Denham vs Dabney vs Moultrie

Old 05-02-2024, 12:59 PM

Go north. Plenty of golf, shopping, med offices, etc.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:44 PM

That doesn't sound bad at all. Actually it sounds very normal!
Old 05-02-2024, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Im guessing the 'ameneties' that have been mentioned here escaped the glossy sales brochures at the printing deadline!
I have asked in a lot of these threads, what amenities I am missing in Lake Denham. I don't golf so I'm not concerned about that, but it seems the only thing that perhaps we don't have much of. I'm interested in trying a pitch and putt and/or putting course. I will feel less intimidated to try these since I'm not yet a golfer.

But apart from that I just don't know what I'm missing. We have rec centers, with the usual stuff, pools, clubs, etc. As far as restaurants, we are close enough to Brownwood and Lake Sumter for me. I don't plan on eating out 5 nights a week and the golf cart ride is fun. I make an afternoon of it, ride up to a square, do some shopping, have some drinks, dinner, watch the band, head home. 30 minutes isn't a long ride to do that.

I'll tell ya, I drove up around the Spanish Springs area with all the shopping (forget which road it was but a very large divided road) and I wouldn't want to live near there in a million years. It reminded me of Route 1 in Saugus. Yikes.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I have asked in a lot of these threads, what amenities I am missing in Lake Denham. I don't golf so I'm not concerned about that, but it seems the only thing that perhaps we don't have much of. I'm interested in trying a pitch and putt and/or putting course. I will feel less intimidated to try these since I'm not yet a golfer.

But apart from that I just don't know what I'm missing. We have rec centers, with the usual stuff, pools, clubs, etc. As far as restaurants, we are close enough to Brownwood and Lake Sumter for me. I don't plan on eating out 5 nights a week and the golf cart ride is fun. I make an afternoon of it, ride up to a square, do some shopping, have some drinks, dinner, watch the band, head home. 30 minutes isn't a long ride to do that.

I'll tell ya, I drove up around the Spanish Springs area with all the shopping (forget which road it was but a very large divided road) and I wouldn't want to live near there in a million years. It reminded me of Route 1 in Saugus. Yikes.
We spent a lot of time researching and spending time in each of the areas, in the end it was Lake Denham or the Enclave for us. We decided to be snowflakes for a few years so Lake Denham won out based on costs.

There's no doubt that different areas have benefits and downfalls, all based on personal preferences. The north has great mature landscaping but not much else we found attractive. The center is a nice blend of newer houses and somewhat mature landscaping but much like the north its too crowded, too busy and close. In the south you have longer drive times and may have highway noise in some places but we found everything else about it preferable. I'd guess for every different person that went through the same exercise they'd have as many unique experiences.

We have a new house on a dead end that backs up to the swamp so its very peaceful, new pool laid out just as we like, new landscaping we picked out, miles of walking paths, picking the color of paint inside and out, neighbors of like mind etc. We enjoy it very much. That said, we have higher bond, higher taxes, you might hear highway noise if you're outside and the wind is just right.

To each his own and I hope everyone is as happy with what they picked as we are.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post

A little sarcasm in my post....when you mentioned gas stations for milk etc. Everything else I actually agree with you and LeRoy. Except Route 1 in Saugus....that’s part of the lore on that stretch!
Old 05-02-2024, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
A little sarcasm in my post....when you mentioned gas stations for milk etc. Everything else I actually agree with you and LeRoy. Except Route 1 in Saugus....that’s part of the lore on that stretch!
Route 1 was always a bit congested, but man, the last time I was there, maybe 5 years ago, it was brutal. Could not move at all. And with the dinosaur and plastic cows gone, what's to see? Is the Leaning Tower still there, I have no idea? Heck even Kowloon is slated to close soon.

We are, I guess it's called, snowflakes. In the colder months I'd say the turnpike noise can be a real problem in Lake Denham. I know LeRoy said it's intermittent. But we heard it inside more than a few times. But my wife was just down this week and it was only noticeable early in the morning. I think the warm humid air helps a lot.

I agree with LeRoy a lot too on walking trails, and nature. It's more of what we are looking for. I was so excited when our alligator moved into the pond behind my house.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Keep in mind if you are considering Dabney and Lake Denham, it will be quite a haul to get to Eastport and Brownwood by golf cart. A crossing of the turnpike at 470 for golf carts has zero possibility because there has to be an entrance and exit from 470 onto and off of the turnpike. Semi tractor trailers are permitted to use the ramps as well as regular automobiles. Commercial goods use the entrance to supply Leesburg and other areas; it isn’t just a Villages area. But, if golf cart transportation is your thing, Moultrie Creek has a lot to offer, otherwise count on a car to do most things.
I think 'zero possibility' might become a 100% possibility soon. I'm expecting the golf cart bridge across the turnpike at 470 to be announced soon-maybe as soon as Tuesday at the 'Night with the Developers' being held at the Sharon. I am told it will be a golf cart only bridge-one 'pre-fabbed' off site, similar to the Chitty Chatty and Water Lily bridges. Those went up pretty quick. Wouldn't involve relocating turnpike exits at all-it would be just north of the entrances/exits. If you walk back in that area-you will see the surveying already being done-and the 'walking path' behind the southern most villas already graded to be easily expanded into a 'multi modal'. Makes Eastport a 10 minute car ride and 15 minute golf cart ride away, and puts Middleton just as close (access down Landstone Boulevard-the 'back' way). I live in Lake Denham-and this is exactly why I bought there. All this in one year-not 5 or 10. One of us is probably wrong, and one of us is probably right-Betting we'll find out soon!
Old 05-02-2024, 11:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeefe45@aol.com View Post
I think 'zero possibility' might become a 100% possibility soon. I'm expecting the golf cart bridge across the turnpike at 470 to be announced soon-maybe as soon as Tuesday at the 'Night with the Developers' being held at the Sharon.
Why would they build a bridge after the fact that would cost $10M+ just to make two poorly located villages have easier access to Eastport?

Quote:
I am told it will be a golf cart only bridge-one 'pre-fabbed' off site, similar to the Chitty Chatty and Water Lily bridges.
Told by whom?

Quote:
Those went up pretty quick.
5+ years each is "quick"?

Quote:
I live in Lake Denham-and this is exactly why I bought there. All this in one year-not 5 or 10. One of us is probably wrong, and one of us is probably right-Betting we'll find out soon!
Good luck, that's quite the optimism. I'm getting used to things in TV running at a snails pace. Like the announced restaurant at Okahumpka from almost a year ago having almost zero progress, or a single building at Edna's taking almost a year to complete.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I think 'zero possibility' might become a 100% possibility soon. I'm expecting the golf cart bridge across the turnpike at 470 to be announced soon-maybe as soon as Tuesday at the 'Night with the Developers' being held at the Sharon. I am told it will be a golf cart only bridge-one 'pre-fabbed' off site, similar to the Chitty Chatty and Water Lily bridges. Those went up pretty quick. Wouldn't involve relocating turnpike exits at all-it would be just north of the entrances/exits. If you walk back in that area-you will see the surveying already being done-and the 'walking path' behind the southern most villas already graded to be easily expanded into a 'multi modal'. Makes Eastport a 10 minute car ride and 15 minute golf cart ride away, and puts Middleton just as close (access down Landstone Boulevard-the 'back' way). I live in Lake Denham-and this is exactly why I bought there. All this in one year-not 5 or 10. One of us is probably wrong, and one of us is probably right-Betting we'll find out soon!
The developer is having a heck of a time unloading his inventory in Dabney and Denham. A bridge would make that area more attractive. Yes! I can see it happening. It would protect his future builds. Sometimes, you have to spend money to make money.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Anything is possible.
Around 2011, on Interstate 93 just outside of Boston, there was a project titled Fast 14. 14 bridges were prefabricated...off site and over the course of ten weekends....were replaced. A five year project completed in less than two months. Little or no disruption to traffic. Yes it was a taxpayer funded infrastructure project....but it proved that it can be done with proper planning. A dedicated singular prefab MMP bridge would be a cake walk for the developer...given his relationship with the Gov and his administration. So I’m not questioning this posters ‘insider hot take’....just that I’ve seen it done and it definitely could happen
Old 05-03-2024, 03:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,272 Posts

Quote:
I think 'zero possibility' might become a 100% possibility soon. I'm expecting the golf cart bridge across the turnpike at 470 to be announced soon-maybe as soon as Tuesday at the 'Night with the Developers' being held at the Sharon. I am told it will be a golf cart only bridge-one 'pre-fabbed' off site, similar to the Chitty Chatty and Water Lily bridges. Those went up pretty quick. Wouldn't involve relocating turnpike exits at all-it would be just north of the entrances/exits.
In 5 years, that area will look nothing like it is today. The Developer has significant property available south of 470.

As mentioned previously, that interchange is being redesigned will be replaced as part of the Turnpike Widening to 8 lanes and 470 reroute and widening to 4 lanes.

The state now requires pedestrian access for all new overpasses across the Turnpike.

The West Orange Trail has a new bridge under construction across the Turnpike that is similar to the Waterlilly Bridge.

Turnpike Design work just started and construction scheduled over the next 5+ years.

If I recall correctly, Don Wiley who is also on the regional road committee, indicated an MMP over the Turnpike is likely.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
The developer is having a heck of a time unloading his inventory in Dabney and Denham. A bridge would make that area more attractive. Yes! I can see it happening. It would protect his future builds. Sometimes, you have to spend money to make money.
I'm not sure how you define "heck of a time" but according to the Lake County property appraiser, who's data is usually 6 weeks or so behind, through early March 91.1% of Lake Denham had been sold and even 52.5% of Dabney had been sold. Over 20% of the unsold in Dabney are the interior lots in the "enclave", which, it appears, are a little less desirable in that area.

Time to quit bashing Dabney. Yes, if using your golf cart for everything is a BIG requirement, then it's probably not for you. If you like having a post office about a mile away (Okahumpka PO) or all sorts of shopping just a little further down the road on US 27 in Leesburg, then it's a GREAT location.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,080 Times in 552 Posts
Default Don’t Go Personal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
I'm not sure how you define "heck of a time" but according to the Lake County property appraiser, who's data is usually 6 weeks or so behind, through early March 91.1% of Lake Denham had been sold and even 52.5% of Dabney had been sold. Over 20% of the unsold in Dabney are the interior lots in the "enclave", which, it appears, are a little less desirable in that area.

Time to quit bashing Dabney. Yes, if using your golf cart for everything is a BIG requirement, then it's probably not for you. If you like having a post office about a mile away (Okahumpka PO) or all sorts of shopping just a little further down the road on US 27 in Leesburg, then it's a GREAT location.
It isn’t just the Developer who is taking hits, it’s national. Larger builders like Lennar, D.R. Horton, and Toll Brothers have all had disappointing housing starts data. Some gimmicks working to attract buyers are “builder” mortgages that are lower than the market’s 7-8% range. The Tampa market is getting crushed by the economy and Fed policymakers. It will take time to adjust to normal building paces.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Normal; 05-03-2024 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Why would they build a bridge after the fact that would cost $10M+ just to make two poorly located villages have easier access to Eastport?
I think you answered your own question
Old 05-03-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I think 'zero possibility' might become a 100% possibility soon. I'm expecting the golf cart bridge across the turnpike at 470 to be announced soon-maybe as soon as Tuesday at the 'Night with the Developers' being held at the Sharon. Betting we'll find out soon!
I hope you're correct, I'd like to collect on that 6:1 beer bet I have with Normal. I think the fact that he never really agreed to the bet isn't all that important.

Tags
denham, area, areas, beverage, dinner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.