Golf Ball Breaks Window

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2015, 11:49 PM
Sage
Default Golf Ball Breaks Window

I'm honestly not sure what I would do. It hasn't happened to me yet and I hope it never does. But I see a lot of posts saying, legalities aside, the golfer should take responsibility for their actions. I can't help but think....the homeowner has taken an action in deciding to buy on the golf course. Where is the responsibility for that action?

Some in the golfer-should-take-responsibility-for-their-action crowd sound a bit holier-than-thou to me. I just don't think it's clear-cut enough to look down on those who would play on and leave it to the homeowner.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:10 AM
Sage

L
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think what Kitty meant by the ideology of envy is something like this;

Some people can afford to live on higher priced lots on the golf course. Probably due to working hard, working long hours, sacrificing a lot along the way, being conservative in expenditures, waiting to retire, living carefully and saving their money.

And some people cannot afford to live on higher priced lots on the golf course. Sometimes the golf cart lot livers are envied due to no bad deed of their own.

No one knows for sure, but I don't think we have many drug dealers living on those expensive lots. And if the people who live on a golf course lot can afford them...then enjoy them thoroughly.

You worked hard and you deserve it Kitty. You carried the world's problems on your back and in your heart. I hope you enjoy the view and the lovely home for a very long time.
i·de·ol·o·gy
ˌīdēˈäləjē,ˌidēˈäləjē/Submit
noun
a system of ideas and ideals, especially one that forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy.
"the ideology of republicanism"
synonyms: beliefs, ideas, ideals, principles, ethics, morals; More
the ideas and manner of thinking characteristic of a group, social class, or individual.

Spot on, GG.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:21 AM
Sage

I would pay for the damages I caused, as "it is the right thing to do".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-15-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
actually you are not allowed to retrieve it per instructions from the Good Golf School
I don't go on their property but get my ball retriever out and use that to get my ball from their yard. I also use it to get my ball out of traps that I don't want to play from. Then I don't have to rake.....
Old 01-15-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Legally not responsible for costs, but demonstrates the degradation of our society. Don't take responsibility for your own actions or misdeeds if you don't have to. A sad commentary !!
Hooray for this comment. You are the kind of person I could be friends with!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The20Percent View Post
I find it telling how many of those that say they would pay for the damage will say nothing more than it's their responsiblity for hitting their ball off course, while the others that do not appear to not want to accept responsiblity for the damage, appear to make different explainations (excuses?) about why they shouldn't have to pay for the damage they caused.

If I scrapped up against someone's car in the parking lot by misjudging my car's parking space, then I would feel responsible and wait for the driver to return or leave a note on their car. I see no difference with hitting my golf ball carelessly, or in the wrong direction and breaking out someone's house window...both these actions have (unintentionally) caused damaged to an innocent person's property and I hold myself morally responsible for my actions. It's a matter of character and my parents and grandparents alike both taught me to have good character. It may not immediately feel good to fess up and pay up, but I feel that if I treat my fellow man the way I would wish to be treated if something like this happened to me, I will never have to doubt my decision, consciously worry, or worse yet be a bad example to those that may wish to emulate me.
I applaud you!!!!
Old 01-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I'm honestly not sure what I would do. It hasn't happened to me yet and I hope it never does. But I see a lot of posts saying, legalities aside, the golfer should take responsibility for their actions. I can't help but think....the homeowner has taken an action in deciding to buy on the golf course. Where is the responsibility for that action?

Some in the golfer-should-take-responsibility-for-their-action crowd sound a bit holier-than-thou to me. I just don't think it's clear-cut enough to look down on those who would play on and leave it to the homeowner.
That's how I see it too. If I made the decision to buy a house in harm's way I have to take responsibility. I would do what was possible to protect my investment. Others may put a greenhouse on the back and cringe everytime someone swings.

I don't envy the golf course lot owners. Why should I?
I don't like being told what I feel, what I think or being told I'm an unfit parent.

I really would like to own a lot that overlooks a pond. I enjoy watching and taking pictures of water birds. That's not envy either. I wish I was a better golfer too. Is that envy?

As far as do unto others,,,,I would never impose my values on anyone or tell anyone else they are unfit to be a parent. I don't want that done to me either.

I should let this go. I usually avoid confrontation. But stealing someone's golf bag is wrong as is not paying for a dented car door but somehow I'm lumped in with those people too.

What if you broke a glass at a restaurant? I wouldn't pay for that either. But that doesn't mean I would steal a glass. And if I knocked over someones drink, I would apologize and buy them a drink.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
That's how I see it too. If I made the decision to buy a house in harm's way I have to take responsibility. I would do what was possible to protect my investment. Others may put a greenhouse on the back and cringe everytime someone swings.

I don't like being told what I feel, what I think or being told I'm an unfit parent.

I really would like to own a lot that overlooks a pond. I enjoy watch and taking pictures of water birds. That's not envy either. I wish I was a better golfer too. Is that envy?

As far as do unto others,,,,I would never impose my values on anyone or tell anyone else they are unfit to be a parent. I don't want that done to me either.

Maybe it does seem holier than thou, but my view is colored by having lived in Golf Course communities for over 40 years, but the ones we lived in were on ONE golf course. Members dined and drank at one club house and we were in numerous golf groups and leagues so if you broke a window you were with people who would know you and know the homeowner and know a lot of folks in the community who golfed.

You were made. Period and amen and there was no getting around it. Plus we were always taught that golfers acted like ladies and gentlemen. There was a time like that and many did. A window pane generally is not going to cost a LOT, but in my view it is the right thing to do. If you broke it, you bought it.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Well said. Golf is a sport based on honor and integrity.

Quote:
Maybe it does seem holier than thou, but my view is colored by having lived in Golf Course communities for over 40 years, but the ones we lived in were on ONE golf course. Members dined and drank at one club house and we were in numerous golf groups and leagues so if you broke a window you were with people who would know you and know the homeowner and know a lot of folks in the community who golfed.

You were made. Period and amen and there was no getting around it. Plus we were always taught that golfers acted like ladies and gentlemen. There was a time like that and many did. A window pane generally is not going to cost a LOT, but in my view it is the right thing to do. If you broke it, you bought it.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
...the ones we lived in were on ONE golf course. Members dined and drank at one club house and we were in numerous golf groups and leagues so if you broke a window you were with people who would know you and know the homeowner and know a lot of folks in the community who golfed...You were made...
I can see how that would be a major factor. Nevertheless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Well said. Golf is a sport based on honor and integrity.
This is the type of post that brings holier-than-thou to mind...the strong implication that those who would walk on have no honor and integrity. I take great exception to that.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:

I really would like to own a lot that overlooks a pond. I enjoy watching and taking pictures of water birds. That's not envy either. I wish I was a better golfer too. Is that envy?

We taught our kids that we pay for accidents. They have passed that onto their kids.
I wonder how the members of a golf group would react if one of their members broke a window and just kept walking. Personally, I would never play with that person again. Sometimes, you just have to do the right thing and "man up".
Old 01-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
We taught our kids that we pay for accidents. They have passed that onto their kids.
I wonder how the members of a golf group would react if one of their members broke a window and just kept walking. Personally, I would never play with that person again. Sometimes, you just have to do the right thing and "man up".
You've really touched a nerve with this thread!
From the people who feel "You broke it, now pay for it". To the opposite viewpoint ...
"People who live on golf courses need to accept that there will be hit-and-run golfers".
I agree with you Sandtrap, that sometimes you just have to do the right thing and man up.
It just seems wrong to think that someone can break a window, take no responsibility, and happily continue playing golf.
And that is not a "holier-than-thou" statement.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
You've really touched a nerve with this thread!
From the people who feel "You broke it, now pay for it". To the opposite viewpoint ...
"People who live on golf courses need to accept that there will be hit-and-run golfers".
I agree with you Sandtrap, that sometimes you just have to do the right thing and man up.
It just seems wrong to think that someone can break a window, take no responsibility, and happily continue playing golf.
And that is not a "holier-than-thou" statement.
But it's not black and white, one way or another. It's complicated as most things are in life. I will tell anyone that I broke their window. I would first call the starter shed and tell them to look into it just in case someone got hurt and they might need help. I just won't pay for the window because they wanted to live where golf balls go and not protect themselves.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Sage
Default Golf Ball Breaks Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post

Obviously I picked the wrong phrase..."just keep walking". I don't mean that some action or show of concern should not be shown. But I think almost everybody would eventually continue playing. That's all I meant.

But "never play with that person again"? Really?!? If you were playing in a group when such an unfortunate event took place, would you call off the rest of the round? I don't think so. After whatever action you deem appropriate...writing a check, leaving a business card, whatever...I think it's a pretty safe bet you'd continue playing. Does that mean your group-mates should never play with you again?

Quote:
...I just won't pay for the window because they wanted to live where golf balls go and not protect themselves.

I find it hard to argue with this simple statement. I even have a little problem with the use of the word 'accident' to describe this occurrence. To me an accident is something that can be avoided.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Obviously I picked the wrong phrase..."just keep walking". I don't mean that some action or show of concern should not be shown.

But "never play with that person again"? Really?!? If you were playing in a group when such an unfortunate event took place, would you call off the rest of the round? I don't think so. After whatever action you deem appropriate...writing a check, leaving a business card, whatever...I think it's a pretty safe bet you'd continue playing. That is, if you could get down off your high horse long enough to swing a club.
//// i was too preachy
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.