Charter school restrictions

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,336 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Maybe y'all should ask those non-villages entities to build and fund operations of the additional school buildings, facilities, and staffing to accommodate their employees' children, as the TV developers did for their employees.

Those non-TV employers, too, could form a FL workplace charter school, or fund expansion of TVCS. IF they take such risks with their money, to build a more motivated and happier workforce.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-14-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Maybe y'all should ask those non-villages entities to build and fund operations of the additional school buildings, facilities, and staffing to accommodate their employees' children, as the TV developers did for their employees.

Those non-TV employers, too, could form a FL workplace charter school, or fund expansion of TVCS. IF they take such risks with their money, to build a more motivated and happier workforce.
Great post. As was the post above comparing the school benefit to a 401k.

I feel bad for those kids that have to switch schools, but attendance to this school was an added benefit, not a guarantee.

Also, after talking with some parents, this was not an out of the blue decision thrust upon the parents at the last minute. The rule change has been in the works for some time.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Sage

Quote:

Sounds like: wait for it...................A result of collective bargaining.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:25 AM
Sage

Gosh,its not class size that matters-its families --when I went to school we had 36 students in our classes, over 95% went to college--Judge Judy went to the same Jr. High---in my old neighborhood if you didn't go to college-you couldn't get a date

Class size is just an excuse for failing school districts
Old 05-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Or it could be that when the lease period was up, the new terms included increased rent and a bigger piece of the profits, basically forcing them out if they did not accept the "terms". But more importantly, think of the good lesson The Villages are teaching these young students; that life is not fair and there are no guarantees in life. I think that is worth the rather minor inconvenience of these families. Actually, the developer is probably doing these kids a favor by kicking them out, some of them in their senior year. A different school with new teachers and new friends will be good training for them when they enter the real world.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,560 Times in 1,931 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[COLOR=magenta]
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Or it could be that when the lease period was up, the new terms included increased rent and a bigger piece of the profits, basically forcing them out if they did not accept the "terms".[/COLOR]
Quote:
But more importantly, think of the good lesson The Villages are teaching these young students; that life is not fair and there are no guarantees in life. I think that is worth the rather minor inconvenience of these families. Actually, the developer is probably doing these kids a favor by kicking them out, some of them in their senior year. A different school with new teachers and new friends will be good training for them when they enter the real world.

Class envy or lack of information? I am sure the teachers and staff and the Morses feel bad when this happens. Why wouldn't they? They are all good people.

It is the same old same old. We can't always bend the rules of society to accommodate everyone, every single time. It is ultimately the parents responsibility to see that their children get a good education.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Actually, the developer is probably doing these kids a favor by kicking them out, some of them in their senior year. A different school with new teachers and new friends will be good training for them when they enter the real world.
While in some ways it could be good training for later in life, I must respectfully disagree about making seniors move to another school. Forcing seniors to change schools, and leave the one where many of them have been for many years, will be a very difficult transition. As a child of parent who moved quite a bit for work, I changed schools six times from 2nd grade until 10th grade - moving from a good school to poor schools then to mediocre schools. Each time we moved it was extremely frustrating to know that I would probably be moving again in a couple of years, and made it difficult to cultivate any real friendships. Once I started high school I wanted some continuity for the the next three years and the only way to ensure that was to enroll in a private boarding school for the last three years of high school. I was fortunate to qualify for a pretty good scholarship, so the financial burden on my parents was not as bad as it could have been. I'm guessing that many/most of the kids probably don't have that option.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:27 AM

You really should understand the rules for attending the Charter School. Your assumptions are only partially correct.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:30 AM
Default Charter School

You really should understand all of restrictions involved to attend the Villages Charter School. I believe there are only two other Charter schools in Florida that are allowed to operate the same way Villages Charter School does.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,560 Times in 1,931 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn1 View Post
You really should understand all of restrictions involved to attend the Villages Charter School. I believe there are only two other Charter schools in Florida that are allowed to operate the same way Villages Charter School does.
You mean that there are only two other schools that gives this amazing privilege to workers? It benefits the developer and it benefits us and it certainly benefits the families involved. It will be very sad to see it wind down, but people don't like The Villages to keep growing.........
Old 05-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
[B][COLOR=magenta]

Class envy or lack of information? I am sure the teachers and staff and the Morses feel bad when this happens. Why wouldn't they? They are all good people.
Definitely not class envy. I don't go around envying people. What's to envy? Gary Morse died at a relatively young age. He lost his wife to cancer, I believe. I feel sorry for the hand he was dealt wrt his and his wife's health issues. I would not envy someone based on their wealth, just as much as I would not worship someone because of their wealth. I am not sure the Morses feel bad about this, because if they did, they could do something about it. After all, it is their ball, right? Would you feel a little more sympathetic if one of those kids was your grandchild? Or would you say "sorry, those are the rules"?
Old 05-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Definitely not class envy. I don't go around envying people. What's to envy? Gary Morse died at a relatively young age. He lost his wife to cancer, I believe. I feel sorry for the hand he was dealt wrt his and his wife's health issues. I would not envy someone based on their wealth, just as much as I would not worship someone because of their wealth. I am not sure the Morses feel bad about this, because if they did, they could do something about it. After all, it is their ball, right? Would you feel a little more sympathetic if one of those kids was your grandchild? Or would you say "sorry, those are the rules"?
I'm pretty sure these regular public school families were told "sorry, those are the rules" when this occurs routinely, every year around the nation:
"SANFORD — Closing two schools in Seminole County could trigger a wave of rezonings that would affect thousands of students and half of the elementary schools in the district.

Parents who thought they had nothing to worry about quickly could be drawn into a controversy that will expand far beyond the two closed schools.

All 17 Seminole elementary schools east of U.S. Highway 17-92 and south of Lake Jesup could be swept into the mix as new school attendance zones are drawn for the remaining 15. Enrollment at the schools tops 12,000 students.

"It is going to affect possibly thousands of other students," said Deputy Superintendent George Kosmac.

The problem, officials say, is that a low-enrollment school chosen to be closed may not have neighboring schools with empty seats to take those kids. That means some students from adjacent schools would have to be shifted to make room, starting a chain reaction of students being bumped from school to school….."
School closings Seminole: School closings in Seminole County would force attendance zone changes affecting thousands of students - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel
Old 05-14-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Very well stated.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.