Electricity being misappropriated

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 04-10-2011, 11:23 AM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,098
Thanks: 1
Thanked 65 Times in 27 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

I would definitely say something to the neighbor and let him know to ask first. It may be that his outside outlets trip constantly. This is a common problem here. I wouldn't damage the electrical cord. Regardless of how we feel about it, TV has a mentality I've seen nowhere else. In many ways, it is a huge plus. You know that if you're in trouble, someone will help. It can, however, lead to things like this. Yes, it is stealing but, hopefully, this neighbor didn't see it as such (although I'm not convinced since he didn't just plug in to nearest house).

I have had neighbors literally "borrow" cleaning items off of my golf cart, such as my steamer. I wasn't happy about it, but didn't say anything, just thanked them for returning the item since I thought it had been stolen. When items were returned, they were returned with a treat of some sort attached. I've given up on worrying about it. It is the way of TV.

So, while it is not something I would do without permission, I do kind of understand someone just plugging into my outlet. I chalk it up to it being a TV thing and let it slide. There are bigger things to worry about (like how could I have missed that Trivia question last Sunday or why in heck did I play THAT card at bridge).
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #32  
Old 04-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Dirigo's Avatar
Dirigo Dirigo is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Village of Liberty Park
Posts: 537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default It takes all kinds. Good thing, 'cause we got 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
What you should have done was unplug the cord, take a very sharp knife and cut the plug off the end. Drop the cord and the plug on the ground and walked away. I think that would deliver the message, quietly.....
Anything abandoned on your property becomes YOUR property, so cut away!

I wouldn't waste my breath talking to someone who shows such contempt for others.
__________________
Maine, 61.5 years. The Village of Liberty Park.


"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
  #33  
Old 04-10-2011, 12:22 PM
jgbama's Avatar
jgbama jgbama is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DeSoto
Posts: 444
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
The word is "cojones". It is Spanish for stones.
That's the word I was looking for! Thanks!
__________________
John
�If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in political speeches there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven." ~Will Rogers
  #34  
Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 PM
TrudyM's Avatar
TrudyM TrudyM is offline
Gold member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Posts: 1,089
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default We aggree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
What you should have done was unplug the cord, take a very sharp knife and cut the plug off the end. Drop the cord and the plug on the ground and walked away. I think that would deliver the message, quietly.....
Exactly what my husband said when I told him about this. Are the outside plugs on a separate breaker than the inside lines? If so when you leave for the summer you could trip the breaker. In some areas of the US the outside plugs are required to be on a GFI breaker but only one place I have lived had this requirement. In that house the breaker would trip all the time because every time the sprinkler ran there was enough mosture to trip the breaker. We intalled plug covers with a rubber gasket and tight seal to fix the problem.
  #35  
Old 04-11-2011, 01:17 PM
aljetmet's Avatar
aljetmet aljetmet is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC, Fairfield County, CT, Cordova, TN, TV 4/17/13
Posts: 759
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Just being fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
What you should have done was unplug the cord, take a very sharp knife and cut the plug off the end. Drop the cord and the plug on the ground and walked away. I think that would deliver the message, quietly.....
  #36  
Old 04-11-2011, 07:16 PM
jgbama's Avatar
jgbama jgbama is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DeSoto
Posts: 444
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I would definitely say something to the neighbor and let him know to ask first. It may be that his outside outlets trip constantly. This is a common problem here. I wouldn't damage the electrical cord. Regardless of how we feel about it, TV has a mentality I've seen nowhere else. In many ways, it is a huge plus. You know that if you're in trouble, someone will help. It can, however, lead to things like this. Yes, it is stealing but, hopefully, this neighbor didn't see it as such (although I'm not convinced since he didn't just plug in to nearest house).

I have had neighbors literally "borrow" cleaning items off of my golf cart, such as my steamer. I wasn't happy about it, but didn't say anything, just thanked them for returning the item since I thought it had been stolen. When items were returned, they were returned with a treat of some sort attached. I've given up on worrying about it. It is the way of TV.

So, while it is not something I would do without permission, I do kind of understand someone just plugging into my outlet. I chalk it up to it being a TV thing and let it slide. There are bigger things to worry about (like how could I have missed that Trivia question last Sunday or why in heck did I play THAT card at bridge).
You aren't a "sage" for nothing and not making a big deal out of it would certainly be the best course of action. If I didn't know him, I would probably introduce myself, as I was handing him back his extension cord, ask why he had to resolve to such a configuration to trim his hedges. If he just walked away without saying anything, as it appears he did, then that tells me he was not the neighbor I had hoped for and he would not be on my invite list to the next margarita party.
__________________
John
�If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in political speeches there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven." ~Will Rogers
  #37  
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM
katezbox's Avatar
katezbox katezbox is offline
Golden Sunrise Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Village of Bonita
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
...he would not be on my invite list to the next margarita party.
But we would love to be!
__________________
Holyoke, Mass; East Granby, Monroe, Madison and Branford, Conn; Port Clyde, Maine; North Myrtle Beach, SC; The Village of Bonita (April 2009 - )
  #38  
Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 PM
ajbrown's Avatar
ajbrown ajbrown is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mallory Square (9 months/year), TBD the rest
Posts: 2,632
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I think I might try this approach.....(but then that's just me)

"Hi neighbor. I noticed that you plugged your trimmers into my outlet. I certainly don't mind you using my electricity for this small job.....after all, that's what neighbors are for....to help each other. I'm wondering if you are having some problems with your exterior outlets. We should all help each other whenever we can, and I would ask that you give me a heads up when you are going to plug into our outlet. We don't want to use the same circuit for some other appliance and blow the breaker. Hey, have a great day, and anything that we can do to help, let us know."

JLK
One week later TH sees the gent again......

Hey neighbor. I noticed you were siphoning gas from my car to fill your gas cart. I certainly do not mind..... BTW, while we are being neighborly could you ask you wife to at least wear a bathing suit when using our pool when we are not here ?

PS. I cannot imagine plugging into someones elses electrical outlet without asking......

Last edited by ajbrown; 04-11-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: wording
  #39  
Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM
jgbama's Avatar
jgbama jgbama is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DeSoto
Posts: 444
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
But we would love to be!
You're on the list. Hopefully in 15 months that can become a reality! I'm so pumped, I can't get off this forum long enough to finish my income tax!! Here I am thinking about a margarita party a year from now! Well, that ain't all bad is it??
__________________
John
�If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in political speeches there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven." ~Will Rogers
  #40  
Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 PM
K9-Lovers's Avatar
K9-Lovers K9-Lovers is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Posts: 2,135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
You're on the list. Hopefully in 15 months that can become a reality! I'm so pumped, I can't get off this forum long enough to finish my income tax!! Here I am thinking about a margarita party a year from now! Well, that ain't all bad is it??
The same bug bit Mr. K9 and me. We were in Ohatchee, Alabama just obsessed about moving to TV and looked at every youtube video, post on TOTV, house for sale, or anything else we could find. Now we've been here one year May 1st and couldn't be happier. You'll get there . . . margarita party and all.
__________________
K9-Lovers
  #41  
Old 04-11-2011, 10:34 PM
tudacee's Avatar
tudacee tudacee is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 165
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't know, cutting the cord only intensifies the situation, and if the guy is a bit of a cuckoo, who knows what could happen. I think what your husband did was the best way...unplug it, and let him know you know and want it stopped.
  #42  
Old 04-12-2011, 07:31 AM
quirky3's Avatar
quirky3 quirky3 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,696
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default "The Way of the Villages" ?

Hello - This is my first post, although I have been reading TOTV for many months. I especially follow the "lost kitty" postings, and I'm rooting for Oliver to be found!

I am/was seriously considering The Villages - I need to work through the end of 2013 though (bummer!)

I currently live happily in a gated community near Jacksonville. I want to know more about the sense of entitlement and intrusiveness that seems to be "The Way of the Villages". While I like the idea of neighborliness and building a community of friends, I have to be honest and say it does not appeal to me to live in a community where people don't really respect normal boundaries.

For example, I would not want cars parked in my driveway or things missing from my golf cart - and I am a very friendly person. Just brought up to respect peoples' privacy. I am wondering if TV is a very good match then.

Please tell me more about what to expect in that regard - I'm not sure a Lifestyle preview visit would give me that.

Thanks very much -
  #43  
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,196
Thanks: 2,908
Thanked 2,466 Times in 903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Hello - This is my first post, although I have been reading TOTV for many months. I especially follow the "lost kitty" postings, and I'm rooting for Oliver to be found!

I am/was seriously considering The Villages - I need to work through the end of 2013 though (bummer!)

I currently live happily in a gated community near Jacksonville. I want to know more about the sense of entitlement and intrusiveness that seems to be "The Way of the Villages". While I like the idea of neighborliness and building a community of friends, I have to be honest and say it does not appeal to me to live in a community where people don't really respect normal boundaries.

For example, I would not want cars parked in my driveway or things missing from my golf cart - and I am a very friendly person. Just brought up to respect peoples' privacy. I am wondering if TV is a very good match then.

Please tell me more about what to expect in that regard - I'm not sure a Lifestyle preview visit would give me that.

Thanks very much -
WELCOME TO YOU.. I liked you when you said you were concerned for Oliver.

I think that this issue and other issues like it are so much discussed on here because they are far from the norm.

I just had an email from a dear neighbor who said she gave permission for another neighbor to park in our driveway because they were having their driveway painted.

That is something that is different here than in Ohio where we grew up, but driveways are longer and wider on our street in Ohio and are never painted. We don't mind. The people who are parking are newer neighbors and the neighbor who gave permission for us is a year 'round resident and someone we truly care a lot about and trust with our keys while we're gone.

People are people and there are some little differences in manner and accent from one geographic area to another.

I generally feel that the friendliness comes from our age and our lack of having to go to work, although there are lots of people still working.

Please come down and see. If you miss the Crispers and if we are home, I will have a little gathering for you so you can ask real people, real questions.

You just won't believe how nice it is here.
  #44  
Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

quirky - I think you'll find that things like what was noted in this thread (using a neighbor's electricity) happen VERY infrequently in proportion to the total number of residents in TV. In my mind, you'll have a few knuckleheads like that EVERYWHERE - in TV, Jacksonville, OH, wherever.

I wouldn't let it have a big influence on your thought process regarding TV. We didn't let it influence ours!!

Bill
  #45  
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 AM
jgbama's Avatar
jgbama jgbama is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DeSoto
Posts: 444
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
The same bug bit Mr. K9 and me. We were in Ohatchee, Alabama just obsessed about moving to TV and looked at every youtube video, post on TOTV, house for sale, or anything else we could find. Now we've been here one year May 1st and couldn't be happier. You'll get there . . . margarita party and all.
I've been through Ohatchee! Didn't realize y'all were fellow Alabamians. Cool!! My golfing buddy and a couple we play with on Thursdays are also planning to move to TV. An Air National Guard friend moved down in 2005. He is the one who introduced us to TV! His mother-in-law has lived in Silver Lake for 30 years!

Another TOTV sent me an extra copy of the book offered through TOTV. It came in the mail yesterday and I've already read it. My wife is the reader in the family, but I didn't put this book down until I finished it. Great information.

We had a place in Panama City Beach that was becoming a financial drain, but now that we have sold it (March 3rd), I'm getting more and more pumped to get our place here ready to put on the market.

We probably won't make it for a week this year, but may come and stay in the motel at LSL for a few days. Taking the wife on a cruise in October.

Can't wait to become a "frog"!
__________________
John
�If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in political speeches there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven." ~Will Rogers
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.