Bicyclists

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2020, 07:15 AM

What bothers me consistently is the bikers who do NOT stop at STOP signs! In the 4 years I've lived here I have seen exactly one who did. It does make me very unhappy with bikers and watchful when we come to a stop sign as i'm not certain what might happen. I am not against bikers on the MM paths or the street and I like to ride my bike. I stop at stop signs and obey all rules - why can't others? It's not that hard!
Old 04-18-2020, 07:16 AM

Let's face it, the guy was simply a jerk! I would have run him off the path,
if he antagonized me the way he did with you.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:19 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,569 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipd331 View Post
WOW
I can see Cabin Fever is setting in on the Villages
Yep. I guess people are going stir crazy living through this virus. Nothing of more importance to complain about besides not being able to pass a bike? Seriously?? Took me awhile to type this since I was laughing so hard.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:25 AM

Why use the modal paths bikers USE THE ROADS THEY ARE ALMOST EMPTY
Old 04-18-2020, 07:49 AM

I did not see one comment about going thru stop signs. Share the road means a bike gives way if possible. If I get in front of you and slow down so you can not go as fast as you want I would be called some names.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoboy View Post
If you can’t pass a bike with your golf cart, you either need a new golf cart or you need to learn how to drive the one you have. Really? You couldn’t pass a bicycle??.??
I have passed many a golf cart while riding my road bike. I almost always go as fast as I can. And, yes, I slow down and speed up as the terrain and wind dictate. It takes an almost unnoticeable change in the incline to change my speed between 15 and 20 mph. A bigger change can cause me to slow to 10 mph. I’ve broken 30 on some roads (like those east of Sumter Landing) when going down a steep hill.

But, I am going to go as fast as I can unless I am approaching one of the many splits on the MMPs. If I know I won’t be able to maintain at least 18 mph I slow down and wave the cart by.

I have also been in situations in my golf cart where someone in a cart was going 16-18 and there was a handful of carts stuck behind for a very long time. It is FAR easier and SAFER for a cart to pull over than for a bike. You mentioned you were going below 20 (16-18?). Do you pull over when carts approach you from behind?

So, in summary, there are times when I have to wait for you and times when you have to wait for me. That’s just life and you’re going to have to deal with the fact that the universe isn’t going to optimize itself to maximize your benefit.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:51 AM

I was behind you and let me say, you seemed to be looking to start something. You had ample opportunities to pass the cyclist and instead you chose to tailgate . He tried twice to let you pass and only after you didn't did he speed up. You made me so nervous with your tirade that I ended up passing both of you. The cyclist had the right of way as long as he was in front and you took it upon yourself to harass him for whatever reason. Are you just bored or just mad at cyclist. They have a right to be there and you could have passed many times. I was so angry at you when I finally passed you both that I wanted to call the police on you. You could have gone on up the road in the beginning and avoided all that tension. You were a real jerk!
Old 04-18-2020, 08:07 AM

OBB, I agree completely. As a lifetime member of Adventure Cycling, I was ecstatic (almost) to move to TV & flat FL where there are innumerable biking opportunities. Personally, I ALWAYS slow down when a cart is behind me so that it can pass - common sense as I cannot pedal as fast as the cart wants to go. Cars & carts weigh a lot more than my bike & I don't want to meet any of them.

I know the rules of the road but ALWAYS allow for the possibility 1)the other guy doesn't know the rules or 2) chooses not to follow the rules. Let's be safe out there. And thank you for your patience with this annoying cyclist.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,275 Times in 2,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmit16 View Post
I was behind you and let me say, you seemed to be looking to start something. You had ample opportunities to pass the cyclist and instead you chose to tailgate . He tried twice to let you pass and only after you didn't did he speed up. You made me so nervous with your tirade that I ended up passing both of you. The cyclist had the right of way as long as he was in front and you took it upon yourself to harass him for whatever reason. Are you just bored or just mad at cyclist. They have a right to be there and you could have passed many times. I was so angry at you when I finally passed you both that I wanted to call the police on you. You could have gone on up the road in the beginning and avoided all that tension. You were a real jerk!
I can’t wait for the response to the above post.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:49 AM
Default Right on, right on.

Right on, right on.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
So you're on a multi-modal path. That's great. You should have a helmet on, but hey that won't affect me one way or another if you lose control or crash into a car at an intersection, so that's all good.

HOWEVER

if I'm behind you, in a golf cart, and the speed limit is 20, and I'm going at a reasonable pace of 16-18mph, then please let me pass you. You were going only around 9mph when I got close. I went to pass you and instead of letting me, you sped up to over 12mph. That meant it would take me a lot longer to pass you, and that's unsafe since it's a 2-way multi-modal and only enough room on it for 2 golf carts passing each other - not 2 golf carts and a bicycle.

It wouldn't have been TOO bad, if it was just as far as the stop sign.

But you went all the way from Buena Vista on the Camino Real path, all the way to Paige Place, refusing to allow me to pass you while you continued to speed up and slow down - almost as if you were daring me to go fast enough to succeed safely (which was not possible). You also rode your bike RIGHT THROUGH those stop signs. Every single one of them. On one, you didn't even slow down. You were going 12 mph right through it. That was the entry to one of the villages near the Savannah center.

Don't do that, guy. And wear a helmet if you value your safety because one of these days, the person behind you won't be me. It'll be someone who doesn't give a damn about anyone but his own convenience.
I was behind a group of about ten bicyclists on a mm path one day and every time I tried to pass some of them would move to the left deliberately preventing me from passing.
Some people have some pretty strange attitudes.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'll try to be more clear.

When I first spotted him ahead of me as I was approaching, he was going only around 9mph. At that speed it would've been easy and safe for me to pass him without worrying about being on the wrong side of the path, if oncoming traffic was approaching while I was already on the wrong side of the path.

Instead of allowing me to just get over to that side of the path and pass him - he sped up - t0 12mph. When you're only going 15-18mph in the first place, that 3mph jump in speed for the person in front of you is enough to make it MUCH more risky to try and pass.

He waited until I had already started accellerating (trying to get up to 20mph) and had moved over in preparation to pass him when he sped up.

There was no hill that he was speeding up to try and get over (which is what I and many other cyclists do when I'm getting near an incline). There was no one ahead of him that he might've been trying to catch up to. There was no reason for him to speed up, at that moment, except to prevent me from passing him.

If he had been going 15-18mph I wouldn't have tried. That's a reasonable speed for 20mph multimodal path. But he wasn't even going 10mph when I started trying to pass him. That was WHY I tried to pass him. And he was still going under 15 when he sped up.

When I gave up trying, he slowed down. So I started to speed up again (thinking maybe I could pass him afterall now that he slowed down again) - and he sped up. Except when it was time to go across the entrance to the village off El Camino behind the Savannah Center. He went straight through it without slowing down at the stop sign.

He was irresponsible, and he was trying to instigate - something. I don't know what. All it resulted in was me being annoyed that he was being rude and inconsiderate. Fortunately for him, I'm not some kind of yahoo with a road rage problem.
I don't know why people feel the need to spread their negative emotions through TV on social media. Move on and get over it. I'm sure we all do things that others don't like or understand.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1949 View Post
Why use the modal paths bikers USE THE ROADS THEY ARE ALMOST EMPTY
Unless you are in a large group, roads like Morse and BV are FAR more dangerous.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:32 AM

When i am driving my golf cart on the multi model path and a see a bicyclist in front of me i use what you may call "common sense". I approach them close enough that they are aware i am behind them. I slow down and stay behind them until it is safe for all for me to pass them. Then i pass them. Almost every time i get a friendly wave from the bicyclist. COMMON SENSE needs no laws. REMEMBER THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE THE FRIENDLIEST HOMETOWN>
Old 04-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Default Bikers vs golf carts

Funny this situation happened as I had a similar one yesterday. 3 of us were on the bike path headed toward Arnold Palmer. In the oncoming lane there were 6 carts coming our direction when the cart behind us decided it was time for him to pass. Our bikes are actually electric so we were going approximately 12 to 15 miles per hour. This person decided he could not wait 10 seconds to get to his tee time, he pulled around with no notice or horn making us vear to the right and the oncoming traffic veered a their right. I followed him right down to the Arnold Palmer golf course where we got into a huge argument as he advised me that i was an idiot.He called me every name he could think of. I assure you I was not offended and obliged him with language I'm sure hes never heard. If you can't wait 10 seconds to get a golf club in your hand shame on you. We are in a retirement community and especially at this time we have nothing but time. The last time I checked every state of the Union gives the bicycle and the pedestrian the right of way and I assure you people we have enough time that we do not have to risk someone's life on a bicycle.. most people in their carts are polite as are the bikers HOWEVER it only takes one entitled person to screw it all up.
Closed Thread

Tags
pass, golf, speed, multi-modal, path

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.