Historic Side Neighborhood revitalization Confirmed

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I guess my interpretation of this thread was way off. I thought people were concerned in a negative way.

Yes, replacing the rundown properties would be a good thing but not if it eliminates the eclectic atmosphere and turns the area into another invasion of the clones.
Patty, I agree with you about the clones but am guardedly optimistic about any (alleged) changes. Nobody can force residents to sell and I'd guess most of us are very happy right where we are.

My overall concern is the continued availability of affordable housing options in TV. Also, as others have said, I don't see how it makes good financial sense to spend $100K to buy a property and another $100K (guesstimate) to build a new home that would need to be sold for $250K. Don't buyers who want new homes also want to be in new neighborhoods? There's a lot of talk here about those being younger and more welcoming.

I just don't understand the economics of it. I also don't believe the Morse family would deliberately set out to lose money "revitalizing" the historic section out of sense of nostalgia.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Patty, I agree with you about the clones but am guardedly optimistic about any (alleged) changes. Nobody can force residents to sell and I'd guess most of us are very happy right where we are.

My overall concern is the continued availability of affordable housing options in TV. Also, as others have said, I don't see how it makes good financial sense to spend $100K to buy a property and another $100K (guesstimate) to build a new home that would need to be sold for $250K. Don't buyers who want new homes also want to be in new neighborhoods? There's a lot of talk here about those being younger and more welcoming.

I just don't understand the economics of it. I also don't believe the Morse family would deliberately set out to lose money "revitalizing" the historic section out of sense of nostalgia.
This is my opinion and my opinion only. I don't think there is ANY plan but to buy up some less expensive properties and to build on them. Resell them, do the magic they know how to do. Good builders, new landscaping, new everything.Keep all of their building teams employed and sell at a profit. As for affordable housing options? All of these issues are market driven. It is a privilege, rather than a right to live here. Something that not every person who wants to live here can afford to do. Just as retiring is not going to be a right if things keep up the way they are going. People will have to do what we did and plan for this time of their lives or they will have to continue to work.

Up until now there were options to buy here ranging from about 60k to over a million. Now the entry level is more expensive. That is just what happens and it is happening everywhere. It is adding value to the homes of the people who had the foresight to buy here.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post

Yes, Halibut, many posting here do indicate a desire to be in the recently developed villages. My guess is that there is more comaraderie among newbies all in the same boat of establishing themselves as opposed to venturing into an area that already has accomplished those hurdles.

Perhaps they fear the task of becoming integrated or they feel the established residents will see them as interlopers. I offer that explanation as those were feelings my sister expressed when she recently took ownership of her home in a S.C. reitrement community.

Fact is, our historic side is rapidly becoming more like 'the legacy side'. Longer term residents are passing away, moving back to be near children who will care for them, or moving to assisted living facilities. Their homes are being transferred to their children/relatives who are younger in age and/or are being purchased for the reasons posted in this thread by recent new arrivals.

The historic/legacy side has but one future other villages do not necessarily have - our residents will be getting younger rather than older.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Yes, Halibut, many posting here do indicate a desire to be in the recently developed villages. My guess is that there is more comaraderie among newbies all in the same boat of establishing themselves as opposed to venturing into an area that already has accomplished those hurdles.

Perhaps they fear the task of becoming integrated or they feel the established residents will see them as interlopers. I offer that explanation as those were feelings my sister expressed when she recently took ownership of her home in a S.C. reitrement community.

Fact is, our historic side is rapidly becoming more like 'the legacy side'. Longer term residents are passing away, moving back to be near children who will care for them, or moving to assisted living facilities. Their homes are being transferred to their children/relatives who are younger in age and/or are being purchased for the reasons posted in this thread by recent new arrivals.

The historic/legacy side has but one future other villages do not necessarily have - our residents will be getting younger rather than older.
Excellent point!
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 AM

surely something to watch and keep an eye on.......the historic side has a lot of character and it is a shame that some of the homes have fallen into disrepair.....kudos to the developer to buy and renew in the area....it will help property values and that is a good thing for all the current residents.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM

We bought our home on the historic side in November an d are working to upgrade it ,We love this side and would not consider any other place even thought we could afford a newer home this is what fits our life now .The historical side has such character .As an owner on this side I wel
come updates but don't want to loses what we have here by putting in homes that are over sided and look out of place. Any up grades to the area will only enhance my homes value.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Winston, did you happen to notice the doublewide they are removing from the corner of Schwartz and Lauren Lane? They aren't razing the home. They are moving the home so it has obviously been sold. It will be interesting to see what replaces that nice manufactured home. I don't think it has anything to do with the properties Mr. Morse has bought. I just thought I'd throw it out there and ask if you'd noticed while you were driving around the hood.
That home will be destroyed and replaced with a home by Bay Manufactured Homes.

Bay Manufactured Homes of Tampa, FL
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:52 PM

You are all wrong , The developer is in the process buying between 30 and 70 homes on the east side. The homes are going to different locations in Florida. They are being replaced by stick build houses. Confirmed by Lady Lake building department and those who are removing them.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise adams View Post
Personally I loved the explanation by someone of "trailers" vs "manufactured" homes. While in MIchigan (23 years) I lived near a factory that built two piece homes, delivered them, set them up and wham bam you have a home. They were called "manufactured" homes. Near there was another plant that built "metal siding" homes called "trailers". Same thing, built, delivered, set up.
Most "trailers" or whatever we choose to call them seem to have vertically placed metal siding whereas manufactured homes had aluminum or vinyl siding placed horizontally. To me, the manufactured homes were very well built due in fact to being built/assembled inside rather than outside where quality is sometimes sacrificed due to -20 degree whether. My husband placed a lot of telephone wiring in site built homes and apartments and was often told to "hurry up so we can hide the defects in the studs/walls, etc.
Remember rock throwers, this is my opinion only and opinions can't be wrong
The siding has nothing to do with whether a home is a trailer, manufactured home, modular home or site built. There are a several older homes that have that vertical siding. Most, like mine have been resided with horizontal aluminum siding and some with vinyl. I see houses that are identical to mine except for the fact that they still have their original siding.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Doc - I do believe that back in the 60s the structures WERE trailers. I can recall riding to FL many times as a child and saw with my own eyes the homes that sat on wheels in many a trailer park community on the back roads where we drove thru the Carolina pines where workers collected sap n buckets from the trees and along RT 301 in FL. Those structures did have vertical siding as was described; and those who had more $$ than others chose to skirt their homes rather than leave the undercarriage exposed as some did.

Your opinions are always appreciated, but not when they attempt to distort or contradict what others have actually experienced. Up until 10/15 years ago we could still find trailer parks out in the woodlands of PA! They were placed there for tourists and have now pretty much been replaced by the big bucks rolling motor homes of subsequent generations of tourists!
There is no doubt that many poor people, especially in the south lived in trailers. We have all seen them with kids playing out front and a clothesline attached. Those are indeed trailers and they are very different from a manufactured home. I think this is why some people feel a bit insulted when you refer to their home as a trailer.
A trailer is a camper. Some people chose, or were forced to live in them. You can still buy them and see them everywhere around here. They are a completely different animal than a manufactured home.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Sage
The Villages on-line news is currently reporting that 30 manufactured homes will be replaced with site-built homes which will sell "at a much higher price". Read all about it on their website, complete with photos.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
The Villages on-line news is currently reporting that 30 manufactured homes will be replaced with site-built homes which will sell "at a much higher price". Read all about it on their website, complete with photos.
Thanx for that up-date!

Old 07-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Wow!! I am shocked. That home that they show on the ************** at 530 Tarrson was just bought and rehabbed. when it was sold for $39,000 I though that it would be torn down and replaced. Instead a guy moved in and began working on it. He evidently put a lot of money into it because about six months later he flipped it for $86,000.

I'm not sure that one is being replaced. I rode by it today and it looked like they were adding some shrubs. But, I could be wrong.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:25 AM
Sage

If someone owns a manufactured home in the middle of stickbuilt homes, will the value of the manufactured home go up? Or vice versa. If someone owns a stick built home in the middle of manufactured homes, what does it do to the value of the stick built home?
Old 07-11-2014, 05:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
If someone owns a manufactured home in the middle of stickbuilt homes, will the value of the manufactured home go up? Or vice versa. If someone owns a stick built home in the middle of manufactured homes, what does it do to the value of the stick built home?

A rising tide lifts all boats.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.