Guarded crossing gates

Old 07-18-2023, 07:24 AM

It is not the guard job to direct traffic. It also is not a gate problem if someone is in the next lane. Picture a toll road before ez pass ; many lanes of traffic, each with their own gate all merging onto one large entrance ramp with each car performing merging maneuvers This is basically what we have with any gate inTV, the same thing only on a small scale. We need to perform merging maneuvers. When you are pulling up to any gate you should be able to see if there is another car in the other lane, is there? Then you gotta figure that they’re going to drive thru at some point. Don’t collide with them.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:45 AM

I read about traffic gates in one districtgov document (don't remember which). It stated the Visitor lane has the right of way and Resident lane must yield.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Use the visitor gate.
Not all entrances are the same, but we have found using the visitors lane into our area is the best choice. The button/pad is farther back so you have a clear view of anyone in the resident’s lane. Both gates work the same - use card or push the button - so we have learned to choose the lane with the best visibility.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill Meister View Post
Am I the only one who has experienced approaching the resident gate, stopping, having the crossing arm raise up and almost colliding with another vehicle going through on the visitors side and almost having a collision? As you know, most have fences separating resident entrances from visitor entrances and you are not aware of the vehicle until it's almost too late. And when your gate goes up you instinctively start driving forward.

I would image the first order of business for the crossing guard is to prevent any and all accidents. And the second order would be the orderly movement of vehicles through the gates.

Too many times this has happened to me and the last time was just this morning.

Be careful.....be very, very careful. And guards, wake up. Don't lift that other gate until the coast is clear.....very, very clear.
The gated areas with an attendant assisting visitors that I recall treat the activity as merging two lanes into one. The attached photo shows the gates and guard house. The _resident_ lane is merging into the visitor lane. It does not show the visitor lane merging into the resident lane. Is your area reversed?

Merging two lanes into one occurs in many places without gate attendants both inside and outside TV. Who is responsible in the cases without an attendant? Methinks the obligation is with the driver in the lane merging in — the resident lane in this case — and not anyone else. The introduction of a guard house does not shift the responsibility for merging from the resident lane driver to the attendant assisting visitors. It just doesn’t.

Florida Statutes put the responsibility on the driver who is attempting to merge into the destination lane (the visitor lane in this photo).

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	99319  

Old 07-18-2023, 07:54 AM

It's on the drivers of both vehicles to proceed with caution......

Old 07-18-2023, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Usually it is the driver going through the visitor gate that speeds up to try and beat the person in the residents lane. The guard should hold the person up until the resident gate arm starts to move.

My rule of thumb is that if the person exited from the circle before me then I let them go first if they are in a different lane even if I could get through my gate sooner.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:22 AM
Platinum member

Common sense doesn’t work around here. As with the roundabouts, it’s every man, and woman, for themselves.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjky2k View Post
Not all entrances are the same, but we have found using the visitors lane into our area is the best choice. The button/pad is farther back so you have a clear view of anyone in the resident’s lane.
That is a very good idea.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Guarded crossing gates??

As I was told many times in tv, there is no "guarded gates", only "gated gates".
What? That’s not the saying, it’s this is not a gated community, it’s a community with gates

Old 07-18-2023, 09:21 AM
Default Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
The gated areas with an attendant assisting visitors that I recall treat the activity as merging two lanes into one. The attached photo shows the gates and guard house. The _resident_ lane is merging into the visitor lane. It does not show the visitor lane merging into the resident lane. Is your area reversed?

Merging two lanes into one occurs in many places without gate attendants both inside and outside TV. Who is responsible in the cases without an attendant? Methinks the obligation is with the driver in the lane merging in — the resident lane in this case — and not anyone else. The introduction of a guard house does not shift the responsibility for merging from the resident lane driver to the attendant assisting visitors. It just doesn’t.

Florida Statutes put the responsibility on the driver who is attempting to merge into the destination lane (the visitor lane in this photo).

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine
Such ridiculously logical posts risk ending the discussions. 😀

Old 07-18-2023, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,212 Times in 1,950 Posts

///
Sorry. Duplicate post.

Last edited by coffeebean; 07-18-2023 at 04:15 PM.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,212 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
Never had that problem because i look before proceeding. Agree with the defensive driving comments.
Yup. That's what I do to. Look before you leap. What I do, however, is make sure I clear the gate before it can come crashing down on my car.

Old 07-18-2023, 12:45 PM

Main reason is that some lazy residents swan through the visitors gate as they don’t need to roll their window down. Gate keepers should allow residents line to empty before opening visitors gate that would solve the problem

Old 07-18-2023, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,771 Posts

Only once have I had a visitor almost run into me as we were both leaving the gates at the same time. Since then I check to see where the other car is before I proceed. No problem since.

Old 07-18-2023, 01:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,232 Times in 933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
Main reason is that some lazy residents swan through the visitors gate as they don’t need to roll their window down. Gate keepers should allow residents line to empty before opening visitors gate that would solve the problem
There a lot of gates in TV that have no gate keepers. The problem will be solved when drivers obey traffic laws, pay attention to their surroundings and practice defensive driving.

Tags
gate, crossing, careful, vehicle, order

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.