Golf Cart Connection

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2007, 03:11 AM
Default Re: Golf Cart Connection

Gratton, Well said
Old 12-12-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff
784caroline, I am driving my third golf cart since moving to FL. Each and every time I was asked by the dealer if I wanted a standard motor or a high speed motor (wink, wink) I have only owned the standard which is rated at 19 or below mph. The people here that we are afraid of are getting gas carts and taking off the governor in order to gain speed. The electric carts we are in fear of are the ones where the motor and differential (I believe it is called that) are specially geared to go faster than the normal cart. These carts, not registered to legally drive on the main roadways, sometimes exceed 35mph. That is REALLY fast when traveling on the golf cart paths. It doesn't take a genius to know when someone is coming at you in excess of 19mph. If you currently live in TV, you know that to be true. Today's Observer had a great article on how the Sheriffs Dept has modified it's fight against cart speeders. Forget a speeding ticket for the cart driver. They will charge him/her with driving an unregistered vehicle, report the violation to insurance companies, require the driver to appear before a judge, and, if they are inclined to do so, they can lock up the driver. I can see this happening when you get a speeder who has been at the 2fors at the town centers and is heading home driving like a NASCAR driver. I'm all for the increased enforcement. The life they save may be mine or someone I love. The standard golf cart is not designed to be safe when traveling at speeds over 19mph. Enough said? The only time I want to appear before a judge is when I serve on jury duty.
Golf carts that exceed your 19 MPH are not standard carts they have improvements.

So I agree standard carts should not exceed the 19 MPH. The faster carts have different tires.
Now I don't feel 23 to 25 MPH is all that bad, however above 25 is in my opinion excessive. So when we talk about another 5 MPH were not talking about allot. Besides you can get just as hurt at 10 MPH. Yes you may get a ticket and fined but thats up to the individual who did the crime.

I think the people who drive carts and think they are in cars is more pathetic than this speed issue with carts. Tons of people in carts have no idea how to drive them, regardless of the speed issue. Many don't turn on the lights at nighttime and forget to use the turn signals, and they sneer at you like it's your fault. Many times I feel like I am in France driving for my life with the French. Who in my opinion are the most ignorant drivers in the world.

Maybe someone should start a thread here about who are the worst drivers you have experienced around the world and why.

Finally I understand and agree with you on the speeds of 35 MPH in carts. Those are the ones who should receive the wrath from the Sheriff because that speed is severely in excess not a cart doing 25. Although if caught should be ticketed for speeding thats it nothing more.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:14 AM

I keep hearing 19 MPH, or 19.5 MPH, or some other number. Can someone cite the legislation that spells that out ? I have heard that it also was a federal standard ? Anyone know ?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Talk Host
Glad to see that Golf Cart Connection finally signed on as a sponsor. They deserve our business and hopefully will meet everyone's wishes at the point of sale and folllow up service.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Chacam
Did anyone ever write you a private note providing the legal "citation" for 19.5 MPH as the max speed for golf carts in TV??
I know, I as well as many, others would probably be interested in seeing this.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Gold member

For us, the purpose of the golf cart is to get us from here to there--safely--not how fast it can be done. Being insurance-conscious, we headed over to the AAA office in Spanish Springs and had an eye-opening chat with an agent who had nothing to gain (she had already referred us to the Allstate office as we want insurance that would allow anyone we designate to drive our golf cart). She told us about two fairly recent fatal accidents, one involving someone hitting a curb (which is not all that hard to do...), and another accident in which the driver was so badly hurt (think it was nerve damage in wrists and arms) that it'll be months and months of recovery. As with driving a car, I know that I must be conscious not only of my own driving but that of other drivers around me. It shouldn't be any different with a golf cart....
Old 12-16-2007, 05:12 PM

Florida statute----Title XXXII, Chapter 320 deals with motor vehicle licenses and states the following in subsection 22.

(22) "Golf cart" means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour.

Don't know where all this 19MPH bs came from. Lots of misinformation and rumors out there.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...n%2001#0320.01
Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Veteran member

Not owning a golf cart, I look at this issue in the context of personal freedoms. I like extra speed ability. When I pass an eighteen-wheeler that's making me nervous with what appears to be an unstable load at 80 mph....I'm not worrying about my cholesterol level. And, I like taking full advantage of my 300 HP high performance screamer at those times. The freedom to purchase a high performance anything is a good thing to have. Golf carts should be no exception.

There are those among us who can handle speed with ease. If hot golf cart performance is want we want, why not have it? Extra power and speed can be used with good judgement. Unsafe drivers who are caught violating the law should be punished. Simple. These unsafe drivers have drivers licenses, do they not? Points? Suspension? Revocation? Law enforcement is key.

I think the issue centers on a balance of common sense and ability. Not heeding shortcomings in both of those areas inevitably leads to catastrophe at some point. Darwin's Theory can be applied at any age. The unfortunate thing is that the Darwin Award contenders sometimes injure others who do possess common sense and ability in full measure.

Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 12-16-2007, 07:07 PM

Please read Fl law regarding golf cart type vehicles. Has nothing to do with how fast you drive it. If they can go more than 19.5 mph they are illegal.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:51 PM

Where is 19.5 mph written anywhere ? ? ?
Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 PM

http://election.dos.state.fl.us/pdf/.../ch_99-163.pdf

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 12-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Sage

You boys are splitting hairs - 20 or 19.5 - Does it really matter?

The point that was made is that it is illegal for Golf Carts to be made that CAN exceed 20MPH (or 19.5 max if you prefer). Most of this thread has dealt with someone's right to drive over that if they want and the point is that Golf Carts are not supposed to be able to do that by law. LSV's can go between 20 and 25 according to the law linked above.

I guess it is possible legally to soup up a golf cart and call it an electric LSV thereby allowing it to go between 20 and 25 but then it is not a golf cart according to the law.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Veteran member

Florida law defines a "golf-cart" as a vehicle that is manufactured with specifications such that it not be capable of exceeding 20 mph? If it does, it is considered a low-speed vehicle (LSV) and must be registered and insured. The limit for an LSV is 25 mph. If someone buys a golf cart from a dealer....and if it is capable of exceeding 20 mph.....can the dealer be held liable if the driver is cited or is involved in an accident? Interesting question huh?

My point is this: it is the responsibility of the driver to use a vehicle safely regardless of its capability. I'm confident that a little research may reveal that most golf cart accidents around here are not speed related. Carelessness and driver skill might play much larger role in my opinion and that applies to automobiles as well.

Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 12-17-2007, 03:24 AM

Chacam The 19 and 19.5 is the speed the dealers set the carts to. It is just under the legal limit which as the law states is 20 mph. I am sure it is to relieve them of liability and to help prevent them from being sued.

When I was looking for a cart I noticed that Villages Golf cars had a tag on their cars with the max speed written on it by a tech. Most were 19,5mph. I also encountered dealers that would show me how to turn up the speed, but would not do it for me as they did not want to be liable.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:31 AM

Thats it I heard enough you guys win I am now going to change out my motor since it goes at 23 MPH and not 19 or 20.

I AM GOING TO PUT IN A MOTOR TO GO 30+, AND WAVE AT YOU ALL AS I GO BY.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.