Cause For Concern - Rentals in TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post
Yes, you can actually "sell" half your house to your brother and have 4 people on the deed and receive (4) green cards.

You can actually "sell" to just your brother for the deed and his wife will also get a "green card" because they are married. That is how it worked for a friend of mine- here in The Villages for a new construction home that was purchased.
Actually, the wife would get a blue card which signifies a non-owner resident.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post

If your name is on the deed then you get the green ID card. If you are not named on the deed but are a full-time resident in that house, you get the blue ID card. Same privileges on both cards but the blue one has to be re-certified annually to ensure you still live in that house.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Veteran member

There was some recent legislation passed in FL about short-term rentals. It has been very controversial in some communities.

Some background: Cities to be blocked from cracking down on short-term rentals - Sun Sentinel

It appears that legislation might have passed earlier this year to hand some control back to local communities.

About the recent legislation: Flagler Seeks, Flagler Wins: Bill Restoring Vacation-Rental Regulation Authority Passes House and Heads for Scott's Desk | FlaglerLive
Old 10-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

Quote:
Unless the "rules" changed since 2010, the owner and "his wife" because they are married both get Green Cards--I know this for a fact, I have seen both deed and their cards.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Gold member

No concerns about Section 8 in The Villages at this time. The website showing Section 8 rentals approved for the subsidy shows only a few in 32159 zip code area, and they are not in T.V. See link below and search by zip code.

As for concerns about too many homes not being owner-occupied, I'm not concerned. This is where actually living here and seeing in person the buyers and those who move in gives a better feel for how neighborhood occupancy goes. What we see over and over is that renting is often the surest path to buying and occupying in TV.

Some cities do put a cap on the number of homes that can be rentals, to address the concerns of the o.p. Here is an example from the heartland:
"Winona’s cap on rental housing won the blessing of the Minnesota Court of Appeals in a case that cities across the state are watching closely.

On Monday, the court upheld Winona’s ordinance limiting rentals to 30 percent of the properties on a block. The so-called “30 percent rule” was meant to ease parking woes and protect neighborhoods from being overtaken by rental units. But some homeowners challenged the cap, arguing that it’s unconstitutional for a city to restrict homeowners’ rights to rent and sell their properties……."
Court of Appeals upholds Winona's rental limits | Star Tribune

Find Section 8 rentals by zip:
GoSection8.com - Section 8 Rental Housing & Apartments Listing Service for Landlords & Tenants
Old 10-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post
Unless the "rules" changed since 2010, the owner and "his wife" because they are married both get Green Cards--I know this for a fact, I have seen both deed and their cards.

I had breakfast with a friend this morning. He is not on the deed, his wife is. They both have green cards, but he has to "renew" it every 3 years and did that yesterday.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I had breakfast with a friend this morning. He is not on the deed, his wife is. They both have green cards, but he has to "renew" it every 3 years and did that yesterday.
You and your friend should get tested for color blindness. The green cards do not expire, blue cards need to be renewed every three years at the district office. The green cards are issued to persons named on the deed or persons that represent the entity listed on the deed (trustees and in some instances grantors have been issued green cards) blue cards are permanent residents that are not recorded on the deed (girlfriend, etc).
Old 10-14-2014, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,336 Times in 874 Posts

We just closed in August after renting for 4 years, month at a time, 3 months at a time...whatever the schedule would allow. Most likely we would not have moved here if we had not rented. Never had a slum lord for a landlord, never had an issue with other renters. And, if you restrict renters a bunch won't show up, which will reduce the revenues for the commercial properties which will cause them to leave and us to make up the revenue slack. Our lifestyle is a result of revenue, mess with that and you mess with what brought us here.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Default Can I sell to my brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Can I sell half my house to my brother and his spouse and have 4 names on my deed?
Yes, you can sell half of your house to your brother. My Mother was one of the original owners in the Villages. When she died, my two brothers and myself had the property put in our names. Since then, we have bought out one of the brothers, so now there are two of on the deed. My brother does not use the property at all. We use it about 4 months in the off season...because we love the Villages. We rent it for Jan/Feb/March to the same couple that has been coming for the last 12-13 years now...and they love it as it were their own. If I couldn't rent it for those 3 months, then we couldn't afford to keep it, since the expenses are pretty high (Utilities, homeowner's due, yard care, maintenance, upkeep, replacing things that break down like A/C, kitchen appliances, new carpeting every few years, replacing roof, painting interior and exterior, etc.
So, we welcome the rent and cherish our couple that rent it and take care of it as it were their own house. So, renters aren't a bad thing. Something for this poster to consider while making judgments.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post
Don't lump all "non-individually named" owners together.

Our home is owned by our family trust as an estate planning matter but we have every intention of maintaining it as it is "our" home.
We are the same.

Our house is owned by our revokable trust for estate planning and other reasons. It is our property, occupied and maintained by us and for us. It has been that way for almost eleven years now and will remain so.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 10-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I have seen ads for weekly rentals in TV. Now I notice an inquiry about purchase by multiple families, and purchase by a LLC. I believe that if we don't get a grip on these issues, we will have properties occupied by people that don't have a vested interest in our community, don't stay long enough to learn the local "rules", and won't make any attempt to educate themselves prior to signing a lease. I don't know if sales can be somehow restricted, and the duration of rentals regulated, but IMHO, the time has come to find out. I don't believe sales to any entity other than a real person should be allowed (not trusts, or corporations), and rentals should be at least 90 days (the longer the better). I do not mean to cast aspersions in all renters, but as we all have seen, 1 rotten apple can create a barrel full.
There are many reasons for short-term rentals. We own our home here and live here year-round. I rented a house on my block for my two sons and their wives for Thanksgiving (Wed - Sun). My grandson and his wife, baby, and dog will stay in our house with us. I am on the rental agreement and they have already paid me the full rental price. They will be my guests the same as they always are when they visit individually.

When we came here in Feb. 2004, people were buying multiple houses and reselling (flipping). The Developer then stepped in and put in the requirement that if you buy a house, you must live in it a minimum time (year, I think). Can't fault the Developer for protecting his own interests. After all, that's why he does what he does. He made all the initial investment, taking all the risks.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."

Last edited by dillywho; 10-14-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: c,larification
Old 10-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Gold member

Lots of people purchase a home in a Trust...(we did) and you can not legally prevent that nor why would you. Further you will never limit rentals to 90 or more. That is up to the people who own the home but I think there is a restriction on short term rentals.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:50 PM

A lot of worry about nothing. It's not really profitable to be a land lord here. At best you can get 4 months in the high season then it sits empty. 4 months will cover everyday expenses for the year but not major repair like AC, new roof, painting, carpet, etc...

In my neighborhood, which was built in 08 some people were renting there houses especially after they bought a second house to up grade. They thought it would be a good investment to keep the first house and rent it out. Within 3 years most sold the rental, usually to one of there renters. They got tired of just breaking even and the hassle. If you have an agent it really doesn't pay. They make money you don't.

Just my observation.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Can I sell half my house to my brother and his spouse and have 4 names on my deed?
You should be able to do that.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:41 PM

You represent the vast majority of us "renters" quite well. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I have rented several times in The Villages since 2011, each time in a different village to get a taste of what living in that part of The Villages is like as I would like make The Villages my home at some point in the future. My rentals have all been in the "slower" season for a week or two at a time, because I still work full-time. I would love to rent in TV for 3 months at a time, but I don't get that much vacation time. I don't know too many people who work full time who do get three months of vacation time, except perhaps teachers if they are not teaching summer school or working on a graduate degree in the summer.

All of the landlords I have rented from in TV (with the exception of one), were frogs who owned the rental home as investment income. The owners of the home I rented this past July are Canadians, so they only occupy their home in TV for 6 months of the year, and they try to find renters for their home in the "slower" season.

During the times I have rented in TV I have never driven while intoxicated, gotten intoxicated at a restaurant, bar or at one of the squares, bought or sold illegal drugs, destroyed anyone's property, gotten into a car or golf cart accident, thrown a wild party, or committed any crime. During the day/early evening I enjoy the beauty and activities of The Villages, and then I come back to the rental home at night, have a glass of wine, watch a little television, then go to bed. Gosh, I am one wild woman!

Just two cents from a wannabee who hopes to rent again in TV next summer, but it will be for a week or two unless I win the lottery. Maybe someday I will be your full-time neighbor in TV.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.