District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I can just imagine the lawsuits filed by the perpetrators. The $100,000 will be chump change compared to the lawsuit for libel, slander, false arrest to name a few potential causes of action. No way is the Sheriff, the developer or any other entity going to name anyone without some hard proof and that proof is going to be hard to come by.

Neighbors, and the guilty homeowner, are going to claim they thought the trees were being cut down by some government agency. They have no clue what neighbor did it or paid to have it done will be the response by all, even if they positively know who did it. Even with a lot of luck, proving this crime beyond a reasonable doubt will be difficult if the homeowner had even a modicum of common sense and some smarts. The odds are the folks who actually did the deed are going to keep quiet for fear of criminal charges.

Folks, let it go. Someone committed an obscenity and got away with it. No matter how much we would like to see the perpetrator(s) brought to justice, the odds are against it.
Redwitch, by my observations you are always reasonable and nearly always right, and you certainly may be right about this, but isn't your take on this exactly what the original perps want the citizens of this community to do? All I want is to know the facts. If there is no evidence then so be it. But if wood is stacked in a yard, isn't it reasonable to demand to know why? And if it's not reasonable to know why, then tell me the rationale for that. If the body politic is paying the bill, then we have a right to know the facts and hear an explanation.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
I think the people that benefited from the tree removal should be looked at a little closer. Maybe a set in at the address would work.We could have a pick nick. Even block the street. Lets face it that deal works just like the government of the US. You will never know. Money talks and BS walks. Bubba is alive and doing fine.
You sound like just the person to lead such an endeavor.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:48 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

It just feels like "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark." Hamlet 1.4

It would be nice if whichever entities investigated this crime would open their books, so to speak, so the public would be informed as to the processes followed, what was done, who was interviewed, what they said, and so on. Some details would be nice, thank you very much!

All we got was a broad brush conclusory statement that it was looked into and the perps could not be identified. What?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-26-2015, 12:50 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
It just feels like "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark." Hamlet 1.4

It would be nice if whichever entities investigated this crime would open their books, so to speak, so the public would be informed as to the processes followed, what was done, who was interviewed, what they said, and so on. Some details would be nice, thank you very much!

All we got was a broad brush conclusory statement that it was looked into and the perps could not be identified. What?

Exactly. Two questions should be answered; Is the Sumter County Sherriff's Office totally incompetent? If so, that should concern all residents. Or were they being asked to step down and look the other way. Also, this should be a concern to residents who pay their salary and now will pay the damages and fine.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:19 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I can just imagine the lawsuits filed by the perpetrators. The $100,000 will be chump change compared to the lawsuit for libel, slander, false arrest to name a few potential causes of action. No way is the Sheriff, the developer or any other entity going to name anyone without some hard proof and that proof is going to be hard to come by.

Neighbors, and the guilty homeowner, are going to claim they thought the trees were being cut down by some government agency. They have no clue what neighbor did it or paid to have it done will be the response by all, even if they positively know who did it. Even with a lot of luck, proving this crime beyond a reasonable doubt will be difficult if the homeowner had even a modicum of common sense and some smarts. The odds are the folks who actually did the deed are going to keep quiet for fear of criminal charges.

Folks, let it go. Someone committed an obscenity and got away with it. No matter how much we would like to see the perpetrator(s) brought to justice, the odds are against it.
The defense to libel, slander (defamation) is the truth. If it is true that the trees cut down in the restricted area contains the same wood stacked behind someone's home , a home located at the location of the criminal act then do you not have a beginning. Is there not enough of a question to pursue this investigation? I seriously doubt any one of those people strongly suspected of this misdeed would follow up on a lawsuit. They may threatened one but if they proceed then they allow a free hand (opened the door) at investigating this incident and for a criminal investigation there is motive and opportunity. And, for a counter civil suit against the alleged perps there is a breach of a tort ,injury and damages.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The defense to libel, slander (defamation) is the truth. If it is true that the trees cut down in the restricted area contains the same wood stacked behind someone's home , a home located at the location of the criminal act then do you not have a beginning. Is there not enough of a question to pursue this investigation? I seriously doubt any one of those people strongly suspected of this misdeed would follow up on a lawsuit. They may threatened one but if they proceed then they allow a free hand (opened the door) at investigating this incident and for a criminal investigation there is motive and opportunity. And, for a counter civil suit against the alleged perps there is a breach of a tort ,injury and damages.
We need Professor Irwin Corey to weigh in on this.[emoji6]
Old 06-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

"Folks let it go"
Why?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:40 PM

Why not get together and hire a private investigator? It shouldn't be that expensive and I would bet some answers would be found.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
If it is true that the trees cut down in the restricted area contains the same wood stacked behind someone's home , a home located at the location of the criminal act then do you not have a beginning. Is there not enough of a question to pursue this investigation?
I'm sure that the Police would love to solve this crime.
I'm also sure that the Police have already explored all of the Obvious leads. They are being met with a conspiracy of silence.
The Police can suspect, like everyone else, but without proof, they can't arrest.
I hate the idea of the fine being paid out of our pockets, but I don't think picnics and sit ins and roadblocks will accomplish diddly.
It's frustrating. But at this stage of our life, one thing we've all probably learned is that life isn't always fair.
Sometimes the bad guys win.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm also sure that the Police have already explored all of the Obvious leads. They are being met with a conspiracy of silence.
The Police can suspect, like everyone else, but without proof, they can't arrest.
I hate the idea of the fine being paid out of our pockets, but I don't think picnics and sit ins and roadblocks will accomplish diddly.
It's frustrating. But at this stage of our life, one thing we've all probably learned is that life isn't always fair.
Well maybe, but I haven't heard the Fat Lady sing yet? But I am a bit hard of hearing
Old 06-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
especially if they have mucho dinero
Old 06-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,997 Times in 2,198 Posts

In one of my previous posts I made some suggestions about increasing the reward. It appears this tree removal is not going to go away (and it should not), and it appears the only way this is going to be solved will be to raise the reward to a level that someone speaks up. Maybe. we the people paying for this should take up a collection to increase the reward? I have no idea how this would be organized, but it would be interesting to see how much would be raised and if it would make a difference.
If no one came forward to claim the increased reward, the money collected could be held for a future incident, or donated to a suitable charity.
What do you think?
Old 06-27-2015, 05:05 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Actually I agree with barefoot because I have witnessed liars lie in court under oath and get away with it more times than I care to remember. But I learned the hard way it doesn't matter what is true it making those truths facts/evidence in a court of law.

We watched a President, a lawyer himself perjure himself. We watched a mother who killed her child in Florida walk free and continues to attempt to write a book for a big cash payoff. That is the reality and I recognize it is what we in America have become and worse yet people like this are rewarded

I personally continue to participate in this thread because of this and because of the same reasons many of you do and that's a demand for truth and the rule of law.

In this case its likely the perpetrators have already committed to their position and if so they lied and they will never recant those lies because of what followed this incident.

People can complain that this thread is done, beating a dead horse....but to me it is a clear example of the goodness, demand for fair play and demand for truthfulness and the rule of law of this, our generation
Old 06-27-2015, 05:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

See my signature
Old 06-27-2015, 06:09 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'd be willing to bet that the Sheriff knows exactly who did it but has no hard proof. Circumstantial evidence rarely wins in a court of law. Personally, I really don't want my tax dollars thrown away on a trial that will go nowhere. I also sincerely hope that the neighbors are totally ostracizing this homeowner. Bridgeport Lake Miona has some pretty close knit friendships. It would be nice if these folks had a block party every week and made sure the perpetrators were never invited. At least it would be a little justice.

As to opening the files to show what the Sheriff has or has not done to investigate this matter, not gonna happen and, personally, I wouldn't want it to. That's not how our justice works today. Imagine if a file had your name in it as a possible suspect but you're completely innocent. Would you want your name bandied around?

The reason I say let it go is simply because I doubt there will ever be enough proof to do anything. Knowing who did it is just not enough. Even knowing who was hired is not enough. The individuals who physically cut down the trees might be brought to trial. They could even name who hired them but, without a physical trail, it be comes a he said/he said. Again, hard to convict under those circumstances.

And, finally, while truth is always a defense against libel and slander, you must be able to prove what you said was true in a court of law. Good luck on proving this one.

And I am now going to return to my world, with a sincere wish that the folks who had those beautiful trees removed get a very swift, hard kick in their self-entitled behinds by Karma.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.