How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 03-24-2024, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slainte View Post
I’m a newbie & my use of RABs is: enter when check that no vehicle is in either lane. Be in the left lane if exiting the 3rd or 4th (u-turn) exit. Be in the right lane for exit 1 & 2. WATCH OUT for other cars/bikes/walkers/ & cars cutting you off. Go around more than once if exit not correct or not safe & use exit 4 (do uturn) if I goofed up which lane & lots of traffic.
Am I doing it correctly ?
Basically yes, very safe practice. But right lane you HAVE to exit 1st or 2nd exit, you can’t go around. Left or Inside lane, the only exit you CAN’T use is the 1st. But you can go around as many times as you need to exit safely. This is nice if you mistakenly entered in the left lane but needed the 1st exit as you just go around until you come to it a second time. Also, you can not change lanes once you are in the RAB, not even when exiting. If you are in left lane you exit to left lane. Right lane exits to right lane.

Last edited by MSchad; 03-24-2024 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,106 Times in 4,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
Basically yes, very safe practice. But right lane you HAVE to exit 1st or 2nd exit, you can’t go around. Left or Inside lane, the only exit you CAN’T use is the 1st. But you can go around as many times as you need to exit safely. Also, you can not change lanes once you are in the RAB, not even when exiting. If you are in left lane you exit to left lane. Right lane exits to right lane.
Now, 242 posts on this thread, dozens of other threads about RBs and yet not a day goes by without observing somebody doing something really stupid in a RB. This includes:

***Going 3/4 around in the outer lane
***Exiting at the first exit from the inner lane
***Entering from the right lane, cutting into the inner lane, then back to right to go straight
***Going clockwise in the RB to the third exit "because it's shorter"
***Continuing straight right into a light pole
***Stopping dead in the RB to wave on cars to enter
***Backing up in the RB after missing the exit
***And my personal favorite---a pack of 30 cyclists blowing through the yield sign cutting off traffic as if they were one entity because it is "inconvenient" for them to yield

I've personally witnessed every one of those scenarios---any others?
Old 03-24-2024, 05:48 AM

if in doubt about your turn always enter the left nearside lane of the roundabout and go round until you find your correct direction then exit safely.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,106 Times in 4,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesimonsaid View Post
if in doubt about your turn always enter the left nearside lane of the roundabout and go round until you find your correct direction then exit safely.
And while you're exiting after your "hunt", be sure there isn't another vehicle to your right. Maybe it would be better to learn how to navigate the RB correctly in the first place
Old 03-24-2024, 05:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTV Team View Post
Here is a nice brochure for visitors and new residents of The Villages Florida on navigating the Roundabouts.

TOTV Team
Doesn’t matter if it’s a roundabout, circle or rotary (which is what we call them). All the signage and education in the universe will never trump an individuals lack of common sense and awareness. Can’t wait for TV to revive the storm troopers to restore law and order on our cart paths!
Old 03-24-2024, 06:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slainte View Post
I’m a newbie & my use of RABs is: enter when check that no vehicle is in either lane. Be in the left lane if exiting the 3rd or 4th (u-turn) exit. Be in the right lane for exit 1 & 2. WATCH OUT for other cars/bikes/walkers/ & cars cutting you off. Go around more than once if exit not correct or not safe & use exit 4 (do uturn) if I goofed up which lane & lots of traffic.
Am I doing it correctly ?
Your post reminds me of Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) in European Vacation......as he enters the roundabout in UK and cannot get out “ hey kids, there’s Big Ben...hey kids, there’s Big Ben....”
Old 03-24-2024, 06:13 AM
Default jacksonla

Quote:
Here is a nice brochure for visitors and new residents of The Villages Florida on navigating the Roundabouts.

TOTV Team
Thanks for sharing, this is easy to read and helpful.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:30 AM

Thank you, MSchad. I never had a problem with one-lane RABs, but 2 lane ones were intimidating, especially combined with very small street signs. They are efficient in moving the traffic.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,428 Posts

Starting all over again……
Will there be another 200+ posts?
Mostly just repeats of prior posts?
BTW the way, why was this thread raised from the dead pile?
Old 03-24-2024, 07:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Starting all over again……
Will there be another 200+ posts?
Mostly just repeats of prior posts?
Not sure, but they can now add mine....and yours to the scrap heap
Old 03-24-2024, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,536 Times in 2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Not sure, but they can now add mine....and yours to the scrap heap
I saw three posts by one poster that were removed shortly after they were added.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-24-2024, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I saw three posts by one poster that were removed shortly after they were added.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:

TOTV Team
When you enter a roundabout keep your head on a swivel! People always do crazy stuff in or near those things!
Old 03-24-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And while you're exiting after your "hunt", be sure there isn't another vehicle to your right. Maybe it would be better to learn how to navigate the RB correctly in the first place
The only lane to correctly go all the way round in a roundabout is the inside lane, and you can exit at any time same a normal. nothing should be to your right when exiting as vehicles should yield to you before entering. you seem to be confused with navigating and finding correct direction. maybe you should learn how to navigate a roundabout correctly.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
Basically yes, very safe practice. But right lane you HAVE to exit 1st or 2nd exit, you can’t go around. Left or Inside lane, the only exit you CAN’T use is the 1st. But you can go around as many times as you need to exit safely. This is nice if you mistakenly entered in the left lane but needed the 1st exit as you just go around until you come to it a second time. Also, you can not change lanes once you are in the RAB, not even when exiting. If you are in left lane you exit to left lane. Right lane exits to right lane.
Then explain why RAB's have dotted lines IN the RAB.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.