A Golfer Who Lost His Mind

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
Hello-

While walking my dog along Lake Sumter Landing this past weekend, I saw a site sitting in the rear of a parked and "unattended" golf cart that I thought I'd never see again. I saw a complete set ( irons, woods, wedge, putters, drivers ) of an authentic 2021 Bentley Golf Complete Set and the bag also appeared to be an authentic Bentley. For those who don't play golf, this golf set retails for about 9K and the owner was nowhere in site and the kart was parked in the rear, away from pedestrian traffic. As far as I could tell, the set appeared authentic and not a cheap China copy. Additionally, the key was left in the ignition of the cart.

Just wondering why that some people when they move to The Villages, just completely forget about common sense and truly believe they live in a bubble and that dishonesty and crime don't occur inside the bubble. Or maybe I'm just very naïve and didn't realize that some people are super wealthy and just don't care. Either way, that golfer lost his mind.
When I first moved to TV about 12 years ago, you could leave your clubs on your cart, the keys in it and go anywhere you wanted and did not have to worry. Now I have to chain my clubs to my cart an if I leave it for more than a minute I always take my keys. I even lock my storage compartments. Also, just like like when we were kids, we could even leave our doors open at home and never had a problem. About six or seven years ago this started to change. I believe thieves began to see TV as a ripe environment of old people and an easy target. Just like every where else, when population grows, and in this case unchecked, so do crime statistics. When I first came to TV I believe it was “Florida’s Friendliest Home Town” not any more.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyStevens View Post
This is probably off topic.

I tried golf when I first came to TV, it wasn’t for me. The question I have is can a $1200 putter really improve someone’s putting? I play piano and will a $25,000 Steinway make me play the piano better ? NO Way it’s the pianist not the instrument. So I’m guessing it’s the golfer not the club that makes the golfer better at putting.
I follow an incredible land scape and wildlife artist on YouTube. When asked hot much he spends on brushes he said he uses the cheapest brushes he can find. His comment was the brushes are only as good as the artist using them.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Hello-

While walking my dog along Lake Sumter Landing this past weekend, I saw a site sitting in the rear of a parked and "unattended" golf cart that I thought I'd never see again. I saw a complete set ( irons, woods, wedge, putters, drivers ) of an authentic 2021 Bentley Golf Complete Set and the bag also appeared to be an authentic Bentley. For those who don't play golf, this golf set retails for about 9K and the owner was nowhere in site and the kart was parked in the rear, away from pedestrian traffic. As far as I could tell, the set appeared authentic and not a cheap China copy. Additionally, the key was left in the ignition of the cart.

Just wondering why that some people when they move to The Villages, just completely forget about common sense and truly believe they live in a bubble and that dishonesty and crime don't occur inside the bubble. Or maybe I'm just very naïve and didn't realize that some people are super wealthy and just don't care. Either way, that golfer lost his mind.
Really, I wonder if 9K golf clubs make him a better golfer, or is this someone who likes to impress.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:01 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,077 Times in 433 Posts

Does a Rolex keep time better than a Citizen? Will a Bentley get you to Publix any better than a Ford? Does that Louis Vitton purse really cradle your goods better than a bag from Bealls? Obviously, no. But...how a person chooses to spend their money is their business, and does not affect me in the least. Who am I to judge? If the purchase of luxury goods makes someone happy, I say go for it. However, I will take steps to at least discourage the casual/opportunistic thief. If someone really wants your clubs/car/purse, etc., they are going to get it.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:11 AM
Default Play it Again

The old joke is to wait until Tuesday to check Play It Again Sports to see if your "lost" wedge (which you left lying just off the last green) is for sale. The store needs the time on Monday to record it in its inventory and attach a price sticker.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:12 AM

It’s the “puttee” not the “putter” that makes a better golfer.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:17 AM
Veteran member
Default Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown132 View Post
When I first moved to TV about 12 years ago, you could leave your clubs on your cart, the keys in it and go anywhere you wanted and did not have to worry. Now I have to chain my clubs to my cart an if I leave it for more than a minute I always take my keys. I even lock my storage compartments. Also, just like like when we were kids, we could even leave our doors open at home and never had a problem. About six or seven years ago this started to change. I believe thieves began to see TV as a ripe environment of old people and an easy target. Just like every where else, when population grows, and in this case unchecked, so do crime statistics. When I first came to TV I believe it was “Florida’s Friendliest Home Town” not any more.
Being as open and accessible as the no security Villages are is an open invitation to the less than honest people that are everywhere. Add hard times and people out of work from Covid and even some who are more or less honest people will get desperate and resort to dishonesty, so beware and be safe and protect yourself and your belongings. The first line of defense is always in your hands.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
No need to guess. It is absolutely true that expensive equipment will not create a good golfer.
"It is absolutely true that expensive equipment will not create a good golfer."

But, but, but, take away the 'hope' that we can't buy a better game and just watch how many give up this stupid and frustrating game forever. LOL
Old 03-23-2021, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,521 Times in 1,916 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Hello-

I wonder where this cart was parked. I wonder if there was really a key in the ignition or that was added to make the story more compelling. I wonder if the clubs were locked in. I wonder why some people are less worried than others about things like this. Some people move here from areas that are more dangerous and have more crime and some people move here from safer suburban areas. That said, I think there are more people who steal now than there used to be, but I believe that most of the people who LIVE in The Villages would not steal those clubs or that cart.

I also know that The Villages has less crime by far than most areas in the U.S.

I still would not leave my clubs in a public place unattended. But they are far safer here than in most other places in this State or in this Country.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

Does cabling the bag really protect the clubs?
Old 03-23-2021, 07:41 AM

My clubs are all beat up. No one ever tries to steal them
Old 03-23-2021, 07:42 AM

Looks great...are the clubs locked also?
Old 03-23-2021, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,521 Times in 1,916 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

SUMTER is a county located in FL, and has a population of 0.00. This region is policed by SUMTER COUNTY. SUMTER County has an overall crime rate of 1,173 per 100,000 residents. This is one of the safest regions in the United States.
SUMTER County , FL | Crime Statistics | Neighborhoods | Gangs

Crime in Florida - Sumter County - FDLE
Sumter
Summary of UCR Data; County: 2018: 2019 % Change: Population: 124,935: 128,633: 3.0: Total Arrests: 4,362: 3,243-25.7: Total Index Offenses: 1,378: 1,388: 0.7: Violent Rate: 181.7: 193.6: 6.5: Property Rate: 921.3: 885.5-3.9: Index Rate: 1,103.0: 1,079.0-2.2

[PDF]CRIME IN FLORIDA ABSTRACT Sumter County January - …
http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FSAC/UCR.../Sumter19.aspx
Violent Crime Rate 181.7 Property Crime Rate 921.3 Total Violent Crime 227 Total Property Crime 1,151 Crime Volume and Rate Arrest Totals MEASURE 2018 2019 Percent Change ARREST TYPE 2018 2019 Percent Change CRIME IN FLORIDA ABSTRACT Sumter County Florida Department of Law Enforcement January - December 2019 The statistics presented in this release are an indication of crime and criminal

SUMTER County , FL | Crime Statistics | Neighborhoods | Gangs
, | Crime Statistics | Neighborhoods | Gangs...
SUMTER County has an overall crime rate of 1,173 per 100,000 residents. This is one of the safest regions in the United States. This means that your chances of becoming a victim of any type of crime in SUMTER County is 1 in 100,000.00 if you reside there for a year.

US Criminal Justice Data | Explore Interactive Statistics
USAFacts
AdHow many prisoners are there in the USA? How many violent crimes occur every year? Explore data visualized for crime, gun violence, prisons and more with USAFacts.

The number of police officers per capita has fallen 9% since a 2008 peak.

usafacts.org has been visited by 10K+ users in the past month

"registered Predators In My Area" | Check Your ZIP Code Now
404 FILE NOT FOUND | Kids Live Safe
AdSee A Map of Offenders Near You. Screen People by Name. Monitor Offender Activity with Email Alerts. Unlimited Reports. Up-to-Date Database.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
No need to guess. It is absolutely true that expensive equipment will not create a good golfer.
No it won’t, but it will help a good golfer play better.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

Maybe it was already stolen and that's where they stashed it? Or maybe the golfer is senile and forgot where he left it.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, set, cart, complete, bentley

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.