Do developers listen or care

Old 05-25-2024, 06:49 AM

We've been here for 4.5 years and are very, very happy.

Most other people living here are too from our experience.

We have noticed that there are a few people who seem to have a dark storm cloud over their heads at all times.

Those folks only focus on the negative, and that cloud follows them everywhere.

We've traveled the world, and definitely believe there is nothing like this place anywhere. We are so glad we've found The Villages for our sunset years.

And to those naysayers...get some help. Try to find and uncover the good things surrounding them.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 05-25-2024, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,887 Times in 1,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post

Nobody is perfect. But I can say with absolute confidence that I trust the way The Developer does things, far more than I trust the judgment of any of the naysayers.
Couldn't agree more.

I'll add it's also thanks to the (+20,000?) employees that manage, design, build, sell and maintain this development.

Old 05-25-2024, 06:59 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,951 Times in 3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPRICE1234 View Post
(a)It seems that many complain about the developer.
(b)Houses are sitting and discounts are not working.
(c)Now Moultrie Creek is over priced and starting to sit.

(d)Why are the developers so rigid? I was told they won't help w closing or any points. No haggling of any kind?
(a)Very few complain. Very few. They are noisey and people like to listen. A lot of the noise are from people who don't live here.

(b)Compared to what??? "the good old days"?? "other markets"??

(c)Opinion.

(d)Very successful business model. Remember, they are Land Developers and the model continues to work. It's simple, here is the price.......take it if you want. Maybe if you buy from an owner directly you can get your haggle satisfied.

Enjoy the Journey.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:02 AM

Having built in Osceola Hills in 2016 and watched as the rest of the area was built out, I have a great respect for the Developer’s business sense. While many homes were built and sat for many months, he/she controlled the inventory that was available for sale. After a house sat on the market for some period of time (3-4 months???), the price would be discounted 4-5% and the house usually sold quickly. I don’t remember ever seeing a bigger discount than the first one offered.

The designs offered have changed over time which indicates that the Developer is listening. Of course, lots with a rear view are more desirable and are priced accordingly. The Developer will stop building houses when the last house doesn’t sell. Until then, it looks like the market based economy is working well.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 05-25-2024, 07:12 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,799 Times in 483 Posts

Does the Developer listen and care? Absolutely! Otherwise, most of us would not have purchased here in the first place, and would have sought out a better retirement community (and I visited many throughout the country, and The Villages is beyond compare, in my opinion).
Old 05-25-2024, 07:15 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
We've been here for 4.5 years and are very, very happy.

Most other people living here are too from our experience.

We have noticed that there are a few people who seem to have a dark storm cloud over their heads at all times.

Those folks only focus on the negative, and that cloud follows them everywhere.

We've traveled the world, and definitely believe there is nothing like this place anywhere. We are so glad we've found The Villages for our sunset years.

And to those naysayers...get some help. Try to find and uncover the good things surrounding them.
Most of the negative replies are from those that don't live here but wish that they did.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:20 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,799 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Most of the negative replies are from those that don't live here but wish that they did.
I’m learning that many of the negative posters on TOTV either don’t live here, or spend very little time here during the year. Something to remember when reading their posts.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
Having built in Osceola Hills in 2016 and watched as the rest of the area was built out, I have a great respect for the Developer’s business sense. While many homes were built and sat for many months, he/she controlled the inventory that was available for sale. After a house sat on the market for some period of time (3-4 months???), the price would be discounted 4-5% and the house usually sold quickly. I don’t remember ever seeing a bigger discount than the first one offered.

The designs offered have changed over time which indicates that the Developer is listening. Of course, lots with a rear view are more desirable and are priced accordingly. The Developer will stop building houses when the last house doesn’t sell. Until then, it looks like the market based economy is working well.
The designs have not changed. Still the same cookie cutter homes built 20+ years ago. What has changed is interior walls were removed between the kitchen/dining/living areas for an open concept. A few other VERY MINOR changes but essentially the same floor plans.

A buyer has a choice to buy a new home with a larger garage and small lawn. Or, an older same model with a large lawn and smaller garage.

Most buyers do not recognize the homes have the same floor plans. I was with a friend and asked him why he wanted to pay $100,000 more for the same model. When I pointed to him the SAMENESS he bought the cheaper.
Old 05-25-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I just don't understand the OP's questions. If you need 'help' buying a home, then you are buying too much home. Am I the only one who thinks that?
I don't need help buy I also won't turn down a discount. I was told the developer won't give a discount, won't say which sites can have a fence.
Even if I could pay cash, I always try to get something off.
If I could put up a fence, fully approved by TV, this would not be an issue.

A home with out a fence for 340k and a similar home with a fence for 380k is hard to swallow.

I offered a 25k non refundable deposit on a 9k lot. I said I will sign whatever to say I will pay in full when the house is move in ready. That way I can sell my home. They said no. It just seems to be one way. That's why I'm looking for advice.
Old 05-25-2024, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
I don't need help buy I also won't turn down a discount. I was told the developer won't give a discount, won't say which sites can have a fence.

A home with out a fence for 340k and a similar home with a fence for 380k is hard to swallow.

I offered a 25k non refundable deposit on a 9k lot. I said I will sign whatever to say I will pay in full when the house is move in ready. That way I can sell my home. They said no. It just seems to be one way. That's why I'm looking for advice.
So $10,000 on a lot to build is standard. When you have completed your design team appointment, you arrive on the 2-3-or 4th to go line by line, page by page initial and make any changes to your choices.

A check is written to start build, not sure what model for you, but our check was for $128,000. Plus the initial $10,000 deposit. Build started 10/22 close date was 2/15. House has 10’ walls, and 2800sf.

We have designed and built 3 homes, in other states, using our own subcontractors for everything except rough. At each stage each contractor required 1/2 to start and balance when inspection passed for their work.
Our pool was 1/3, at shell, 1/3 at deck and 1/3 balance final inspection, lot more than $25,000 for each payment.

I don’t know of any builders that would start a home anywhere for $25,000. Unless I am mistaken it sounds like you need to sell before you can build, or need someone to bankroll until you have ability to pay balance. You may be able to find a preowned who would take your offer

Last edited by asianthree; 05-25-2024 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 01:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,713 Times in 644 Posts

Quote:
My advice is to do what the developer wants.

In 2016, we wanted to build a Laurel Oak model home. The designer said it would cost $400K and we needed to give them $80K to start building. That was in early July 2016.

We gave them a check for that amount and they said our house would be ready on Oct. 1. On that date, we gave them a check for $320K and moved in.

During the next year, we found a few minor problems in the house, called the developer, and they were promptly fixed.

Last edited by VApeople; 05-25-2024 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 03:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
What many people seem to do is sell their home first, then buy a home here, and then rent for a few months in the Villages until their home is ready to move in.
Old 05-25-2024, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,440 Times in 5,518 Posts

Quote:

They are in a position where they make the rules, seems to work for them.
Old 05-26-2024, 05:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,736 Times in 989 Posts

Quote:

I sensed from your OP that your real concern was not for the developer, but frustration on your part that despite an increase in inventory and a slowing of the market, you weren't able to dictate YOUR terms for a sale.

They are the Big Dog, and you are not, in this fight. If you really want to be part of TV, you must accept that. The Developer can afford to wait until market forces shift. They've been doing this for decades. They know the game they want to play, and they know they'll eventually sell on their terms. They also understand that once they demonstrate that they'll cave in on terms of sale, that will become the new standard, and everyone will wait for those terms again. They just don't need to do that, and they won't.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,713 Times in 644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
What many people seem to do is sell their home first, then buy a home here, and then rent for a few months in the Villages until their home is ready to move in.
Yes, that is exactly what we did 8 years ago.

Tags
developers, sit, rigid, told, starting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.