Cigars Smokers Unite

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
and please do us all a favor and do not go into the "poisoned" environment.
“us all”? Surely you mean the “few of us” who remain oblivious to the fact that no one in this country is born with a right to inflict harm on others. And this attitude of “If you don’t like it, go somewhere else” is quite frankly both arrogant and insensitive.

On the other hand, having been a heavy smoker for 40 years until it nearly killed me, I understand a smoker’s needs particularly around food or drinks.

So I agree with Barefoot that if a restaurant wants to accommodate it’s smoking customers it should set aside an outdoor section for them with a fan that blows away from the non-smoking section. But establishing the entire outdoor area for smokers is not an equitable solution.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
simply because it would be akin to a sensible pro gun VS anti gun discussion.....there is no such thing.

I know what I like and don't like in life...they are to my choosing. And when I encounter something I do not like I avoid it. If there is a place I do not like inside or outside for what ever reason I don't go there (too many options).
I do not expect pther people to change what their likes in life are to suit me.

I respect other opinions that are different than mine. I also expect others to do likewise.

The b-eye-itchin' about what other people like or dislike is such a waste of time.

I am always interested to meet people with the bully/crabbing/disparaging temperment eye to eye to see if they are as vociferous and rude as behind the keyboard.

It is another beautiful day in TV for most of us. For some the old addage applies...there is just no pleasin' some folks!!!!

btk
Sorry, but your attempt to over-simplify this whole issue into one of mere likes vs dislikes doesn't fly. I dislike country/western music therefore I don't listen to or buy it. But I certainly wouldn't be putting my personal health at risk if I mistakenly did so, or someone else played it in my presence (unless I stuff the cotton too deep into my ears). It becomes a little more than just "b-eye-itchin" about personal preferences when your behaviour is putting other's health at risk.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Sage

Regarding:
Quote:
and please do us all a favor and do not go into the "poisoned" environment.

Isn't it amazing in this day and age we can all find whatever we need to make a point; some may view others findings as "making it up" to emphasize their point....doesn't make theirs more right.
See:
"......Nicotine in third-hand smoke, the residue from tobacco smoke that clings to virtually all surfaces long after a cigarette has been extinguished, reacts with the common indoor air pollutant nitrous acid to produce dangerous carcinogens. This new potential health hazard was revealed in a multi-institutional study led by researchers with the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab).

In tests at Berkeley Lab of cellulose surfaces contaminated with nicotine residues from third-hand smoke, levels of newly formed TSNAs rose 10 times following a three hour exposure to nitrous acid. TSNAs are potent carcinogens. (Photo by Roy Kaltschmidt, Berkeley Lab Public Affairs)
“The burning of tobacco releases nicotine in the form of a vapor that adsorbs strongly onto indoor surfaces, such as walls, floors, carpeting, drapes and furniture. Nicotine can persist on those materials for days, weeks and even months.

Our study shows that when this residual nicotine reacts with ambient nitrous acid it forms carcinogenic tobacco-specific nitrosamines or TSNAs
,” says Hugo Destaillats, a chemist with the Indoor Environment Department of Berkeley Lab’s Environmental Energy Technologies Division. “TSNAs are among the most broadly acting and potent carcinogens present in unburned tobacco and tobacco smoke......”

Study reveals dangers of nicotine in third-hand smoke « Berkeley Lab News Center

This is on the U.S. Dept. of Energy scientific website. Seems like valid science to me....not "made up".
Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I am, pardon the pun, deadly serious. I want to be free to enjoy fresh clean air in my own home and yard.
You talk about a "delicate" neighbor issue!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 PM

Drinking alcohol is bad too. Do you want to ban all alcohol from the Vilages? Yeah that would go over real big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdabob View Post
For the life of me I can't understand how a licensed premise (licensed by health department or equivalent) can be allowed to permit smoking in any of their licensed areas!
The Surgeon General (Health Dept.) has determined that second hand smoke is a health hazard so..... Duh!!! This is a hazard to other patrons, employees and, yes, the smoker as well.
Please allow me to enjoy a meal outside at City Fire Brownwood (or any other establishment) without having to share in your habit.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crummybuttons View Post
drinking alcohol is bad too. Do you want to ban all alcohol from the vilages? Yeah that would go over real big.
like-button-jpg

Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Drinking alcohol is bad too. Do you want to ban all alcohol from the Vilages? Yeah that would go over real big.
Sorry, but you purposely miss the point.

Booze is not airborne. Thus it's not able to float onto our skin/hair, making us in need of a shower and hair wash again after doing all that before arriving.

It's also unable to float and be inhaled into our lungs while we choose to drink a soda or other nonalcoholic drink.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

smokers have far fewer designated smoking areas than non-smokers have designated non-smoking areas.

as long as each respects the other's designated areas - end of story.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM

No point missed here. You are pointing out the dangers of smoking and it's smell. Well Booze comes with dangers also along with odors. We all have choices whether they're good or bad for us. The point is, if people choose to smoke then we will. Last time I looked this was a free country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post

Booze is not airborne. Thus it's not able to float onto our skin/hair, making us in need of a shower and hair wash again after doing all that before arriving.

It's also unable to float and be inhaled into our lungs while we choose to drink a soda or other nonalcoholic drink.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post

Very True and you are right, he totally missed the point.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
No point missed here. You are pointing out the dangers of smoking and it's smell. Well Booze comes with dangers also along with odors. We all have choices whether they're good or bad for us. The point is, if people choose to smoke then we will. Last time I looked this was a free country.
Not sure what part of the hazards of second hand smoke has escaped your observation. Your Surgeon General (I'm not from the US) has determined this as fact and has brought in much legislation to try and save smokers from themselves and their neighbors.
My point is that if you choose to make bad choices (whether it's booze or smoking) then it shouldn't adversely affect others around you.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I got hooked up with a guy who was smoking cigars. I had just hit my drive when wind swept cigar smoke into my mouth and down my lungs. I gagged my guts up. I do believe in individual freedoms but honestly at that moment my thoughts were not charitable.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:21 PM

Here's the biggest issue I see. Your dining experience does rely on your sense of smell. Anyone who has had a cold and can't breathe through their nose, will notice there's not much taste to their food. Cigar and cigarette smoking affects your dining experience. Wouldn't you agree that the main objective of a restaurant, is for people to eat food? I really don't think entrepreneurs open restaurants, in the hope of having people come in and smoke without eating. Some people who don't smoke or have stopped smoking find it offensive while eating, BECAUSE eating does rely on your sense of smell. Lets try this. There are a group of people who LOVE the smell of dog...... lets go with poop. They bring it with them wherever they go eat. They breathe it in and blow the smell to others in the restaurant while they eat. Would the same smokers be saying, well it's there right to bring poop into restaurants? I know I'm eating but hey, the love the smell of it and the smell of dog poop does not affect my dining experience, the food still tastes great and it's their right to bring dog poop into the restaurant and fill the restaurant with the odor. I know this is a extreme example, but it is not out of the realm in today's society.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Is there a full moon ?????
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Very True and you are right, he totally missed the point.
And I would hazard a guess that it was an intentional miss. It was just another lame attempt to justify what the smokers have got to know is WRONG. Until it's made illegal some will continue to smoke wherever they damn well please, regardless if it offends or puts other's health at risk. Their so-called "right" to pollute the air trumps anything & everything.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.