Southern Oaks — boring and no shade.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,315 Times in 2,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

Our only solution was to play drive up ready golf, drive up very quickly, no practice strokes, one hit, hop back in and continue driving
That’s how I always like to play, mosquitoes or not. It’s the easiest way to get into and stay in a good rhythm.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,000 Times in 5,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickaslin View Post
Not to pile on BUT, Pizzas can not be changed from menu, side salads are exactly the same salad at Willey and pizza place both served in a plastic container at that price. $14 burger with sides served in paper. $16 fried shrimp no side served on paper. $7 beers served in plastic. $4 mini desserts. I do like the Village Green store. The price of golf is more that other established courses. The prices at the Irish pub are over the top. Southern Oaks is set up to fail. The prices are set up like it is an upscale country club but served like it is a cheap food court in the mall. I Love The Villages but totally disagree with how Southern Oaks is set up.
I agree. But, basically, it is a food court with shared seating. That is why they need to use paper and plastic containers.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,018 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyendell View Post
Boycott Sawgrass then they may lower prices. Not a fan of Southern Oaks — boring and no shade.
Agree, one of the better suggestions.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,315 Times in 2,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. But, basically, it is a food court with shared seating. That is why they need to use paper and plastic containers.
That, and with the labor shortage it eliminates the need for a full time dishwasher.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,233 Times in 341 Posts

The OP again. Did not want to “pile on”, but since it was brought up…. Southern Oaks can be classified as boring. IMO. The fairways are quite wide, mainly because there are few trees around, esp OAKS. Hardly any areas of shade. And yes, kind of a boring course. Would not call it pretty. Yesterday was the 2nd time we played there, and honestly the last for a while as we enjoy other Champ courses so much more - mosquitoes or not. Not worth the trip.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Beer always taste better in a frosty plastic cup....
Old 08-27-2022, 09:48 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,449 Times in 1,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
The primary issue is the lack of amenities in the southern section of The Villages and that will continue. The business model for the south, is different than the older sections of The Villages and shows no sign of changing. There's only 1 reasonably accessible golf course and it's glorified pit. When you're the only game in town, you can be unreasonable with pricing, quality and playability.

In my opinion, the southern areas of The Villages are marketed with smoke & mirrors. It's nothing like northern area and never will be. It doesn't look like The Villages, it doesn't "feel" like The Villages and the demographic is different.
And those of us that live here wouldn't have it any other way. Amenities are not lacking in the south, there are lots of new ones that aren't available in the north and several new premier golf courses have been announced. The north was built over a 30 year time period, south of 44 started 5-1/2 years ago, I think we have quite a lot down her in such a short time and we are getting the new hospital too. The developers are working hard to keep us all happy and happy we are with very few exceptions.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:50 AM
Veteran member

Played Harbor Hills a couple of Sundays ago and the blind mosquitos on the back nine were over the top ! Beer prices there are also over the top !

McGrady’s has a “happy hour” from 3-5 pm when you can get domestic drafts for $3 bucks . And their glasses are a full pint. Don’t know if that applies on weekends.

Best price for beer is at Mallory. $8 (or so) for a pitcher $2 and some change for a glass.

Worst for beer prices are Fenney Grill and Havana where they get you for $15/$16 + for a pitcher.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:56 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Old 08-27-2022, 10:06 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,449 Times in 1,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
The blind mosquitos, like the love bugs, are a short-lived seasonal appearance. They'll be gone soon enough. The land that has been developed south of SR44 is still very wild, whereas northern areas pushed the wildlife and insects out many years ago. Plus, there is a much higher ratio of wetlands and preserves down south. This is all part of the growing pain. Now, the price of beer at Sawgrass & McGrady's...I agree that is straight up gouging. Then again, the prices are not a secret. Vote with your wallet. I do.

By the way, I saw two pairs of love bugs on my front porch yesterday. They're making an early appearance.
I too had love bugs yesterday, they have been lite the last few periods I hope this isn't a sign of heavy infestation.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:20 AM

And if I recall, they are typically selling “craft style” beers at Sawgrass which are typically a little higher priced than the typical domestics.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWGifford View Post
And if I recall, they are typically selling “craft style” beers at Sawgrass which are typically a little higher priced than the typical domestics.
I believe you are right. We went during happy hour and they were 2 for $7. At least the ones we had.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWGifford View Post
They have both ….
Closed Thread

Tags
southern, glass, back, sawgrass, oaks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.