Electricity being misappropriated

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 04-09-2011, 10:25 AM
JenAjd JenAjd is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 613
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Had another thought on this...yes it isn't something the guy should have done! BUT...maybe there is some dementia beginning there. SOME people do strange things and their personalities change too. Just a thought.

I'd say...if it happens again then you'll have to do other measures if this "talk" with him apparently hadn't 'sunk in'!!!
  #17  
Old 04-09-2011, 12:59 PM
katezbox's Avatar
katezbox katezbox is offline
Golden Sunrise Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Village of Bonita
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Freeda,

I think this guy was one of those who had the mentality that if he was stealing from an unknown, and unlikely to get caught, that it is OK. These are the same people who complain about something insignificant in a restaurant to get some freebies, that try to sue for any minor infraction (after all, an insurance company can afford it...), that suggest splitting the bill, when their dinner makes up more than 50% of the total and that stiff the waitstaff of a fair tip.

I think your husband did the right thing. If this man tries this again, I would tell him that you are calling the police. This is stealing, plain and simple.
__________________
Holyoke, Mass; East Granby, Monroe, Madison and Branford, Conn; Port Clyde, Maine; North Myrtle Beach, SC; The Village of Bonita (April 2009 - )
  #18  
Old 04-09-2011, 03:21 PM
l2ridehd's Avatar
l2ridehd l2ridehd is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bridgeport At Miona Shores
Posts: 3,574
Thanks: 1
Thanked 293 Times in 97 Posts
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default

I guess I would take my cutting pliers, unplug his cord, coil it up until I reached him, cut it off and say thanks I needed a new extension cord.
__________________
Life is to short to drink cheap wine.
  #19  
Old 04-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Pturner's Avatar
Pturner Pturner is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Gracie, I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it seems to be the TV mentality. There really does seem to be a way of thinking that says if you're not using it and if I don't break it, it's okay for me to use it without even asking.

Personally, I think you should ask before parking in someone's driveway or at least leave a note but people just park and walk away. I suppose I could give my neighbor $0.05 for the electricity I use in trimming my bush since it takes me about 5 minutes to cut it down to size and shape and maybe a dollar for the house where the circuit breakers constantly trip. For the circuitbreaker house, I also trim the neighbor's trees, so I think they're getting the better deal.

The odd thing is I'm willing to bet the people who feel free to just use/"borrow" wouldn't have dreamed of doing the same thing in their last hometown.
Surely not. Surely people in TV know the difference between borrowing and stealing! This was stealing, plain and simple. I'm appalled.

I think I would have video taped the cord from my house back to the guy using the equipment to use for evidence. If he didn't apologize and have a heck of a good excuse, I would have sworn out a warrant for his arrest.

We are all responsible for making TV safe, fun and livable. Stealing obviously is not the way to do that. But knowingly letting TVers steal from each other-- and blowing it off as "an entitlement mentality" that equates theft with borrowing-- is not the way to do it either. If I see a crime committed, I'll report it.

Did I mention I was appalled?
  #20  
Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 PM
bkcunningham1 bkcunningham1 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,486
Thanks: 18
Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I'm shocked and amazed. I read it laughing like it was a made up tale Freeda. Unreal. He was stealing. Plain and simple. What absolute nerve.

My husband said if you are leaving your house for an extended period and want to prevent someone from using your outdoor outlets, just throw (or trip, ever how you say it) the breaker to the outdoor receptacles.
  #21  
Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 AM
scroll scroll is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Be careful

My first thoughts would be to cut the cord to make a point. But, as a cooler head should prevail I would just unplug it and wait for him to return as you did.
My reason being is that you never know who or what kind of person you are dealing with. The last thing you want to do is create a problem that could escalate like the Hatfields and McCoys. I lot more damage could be done to you and your residence than just some lost electricity. Some people can do crazy things like killing shrubs, grass, oil stains on driveways, holes in screens etc. You can call the police and get a report but until you put up surveillance cameras or get concrete proof you become the loser. Do not be a loser to a loser. You did the right thing and I doubt it will happen again.
  #22  
Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 AM
hedoman's Avatar
hedoman hedoman is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Polo Ridge
Posts: 612
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'd just give the cord a huge yank and scare the dude straight. Then cut the cord....... OR hit the breaker switch on-off on -off just to aggrevate the guy

Oh I would have some fun with this but our neighbors are too far away so no fun for me....

  #23  
Old 04-10-2011, 06:41 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,399
Thanks: 4,186
Thanked 4,688 Times in 1,605 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroll View Post
My first thoughts would be to cut the cord to make a point. But, as a cooler head should prevail I would just unplug it and wait for him to return as you did.
My reason being is that you never know who or what kind of person you are dealing with. The last thing you want to do is create a problem that could escalate like the Hatfields and McCoys. I lot more damage could be done to you and your residence than just some lost electricity. Some people can do crazy things like killing shrubs, grass, oil stains on driveways, holes in screens etc. You can call the police and get a report but until you put up surveillance cameras or get concrete proof you become the loser. Do not be a loser to a loser. You did the right thing and I doubt it will happen again.
Now that is a post by a person with good common sense.
  #24  
Old 04-10-2011, 08:24 AM
2BNTV's Avatar
2BNTV 2BNTV is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,696
Thanks: 1
Thanked 114 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Freeda:
We wondered later, trying to figure out what would cause someone to do this, if maybe not all houses here have outdoor electrical outlets (although I would assume that they do), as a reason he would have done this; although when he and my husband were talking, he never offered this as a reason for what he had done. (He didn't offer any excuse; no apology; just took his cord and left). But even if that had been the reason, we would have thought someone would at least ask in advance. (And, if we had been asked, and if the reason had been that the man didn't have an outdoor outlet, or something else that was reasonable, we would have said 'fine' - it's just the boldness of using someone else's utilities without asking, rather than the actual cost, that bothered us).[/QUOTE]

I would be extremely annoyed that someone would do something like this without getting permission. It is so inappropriate. It would not be the money but the principle for me.

My take on this person is since he didn't offer an apology for his behavior leads me to think that this person has some emotional issues within themselves.

I like the idea of turning the breaker off several imes. I would turn the breaker off when he starting trimming, wait for him to walk back to the outlet and turning the breaker back on. After doing this several times, he might feel it would serve him well to use his own electricity.

I personally would not confront him as he seems to be in his own world and could lead to a potential incident.

As Murphy Brown said, "I don't know what he calls it in his world but in my world I call it BS.
  #25  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Niels's Avatar
Niels Niels is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Villages
Posts: 491
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I can't believe the number of posters on here who said they would cut the cord (I assume AFTER they had unplugged it ). I think that by cutting the cord you take a minor problem (someone stealing your electricity) and possibly turn it into a MAJOR WAR. This person is your neighbor. Someone you might be living next to for many years. Do you really want to start an ongoing war with a close neighbor over a few cents worth of electricity?

My personal opinion is, anyone bold enough to steal someone else's electricity can probably figure out a way to get even with you several times over for cutting his cord. Just look at Scroll's post for a few ideas on how this person will get even with you.
  #26  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels View Post
I can't believe the number of posters on here who said they would cut the cord (I assume AFTER they had unplugged it ). I think that by cutting the cord you take a minor problem (someone stealing your electricity) and possibly turn it into a MAJOR WAR. This person is your neighbor. Someone you might be living next to for many years. Do you really want to start an ongoing war with a close neighbor over a few cents worth of electricity?

My personal opinion is, anyone bold enough to steal someone else's electricity can probably figure out a way to get even with you several times over for cutting his cord. Just look at Scroll's post for a few ideas on how this person will get even with you.
Ditto.

Bill
  #27  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Talk Host's Avatar
Talk Host Talk Host is offline
Founder
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I think I might try this approach.....(but then that's just me)

"Hi neighbor. I noticed that you plugged your trimmers into my outlet. I certainly don't mind you using my electricity for this small job.....after all, that's what neighbors are for....to help each other. I'm wondering if you are having some problems with your exterior outlets. We should all help each other whenever we can, and I would ask that you give me a heads up when you are going to plug into our outlet. We don't want to use the same circuit for some other appliance and blow the breaker. Hey, have a great day, and anything that we can do to help, let us know."

JLK
  #28  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I think I might try this approach.....(but then that's just me)

"Hi neighbor. I noticed that you plugged your trimmers into my outlet. I certainly don't mind you using my electricity for this small job.....after all, that's what neighbors are for....to help each other. I'm wondering if you are having some problems with your exterior outlets. We should all help each other whenever we can, and I would ask that you give me a heads up when you are going to plug into our outlet. We don't want to use the same circuit for some other appliance and blow the breaker. Hey, have a great day, and anything that we can do to help, let us know."

JLK
Perfect! That'll avoid the 'war' potential that Niels mentioned.

Bill
  #29  
Old 04-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Pturner's Avatar
Pturner Pturner is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels View Post
I can't believe the number of posters on here who said they would cut the cord (I assume AFTER they had unplugged it ). I think that by cutting the cord you take a minor problem (someone stealing your electricity) and possibly turn it into a MAJOR WAR. This person is your neighbor. Someone you might be living next to for many years. Do you really want to start an ongoing war with a close neighbor over a few cents worth of electricity?

My personal opinion is, anyone bold enough to steal someone else's electricity can probably figure out a way to get even with you several times over for cutting his cord. Just look at Scroll's post for a few ideas on how this person will get even with you.
I wouldn't cut the cord either. I agree it could escalate to a major war, but there's an even more important reason. Two wrongs don't make a right. Think about it. Wouldn't cutting the cord be fighting theft with criminal damage to property? If I run across someone whose standards of conduct I find contemptible, the last thing I hope I would do is lower my standards to his.

Flipping the breaker on and off could damage my own equipment/ appliances tied to the same breaker and would just encourage the guy to make sure I'm not home when he breaks in.

I think Freeda's husband did the right thing to talk to him first. However, unlike TH, I would not pretend that, like the thief, I also make no distinction between "neighbor helping neighbor" and theft. That would lead to a worse-case scenario, the one Red described in which TVers actually assume "entitlement" to taking from neighbors without permission (see also, theft).

Isn't acting like this is no big deal doing precisely that: granting TVers entitlement to take things belonging to others without asking? Isn't saying what TH suggests saying precisely that it's an acceptable norm?

Wouldn't kicking the can down the road-- or worse, calling it acceptable-- contribute to the problem in the long run, instead of helping to prevent an entitlement mentality from taking hold?

Last edited by Pturner; 04-10-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo
  #30  
Old 04-10-2011, 11:23 AM
duffysmom's Avatar
duffysmom duffysmom is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,063
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

This is a person I would keep my eye on. Someone who is bold enough to do such a thing is bold enough to escalate to something damaging and illegal.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.