Free ebook download sites

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts
Default Free ebook download sites

A while back someone posted a few sites for downloading free ebooks. There were a couple or three sites. I thought I bookmarked the thread but can't find it now. I've done a search for free ebook threads on the forum, but there are so many of them, I thought I might ask here if anyone remembers the title of the post or what member it was. I have a friend who received a Kindle Fire and wants to find some free sites.

I'm hoping someone with a better memory than mine might be able to help!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
A while back someone posted a few sites for downloading free ebooks. There were a couple or three sites. I thought I bookmarked the thread but can't find it now. I've done a search for free ebook threads on the forum, but there are so many of them, I thought I might ask here if anyone remembers the title of the post or what member it was. I have a friend who received a Kindle Fire and wants to find some free sites.

This site will help your friend find some free books for kindle:
eReaderIQ.com | The Easier, Faster, Smarter Way to Kindle!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 PM
TOTV Moderator

Cfrance.... As I recall, the websites that were posted allowed illegal downloading of commercial/copyrighted material or purchase of CDs with similar protected content. The Admin deleted the thread since it discussed or promoted copyright violations.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Sage

No, these were definitely not illegal downloads. The are legal sites for this.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Sage

Moderator, i think, for instance, one site is the Gutenburg Press, and another was Library of Congress. I found this list of free legal download sites. 10 Websites To Download Free eBooks - AppNewser. I thought i had ascertained that the poster's sites were all legal. I could be wrong, though.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:59 PM
TOTV Moderator

Cfrance.... Yes, there are a lot of old classics that are free to download. The thread I am referring to discussed some questionable methods for obtaining recent best sellers at low or no cost.

You might try to do a TOTV site search on ebooks and see what pops up.

Also both Sumter and Lady Lake libraries now offer free ebooks for their patrons.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Sage

How about paying the author for his work?? Seems fair to me.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Sage

Mulligan, on the free legal sites, either the copyright has expired, or the author has already been compensated in some way and agrees to have the book offered for e-book reading. This isn't about ripping the author off. We are not trying to do that.

When you borrow a book from the library, you aren't paying the author either.
And actually, even when you buy an e-book, you don't own it forever. After a certain number of uses, albeit many, many uses, it comes off your e-reader.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I have a Kindle Fire... I am a avid reader, both Ebooks and audio.. The site that I use ... and it is AMAZING is "Overdrive.com" this site is connected to your library.. you type in your zip code and off you go.. it will connect you with the group of librarys.. "free" you just need your library card.. I still have my card from NY and will be down in TV full time in 2 weeks.. I will have to see how it works there.. You will need to down load the "overdrive app" to the Kindle.. The Kindle is an Android... You can borrow for up to 3 weeks then puff the are gone... This site will keep your friend busy for a long time because its the library!! I just checked and the zip code for The Villages does not come up.. You can use.. Lady Lake - 32159 Leesburg - 34748 I would love to hear what you think....:-)
Old 07-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Platinum member

Mollypeanut, I just discovered today that the the Sumter County Library system (the Villages has 2 Sumter County Libraries) is now affiliated with Overdrive. I haven't had a chance to go through the books to see if there are any new good ones listed, or how easy it is to borrow books this way, but I'm hopeful it will be a piece of cake! We have waited a long time for this to happen in The Villages.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Gold member
Default Library ebooks are somewhat limited

At least that is what I am finding. For instance, maybe you have a favorite author, or have discovered an author who has a series of books - I am finding only 1 or 3 out of 8 or 10 titles available as an ebook, both from my large library up north and even more limited with the Sumter County library. Lots more are still available as actual printed books than in ebook form.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Platinum member

Sumter library books are quite limited. However, the process is easy. I downloaded two books to my Kindle today. They also have e-pub format.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollypeanut View Post
I have a Kindle Fire... I am a avid reader, both Ebooks and audio.. The site that I use ... and it is AMAZING is "Overdrive.com" this site is connected to your library.. you type in your zip code and off you go.. it will connect you with the group of librarys.. "free" you just need your library card.. I still have my card from NY and will be down in TV full time in 2 weeks.. I will have to see how it works there.. You will need to down load the "overdrive app" to the Kindle.. The Kindle is an Android... You can borrow for up to 3 weeks then puff the are gone... This site will keep your friend busy for a long time because its the library!! I just checked and the zip code for The Villages does not come up.. You can use.. Lady Lake - 32159 Leesburg - 34748 I would love to hear what you think....:-)
Mollypeanut, I wonder... We have a library card for the library down by 466A. Would that enable us to use the other libraries you mentioned--Leesburg and Lady Lake? I looked at the site, and it appears you have to have a card for the library system(s) that have the book you want. I still have my Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh card and have been borrowing books for my kindle from them, and also from the one here in Muskegon, Michigan, without having to download an app. I am not sure if this site would help me any further, but it sure is interesting to look at! Thanks for the info.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Mollypeanut, I wonder... We have a library card for the library down by 466A. Would that enable us to use the other libraries you mentioned--Leesburg and Lady Lake? I looked at the site, and it appears you have to have a card for the library system(s) that have the book you want. I still have my Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh card and have been borrowing books for my kindle from them, and also from the one here in Muskegon, Michigan, without having to download an app. I am not sure if this site would help me any further, but it sure is interesting to look at! Thanks for the info.
Because "Overdrive.com" is web based... Where ever you have a library card from you should be able to sign into their group of libraries.. My card is in NY until it expires I will be able to use it.. You have 2 cards!! you would be able to look at 2 different library groups.. it can be very enjoyable.. While it may be limited to how many books are available from an author that you like... It is still free... I am always able to find something I want to read or listen to.. You can also download an audio book.. I enjoy listening in the car.. I plug the Kindle into the audio jack and away I go!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Default Bassett Books

Bassettbooks.com is another website. They have a daily newsletter like eReader.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.