Dog dies in Alligator attack.

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2022, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ1325 View Post
The alligators were here before us. It's us that have taken their land and their home.
Well, the lakes here are man made. The Villages stocked then with fish creating a nice habitat for many forms of wildlife not found in the former pasture lands.

Problem is dumb dumb people make the animal a danger by associating humans with food feeding/catching fish, and bring dogs for them.

Alligator Safety | SREL Herpetology
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	59632A3F-C3CA-4260-897F-E0AAD96EFD28.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	93763  

Last edited by Altavia; 05-15-2022 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

I recall a group of what looked like Japanese tourists trying to get pictures of themselves almost straddling a very large gator that was sunning itself by a pond near Lake Tarpon in Palm Harbor, Florida.

Lake Tarpon, Florida, USA Vacation Info - LakeLubbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LxPAoKzbYQ

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-15-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

For the people that want to GET RID of alligators.

Florida alligator bite statistics date back to 1948, ranging around three major bites per year.

1 fatality (human) by alligators annually.
57 deaths annually from bees.
50 deaths annually from dog bites (5 million bites per year)

Don't even get me started on people killed by people annually. Maybe we should get rid of all the people?

Stupid people will do stupid things and suffer the consequences. There is no way to protect people from themselves 100%.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Problem is dumb dumb people make the animal a danger by associating humans with food feeding/catching fish, and bring dogs for them.

This is correct, and the sad reason alligators that bite have to be relocated or killed, since once they taste the dog (or child) they go back for seconds.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
For the people that want to GET RID of alligators.

Florida alligator bite statistics date back to 1948, ranging around three major bites per year.

1 fatality (human) by alligators annually.
57 deaths annually from bees.
50 deaths annually from dog bites (5 million bites per year)

Don't even get me started on people killed by people annually. Maybe we should get rid of all the people?

Stupid people will do stupid things and suffer the consequences. There is no way to protect people from themselves 100%.
If there is a thumbtack on the floor, I pick it up. Just because I might never step on it doesn't preclude me from wanting to make things better and safer. There ae lots of ways to protect people from themselves. Not 100%, but one bit at a time.

We can make our environment safer. Takes 1 brain cell to know that's a good thing. Alligators are useless pests. They provide nothing useful to me. I don't care if they wandered into a drainage pond before I lived here. There are 1,500,000 alligators in Florida. And more every year. 100 less won't matter.

You better be a 100% vegetarian. You are a hypocrite if you eat any meat if you value an alligator more than humans.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, an alligator and a dog's demise.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapX View Post
Alligators are useless pests. They provide nothing useful to me.
They make good wallets.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapX View Post
You are a hypocrite if you eat any meat if you value an alligator more than humans.
This sentence makes no sense to me. So, I will just say, have a nice life.

I am going to campaign for killing all the Bees in the neighbors - since 50 times as many people die every year from bee stings than alligator bites. But, sadly I will have to give up vegetables, almonds, fruit and honey, since I don't want to be a hypocrite.

I have given up drinking because 10,000 times as many people die each year from drunk driving. I think Alcohol should be banned.

OH, and let's ban guns too since 1200 children die EVERY year from guns in their homes. I am sure no one here would like to be a hypocrite and have a gun when so many human lives are destroyed every year.

Yeah, that's the ticket. Thank you for saving me from being a hypocrite.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

We all should be dam glad those alligators are there instead of Pythons.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
So.
A 'visitor' takes dogs, unleashed, for a walk around the pond located across from the postal station on Canal Street in the Village of Bonita.
Alligator does what hungry alligators do when they see a lunch, and takes and kills one of the dogs.
Trapper called to kill Alligator!
Why?
If someone is dumb enough to take dogs to a pond area, and let them off leash to wander, why has poor alligator got to die.
Surely owner should be charged with allowing dogs off leash, and cruelty to animals?
My entire sympathy is with alligator, and poor dog who died!
So sad all the way around, I just don’t understand anyone who allows their dogs to run off leash. It isn’t only gators that are a threat. Cars, coyote, bobcats and other dogs can be a threat you your dog no matter the size. A responsible owner does the right thing and keeps their dog ON LEASH unless in their own yard or home. It is our duty to keep them safe.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Well, the lakes here are man made. The Villages stocked then with fish creating a nice habitat for many forms of wildlife not found in the former pasture lands.

So if the lakes are man made how come we have so many gators in them. People say there are gators in every body of water in fl.....so all the little ponds etc have them? Not trying to be funny ....took my husband quite a few years to get me to agree to moving down here and now it seems my fear is coming around.
There is a very small pond close to my house, yes I assume it has a gator...I never actually check, but has someone put their little baby gator in to get things started? Why don't they just scale the ponds somehow and remove them?...can you tell I'm scared?
Again it just baffles me...we're gonna build this beautiful community, homes and streets and trees and beautiful ponds here and there...and now, bc of what...the ponds are full of gators...did they all travel at night past the gate guards from outside the TV and jump in. This isn't caveman vs Adam..this is cow field, development, ponds...now full of gators........your turn, educate me. Pls
Old 05-18-2022, 09:53 AM

FYI. I'm not sure they have captured the gator, as I drove by there the other day, and the bait traps(large poles with meat on a hook dangling above the water) were still there?! If they haven't, at this point, I don't think they ever will(definintely capture THAT gator)?
And, there are alot of myths about the dangers of alligators. They can't chew, so all they can do is drown their victims, and allow them to rot, so they can ingest them. That gator left the dog floating in the pond. I also know/met one of the divers retrieving golf balls from the ponds. He's been bitten about a dozen times, with no real serious injuries. He carries a stick, and pokes them around the eyes, and they swim off. I met him(and watched) while working the golf courses.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,670 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalumbos62 View Post
So if the lakes are man made how come we have so many gators in them. People say there are gators in every body of water in fl.....so all the little ponds etc have them? Not trying to be funny ....took my husband quite a few years to get me to agree to moving down here and now it seems my fear is coming around.
There is a very small pond close to my house, yes I assume it has a gator...I never actually check, but has someone put their little baby gator in to get things started? Why don't they just scale the ponds somehow and remove them?...can you tell I'm scared?
Again it just baffles me...we're gonna build this beautiful community, homes and streets and trees and beautiful ponds here and there...and now, bc of what...the ponds are full of gators...did they all travel at night past the gate guards from outside the TV and jump in. This isn't caveman vs Adam..this is cow field, development, ponds...now full of gators........your turn, educate me. Pls
You don't need to be educated, just reassured. Unless you are swimming in the ponds you are very unlikely going to be bitten by an alligator. Enjoy the wonders of our Florida wildlife that shares our community.
😊
Old 05-18-2022, 10:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post

OH, and let's ban guns too since 1200 children die EVERY year from guns in their homes. I am sure no one here would like to be a hypocrite and have a gun when so many human lives are destroyed every year.
Ban Guns.......hmmmmm Didn't the City of Chicago try that??
Old 05-18-2022, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalumbos62 View Post
In general, the gaters seem to prefer (migrate) to have a pond to themselves. Unusual to see more than two together.

The ponds are connected by large underground pipes for storm water control so at least the smaller ones may be moving through those.

Nothing to fear if you stay out of the water and a safe distance from the banks.
Closed Thread

Tags
alligator, dogs, dog, leash, poor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.