Golf Ball Breaks Window

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You can get an estimate from a vendor and then decide whether it is worth while to file a claim. If you have a deductible and the cost appears to be less than the deductible then I don't see the point in involving the insurance company. If you don't know whether you have a deductible or whether the deductible actually applies to the issue at hand, you can always call and ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
If you call to have someone come out from the insurance companyand tell you how much it costs, that is a claim. Isn't that right?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

There might not be an insurance premium on golf course homes. The price premium is typically on the lot and you don't insure the dirt. In other words, your home owners insurance is proportional to the cost of the house and the price of the lot doesn't matter. I guess there could, however, be a surcharge on golf course homes because of the higher risk of golf ball damage - not sure as I don't live on a golf course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
If you want to live on a golf course that is a problem you have to deal with. with golf course lots costing $100,000 extra, the homeowner must handle the extra cost of the insurence premium he will have to pay and I don't think it will put him in financial ruin. Thats just the reality of your choice and bad swings.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:55 AM

It is an inherent risk of living on the golf course and as a player you are not responsible to replace window. I would however, leave a card at their home and offer some type of message.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefireguy View Post
I'm not of a golfer but I have always heard that the measure of ones character is often better determined by what he/she does when no one else is looking than by public statements or in plain view actions.
......or by pontificating on this forum.

Don't play golf and don't live on a course. But, I got hit by a ball while riding my motorcycle. And my neighbor's house sustained a broken window from an errant tee shot super slice.

Last edited by eremite06; 01-14-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
I would offer to pay. If, however, the resident came out ranting, raving, and cussing me out, I would tell them to pound sand.
Now that's funny!!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Take responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
As I understand the intent of this thread, it's not about legal views ---- it's about moral values
---- taking responsibility for damage we've caused and advising our children to do likewise.
I agree---if you are a "true etiquette golfer" you will pay for the broken window. That's the responsible thing to do.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

I would pay for the broken window. I'm living in my 8th house on a golf course and I've never had a window broken, but if someone broke a window and offered to pay for it I'd let them know that I had it covered. I won't walk into someone else's yard to retrieve a ball, but if it could be reached with a ball retriever I'd do that. I do not like it when others come into my yard to retrieve a ball, but if I were outside and they asked I'd certainly allow it. I'd probably even pick it up and hand it back if I were closer than they were.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
......or by pontificating on this forum.

Don't play golf and don't live on a course. But, I got hit by a ball while riding my motorcycle. And my neighbors house sustained a broken window from an errant tee shot super slice.

A few years ago a ball went over our house and broke the car windshield.

Covered by auto comprehensive insurance without a deductible (a house window would have cost me).

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM
Sage

Tucillo - thanks for your informative post. I have lived in several golf communities, including having a home adjacent to a fairway and green. It has always been the practice that a homeowner is responsible for golf ball damage. After all, you have an expectation that errant golf balls are a part of the environment you selected.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:12 PM
Veteran member

As my Grandpappy would say, "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!"

Yes, over the years I've paid for 2 windows, a parking lot ding, a couple of broken things in friends homes and a broken borrowed tool, --- and taught my kids to do likewise if the occasion arose.

Why "cost" other people if I am such a klutz??!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Sage

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones or live on a golf course.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
I'm living in my 8th house on a golf course
Sweeeeeeeet! I'm on my 2nd. Fingers crossed, I haven't had a broken window yet.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

There was a post on TOTV several months back about a home in Naples, FL that has been hit by over 30,000 golf balls in 15 years. You'd have to wear a hard hat and body armor to be out in that yard putzing around.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Sweeeeeeeet! I'm on my 2nd. Fingers crossed, I haven't had a broken window yet.
It's unlikely that you'll ever have a broken window, but if you do I hope the golfer will fess up. Best of luck!! How soon are you moving down here for good?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.