Is Dabney too isolated now and long term ?

Old 02-10-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
My question would be: do you want a brand new house? If you were willing to consider a pre-owned house, you could possibly get a patio villa in an established neighborhood where you would know where all of the amenities, shopping, entertainment, Dr's offices, etc. already exist, in some cases for close to the same price as new houses. Some houses have the bond paid off or the bond is small compared to new houses. Some houses have made enhancements you might like, & some might have landscaping you might like. Some have had upgrades done recently like new roofs or new HVAC. However, if you want new, then the newly being developed areas are your choice, but none of us will be able to predict the future.
I want new. I've always been happier with my new purchases. And you are right, the question I'm posing is probably not fair as it is all speculation. I guess I threw it out there hoping for responses that help me decide between the choices in front of me. It would also be a no brainer for me if someone had inside info that they are definitely going to build another bridge across the turnpike further south in the future.

The responses have already helped provide some clarity and a couple more things to investigate. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
If you are in the southern end of Dabney, by golf cart, it is about 20 minutes to Sawgrass and about 40 minutes to Brownwood. Eastport should be about 30-35 minutes.

If you visit, be sure to take a golf cart ride from Dabney and do a few test drives - Eastport, Sawgrass, Brownwood, etc. and find out what you think of it. And then ask yourself if you want to do this every time you play golf or visit a town square or entertainment square (Sawgrass). Doing it once is ok - doing it every time gets old.

However, it will take several years for Eastport to be developed. As of now, there is no commercial space open in Eastport. The good news is that they plan on building a lot of courses in Eastport - at least four executive and possibly six. I have a map showing Beautyberry, Bellaire, Honeysuckle, and Laurel Oak and I think I saw another map showing a couple more that are "planned." I think one of the executives may open this year.

If I were moving here and had a choice of Dabney and Eastport, if I could afford it, I would move to the Eastport area instead of Dabney. You will be close to a town square and lots of golf and recreation. I can't see Dabney ever being close to anything - except easy access to the Turnpike.

There are new homes in Eastport under $300,000. I would think that they would have a much better chance of appreciating in value based on location. Houses bought near Lake Sumter have really gone up in price.

This is a map of the Villages. The Villages recently bought some land on the NE side of the Turnpike just south of 470 and Dabney . If they put a golf course and commercial space in this area, it would be great. Unfortunately, they never tell us their plans which makes it difficult to know if you are buying in a good area.

The Villages(R) Community Map - Explore & Find Your Way Around
Thanks much!
Old 02-10-2024, 10:48 AM
Veteran member

Those estimates are high. We are 5 minutes south to 470 from Lake Denham by cart and 10 minutes to Sawgrass. So 15 minutes tops to Sawgrass by cart and 23 to Eastport (it takes us 17 min to go to Eastport).

I thought I heard 11 golf courses are being build below the Bexley Bridge. I could be wrong but a couple look let me it won’t take long to open.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,185 Times in 836 Posts

Depending on your financial situation, hopefully you are not just squeaking by with your income/cost projections... I would consider my location way ahead of saving a few thousand dollars. Over the ten years you will spend in a home the 30K dollar difference works out to less than the cost of the roof you will need to replace when you sell.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:20 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,133 Times in 561 Posts
Default Lake Permitting

If Lake County permits the altering of 470 with roundabouts, then access to the new country club idea will be realized and development might step up? For sure commercial is ready to go, but the developer has been known to change things up even after other decisions were announced. The Villages owns down to Honeycutt.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 02-10-2024, 11:34 AM
Location: Georgia, S.C., Pa., West Va.,Tenn, Tx, Fl. Hemingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Depending on your financial situation, hopefully you are not just squeaking by with your income/cost projections... I would consider my location way ahead of saving a few thousand dollars. Over the ten years you will spend in a home the 30K dollar difference works out to less than the cost of the roof you will need to replace when you sell.
Some folks prefer being off the main road. As stated 30k should not be the highest priority. A lifestyle visit for several days will help. What do you want to be close to outside the bubble, Orlando or Tampa airport, I-75 north or south, Florida turnpike, or within a cart drive of your favorite entity inside the bubble? TV is 20 miles north to south and growing south and 4-7 miles east to west with virtually no expansion. What works for you may not work for the next guy. TV has what it has. Where will it fit for you is up to your wants and needs. My preference as a renter for 10 years is between 466 and 466a.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:48 PM

I live in Lake Denham. I previously lived close to Sawgrass Grove. The area was too busy for me. I now live in a much quieter area. There are plenty of stores and restaurants on 27 which is only about a 6 minute drive. I'm only about 30 minutes to the Costco or Target in Clermont. I love the walking trails close to my house. The village I was in before had walking trails, but my house was nowhere close to them. The only thing that I'm missing close by is a Starbucks.

I looked at Moultrie Creek. The proximity to the high school takes it off my list. When the high school was on 466, the traffic was horrendous.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFitness View Post
I want new. I've always been happier with my new purchases. And you are right, the question I'm posing is probably not fair as it is all speculation. I guess I threw it out there hoping for responses that help me decide between the choices in front of me. It would also be a no brainer for me if someone had inside info that they are definitely going to build another bridge across the turnpike further south in the future.

The responses have already helped provide some clarity and a couple more things to investigate. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
It's unlikely a Turnpike bridge will happen until they start expanding the Turnpike to three lanes. Last I looked that was still on the to be planned list.

I know you want new (we're there same...), but you can't customize the builds today and the selection/quality of materials has shifted to lowest cost/builder grade. Everyone describes design now days as very disappointing.

You might want to take a look at pre-owned built these past 3-4 years South off the Turnpike for almost new, higher quality homes as a compromise.

Easy access to Brownwood, Sawgrass and Eastport.

Last edited by Altavia; 02-10-2024 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callalily View Post
I live in Lake Denham. I previously lived close to Sawgrass Grove. The area was too busy for me. I now live in a much quieter area. There are plenty of stores and restaurants on 27 which is only about a 6 minute drive. I'm only about 30 minutes to the Costco or Target in Clermont. I love the walking trails close to my house. The village I was in before had walking trails, but my house was nowhere close to them. The only thing that I'm missing close by is a Starbucks.

I looked at Moultrie Creek. The proximity to the high school takes it off my list. When the high school was on 466, the traffic was horrendous.
I second what Lily said. The trails here in Lake Denham are fabulous and you'll bust out 10 flat miles on a bike before your butt hurts...lol. I'd like to present a different take on this question. We looked all over TV...top to bottom....and met some genuinely nice folks along the way. Bid on a house on Palmer Legends but they wanted 700k and realistically it needed a 250k gut and rehab. New house started to look better. But here's a very main ingredient in our decisions....the nice folks. After a career of working in hospitals we didn't want to be the neighborhood first responders because everyone around us is older, and we wanted a neighborhood where garage parties and group activities are definitely going to happen after 2 PM. Golf addiction is not everyone's focus. There are posts that read as.... why else would anyone move to TV?. It's actually individualized and not always centered around golf. Some may say that the golf centric north is pretty to look at but it's terribly overcrowded with the most aged population in TV
Old 02-10-2024, 03:38 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Look at resales between 466 and 44 before you jump. Might be more convenient for things you do and places you shop
Old 02-10-2024, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I would go with Moultrie Creek over Dabney for sure. You're going to be much more central to other neighborhoods and closer to Magnolia Plaza and the 4 golf courses south of Warm Springs.

I would say there's basically zero chance they would add a third bridge over the turnpike. There's little benefit to the developer in doing so, especially for the cost that would be involved. The two current turnpike bridges are reasonably sufficient in providing good connections between different Villages and amenities.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,716 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgInLakeDenham View Post
I second what Lily said. The trails here in Lake Denham are fabulous and you'll bust out 10 flat miles on a bike before your butt hurts...lol. I'd like to present a different take on this question. We looked all over TV...top to bottom....and met some genuinely nice folks along the way. Bid on a house on Palmer Legends but they wanted 700k and realistically it needed a 250k gut and rehab. New house started to look better. But here's a very main ingredient in our decisions....the nice folks. After a career of working in hospitals we didn't want to be the neighborhood first responders because everyone around us is older, and we wanted a neighborhood where garage parties and group activities are definitely going to happen after 2 PM. Golf addiction is not everyone's focus. There are posts that read as.... why else would anyone move to TV?. It's actually individualized and not always centered around golf. Some may say that the golf centric north is pretty to look at but it's terribly overcrowded with the most aged population in TV
I'm not suggesting that everyone moves to TV with the primary objective of accessibility to golf. I think some do, and I think the way TV markets itself suggests that no matter where you are you will have it. That's misleading.
Since the OP stated a concern about driving north, I was pointing out that if golf is a main reason for coming to TV, and why he or she would be driving north, it would be wise to know and experience the travel to the courses.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgInLakeDenham View Post
Quite a bit of assumptions in this post. Neighborhoods vote on when they would like to have driveway parties. The reason some are at 2:00 is because the neighbors are close knit. They golf, play cards, exercise, and more TOGETHER. 2:00 is a great time to have lunch TOGETHER after enjoying their favorite activities. Some activities go into the night but usually couples want to have a nice dinner alone and enjoy US time. US time gets easily lost if you are not careful. Evening hours are a perfect time to schedule that in.

Golf is crowded because older folks? Not even going to comment. You obviously do not golf.

You were in healthcare and are unaware that people do not die or become extremely ill in chronological order? A sixty something yr old has as much chance of suffering a heart attack or stroke as an eighty something. Some people are predisposed of dying or suffering illness at an early age. Others live into their nineties without many health issues. Unfortunately, you will witness this. Be prepared to say a final goodbye to many you meet here. None of us know WHEN this will happen. Most of the time, It catches us by surprise.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

If your gut is telling you something, listen to it! The developer has enough land to build for MANY MORE YEARS. In 6 months, new villages will become available. These may provide what you are looking for. Until then, JUST WAIT. It is obvious Dabney and Denham is not a perfect fit for you. Why settle?
Old 02-11-2024, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,589 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Quite a bit of assumptions in this post. Neighborhoods vote on when they would like to have driveway parties. The reason some are at 2:00 is because the neighbors are close knit. They golf, play cards, exercise, and more TOGETHER. 2:00 is a great time to have lunch TOGETHER after enjoying their favorite activities. Some activities go into the night but usually couples want to have a nice dinner alone and enjoy US time. US time gets easily lost if you are not careful. Evening hours are a perfect time to schedule that in.

Golf is crowded because older folks? Not even going to comment. You obviously do not golf.

You were in healthcare and are unaware that people do not die or become extremely ill in chronological order? A sixty something yr old has as much chance of suffering a heart attack or stroke as an eighty something. Some people are predisposed of dying or suffering illness at an early age. Others live into their nineties without many health issues. Unfortunately, you will witness this. Be prepared to say a final goodbye to many you meet here. None of us know WHEN this will happen. Most of the time, It catches us by surprise.
We moved from an established village where 95% were original owners. Every gathering was between 1&3pm, only once a month. Anything outside once a month was frowned upon. Golf group of 11 only played once a week between 9-10a, cause nap was important. Not that we don’t love parental units, but we stopped wanting to live with or near them at college age.

As many as 4 times a week bus with lights visited our neighborhood. So yes you get higher percentage of AED calls or AL move, which ends up house for sale. Not that dying or dead affects us like others, both of us were trauma 24/7 it was everyday event.

Younger moves in, but it’s never your house, it’s always ( “you live in _______dead person’s house, I miss them)”. We do miss the 3 WW vets, they are fascinating, but also depressing because they were so lonely.

South of 44 we are in the upper 20% of age, some in their 40-50s. Big change, in gatherings, men’s and women groups weekly, golf groups 5 days at any time with any course of 100 plus golfers.

As for parties with entertainment sometime food trucks or elaborate Bring your own dish, sometimes it’s weekly, bring a chair, drinks, and throw money in bucket for entertainment. No voting it’s a staple for neighbors to enjoy. Posted on site

Not sure how long we will stay in this house, but number 5 is always a possibility. We found for US new far outweighs one preowned

Tags
south, dabney, turnpike, save, development

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.