District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit since its aim is to belittle or hurt someone, and to laugh at their expense; we associate the word 'cutting' with it.

.... and now back to this question of illegal tree cutting. I may be in the minority here, but I do not think that Ms. Tutt or the Developer have given up on this problem. I have heard that Ms. Tutt is like a dog with a bone and will shake it to death until the truth falls out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
You may be in the minority, but you are definitely not alone. I wholeheartedly agree.
Add me to the "minority" side. I also don't believe the Developer is using any influence, he may or may not have, to cover this up.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I don't think the trees are being replaced with mature ones. Probably about the size of a reforestation tree. But they grow like crazy. In fact they may be 50 feet tall by the end of this thread.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
I don't think the trees are being replaced with mature ones. Probably about the size of a reforestation tree. But they grow like crazy. In fact they may be 50 feet tall by the end of this thread.
Post #435 wins my vote for best post.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:20 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

Chi-Town, thanks for the morning laugh. You have perfect timing, too. ......

Where oh where is Carl Hiaasen when we need him.......

I would be happy to offer him a working title.........Treed
Old 06-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Chi-Town, thanks for the morning laugh. You have perfect timing, too. ......

Where oh where is Carl Hiaasen when we need him.......

I would be happy to offer him a working title.........Treed

Hi there Boom.

Treed it is!
Old 06-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post
Unfortunately, alot of residents are probably of the mindset that if there isn't any increase in my amenity/maintenance fees, I don't care. There is no such thing as a free lunch and somewhere along the way, we're all paying for it. I would rather have a little "bad press" than allow things like this to be swept under the rug. What will it be next time?
Good point. Who is to say what we could do with that $100K to improve our community rather than spend it to repair the misdeeds of the Tree Cutting Scofflaws! I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why this has to be!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Sage

I think a lot of people in this thread are accused of not caring when they really just don't think there is a dark, hidden cover-up conspiracy. As has been said many times before, seeing what appears to be an obvious solution to a crime and proving those allegations are two totally different things.

I definitely care, but I also like to give community leaders and law enforcement the benefit of the doubt...within reason of course...that they're doing the best they can.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I think a lot of people in this thread are accused of not caring when they really just don't think there is a dark, hidden cover-up conspiracy. As has been said many times before, seeing what appears to be an obvious solution to a crime and proving those allegations are two totally different things.

I definitely care, but I also like to give community leaders and law enforcement the benefit of the doubt...within reason of course...that they're doing the best they can.

That is exactly how I see it too.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Default Good post

Quote:

So what are they doing?
Old 06-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why this has to be!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I'd be willing to bet that the Sheriff knows exactly who did it but has no hard proof.
Redwitch has the answer as to "why this has to be". I think more than a few people know the identity of the culprits who arranged for the tree massacre. We all find it extremely frustrating. But if it can't be proven, they can't be charged.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Gold member

I think if they just billed that district for the deed, then maybe someone would possibly spill the beans.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
So what are they doing?
My guess would be...their job.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:23 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

It seems to me the primary potential suspects are few in number, those who in some manner might benefit from the trees being cut down.

Could a civil action be brought by the district to recover its costs (fine(s), tree replacement, overhead, and so on) incurred due to the commission of any tortious act(s)? Plus, the public has had to pay for the time spent by law enforcement and CDD management on this matter, time which might have been spent on more productive endeavors.

The burden of proof for a civil action is normally less than for a crime - the preponderance of the evidence rather than beyond a reasonable doubt or whatever it may be in Florida.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-28-2015, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
So what are they doing?
Why don't you call and ask them?
Old 06-29-2015, 05:58 AM
Sage

This seems, from the outside looking in, a breach of the district's fiduciary responsibility to the owners. Perhaps a query at the attorney general's office is in order.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.