How to Navigate Roundabouts

How to Navigate Roundabouts

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Sage

Last edited by John_W; 04-15-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:41 AM

All new residents should be informed via a class held by the villages on how to navigate roundabouts.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
If you look at the roundabout brochure, it specifically states that you should “Never change lanes in a roundabout”. This means that if you are going 3/4 around, you should enter a gate in the visitors lane. The statement is written in red on the brochure. If you follow the lines that show a left hand turn, (3/4 around), you’ll see the line going into the visitors’ gate.
I will not enter my gate in the visitors lane. Then I have to get to the right very quickly to make the first right turn as I leave the gate. I'm a resident and I will always use resident gates. I will not wait for the visitors to ask questions and get directions. I will not wait as the visitor can not figure out what to do when they passed the non manned red button.

As I exit the RAB in the inside lane, I always look in my mirror to make sure my path is clear. Then I proceed to change lanes as I exit the RAB. I'm not actually in the RAB but just leaving it as I change lanes. Then I go through the resident entry.

I know I'm retired and I have all the time in the world to spend sitting at the gates. Sorry, just not going to do it.

Last edited by coffeebean; 05-22-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We go round-a-bout on this issue every year.

I still say, you cannot be in the left lane and get to either of the entrances without crossing over the right lane. I think the statement means not to change lanes while driving inside of the roundabout. Once you're in whatever lane you entered in, stay there till you exit. Obviously, you have to cross over the outside lane from the inside lane in order to exit the roundabout. Both visitor's and residents' gates are on the right.
Unless your car turns into a hover board and you go above the traffic.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
This is illogical. If it's a two-lane circle with arms coming and exiting off in all 4 directions, then the only way you can get from the inside lane to any of the arms is to cross into the outside lane.

That means - quite literally - changing lanes. Even if it's for just a split second, you are, by definition, changing lanes the moment you move from your inner lane onto one of the exit arms.

Going south to north on an inside lane. You're going just fine. But then someone who is coming in from the east, and heading west, on the OUTside lane..which he has the right to do - will be already in his own lane when you are trying to cross that lane onto the northern exit.

Regardless of "who has the right of way" this makes for awkward driving. In addition, it requires that the person on the inside lane - change lanes - in order to get out of the circle.

If you didn't change lanes you would just continue around the circle and never leave it. You're also crossing the outside lane while in the process of entering the circle, to get into the inside lane.
The Yield sign means yield TO BOTH LANES in the roundabout. So nobody should be entering from the side of you while you're already in the roundabout. That takes care of the problem of somebody entering (illegally, because you were there first) and going halfway around on the outside while you're trying to (legally) go three-fourths' of the way around on the inside. (Although people don't adhere to this yield protocol, so you still have to have eyes peeled all around your head.)

Do not enter the roundabout until whoever is already in it has passed your entry point.

What "they" (whoever "they" is) should do is change the Yield signs to read Yield to Both Lanes.

If I can get to 466, 466A, and/or 301 to get where I'm going, I can avoid most roundabouts. I've seen many a fender bender at the St. James/Buena Vista roundabout. I do acknowledge that 466 & 466A have their own set of problems. Oh well. Drive safely; be alert We need more Lerts.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:52 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I may be putting too fine a point on it, but if you are in the inside lane, there is no way you can enter either gate, resident or visitor, without driving over the outside lane.
Hover cars are in our future!
Old 05-22-2019, 11:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amb3rTastic View Post
ALWAYS check your blind spots!!!!
I have no blind spots in my car as I have my mirrors set to give me 100% visiblity with my mirrors. My car does have the blind spot feature but I do not use it. My mirrors tell me my coast is clear 100% of the time, 100% around my car. I've had my mirrors set for no blind spot for the past 15 years and they have never failed me. I can make a very quick lane change traveling 75 mph and be 100% confident that my coast is clear. My mirrors are my best friend in my car.

How to Properly Set Your Side Mirrors - YouTube
Old 05-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Sage

I honest and truly do not get why this is so hard. It's just a traffic light replacement. If in doubt look at the green signs before every circle to see how the traffic flow should go. They all have them. Yield always to traffic in the circle.

A roundabout is nothing but a traffic light replacement. Treat it that way. If turning right enter on the right. If turning left enter on the left. If going straight through use either lane. So simple.

If you were coming south on Morse and hit the light at 466. Would you stay in the right lane to make a left hand turn? That is what your doing if you go 3/4 the way around a circle in the right hand lane.

Would you enter the traffic light intersection on a red light? Would you enter if another car was in the intersection? That is what your doing if you don't yield to both lanes for cars already in the circle.

It's a traffic light replacement, treat it that way and everything works. And we will all be safe.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Sage

I assume you late posters to this thread (Feb '19) read the previous 132 posts, to be sure of your position………
Old 05-22-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
This SUV tried to run over one of our cyclist the other day. Going north on Buena Vista by the Savannah center round about, our group after stopping to let other cars clear, started north again. That is when this SUV came up from behind us in the left lane and crossed in front of our lane to turn right on El Camino Real just missing the lead rider by inches, and mean inches. Had he not turned his from wheel to the right just a little, he would have been hit. No telling what injuries might have occurred if the contact had happened. Fortunately, the last cyclist had a camera going and we were able to get the license number. We called the Sumter County police, and officer Wills, to report the incident. We were not looking to ticket the driver, but to let him/her know that crossing two lanes at a high rate of speed is jeopardizing the safety, and maybe the life of these cyclist. The officer refused to help even after giving him the license number. I wonder if the same officer would have shown any interest if this SUV had collided with the bicycle? I guess someone has to be injured before this officer would help with the situation. If you know this person, please notify them that what they did was totally wrong, and could have cost someone their life just to make the turn 5 seconds earlier. They never stopped, or even acknowledged any wrong doing. Even after giving the Sumter County officer the license number he refused to do anything telling me that Florida license plates has 6 numbers/letters not 5. I know that vanity plates in Florida can have less than 6. I am not sure why he chose not to pursue this problem, or at least make a call telling them they are now being watched and should be more considerate of cyclist. Here is a picture of the SUV. Please let me know if you know this person. License # SJE IT
Thanks for caring,
Attachment 58250
It is appalling that the local police won't do anything. I had an experience recently where a driver tried to sideswipe me, and engaged in dangerous behavior. It could have been a drunk, or a case of road rage. I contacted the Sumter police, and the same thing - they wouldn't do anything, even though I gave them the license plate number. Perhaps it would be worth going through the chain of command and contacting the higher ups, letting them know what happened. This driver clearly does not understand the rules of the road, and will cause a future accident.