I Am 48, I Am An Early Retiree, I Live In The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Default I Am 48, I Am An Early Retiree, I Live In The Villages

I Am 48, I am a retired U.S. Army Combat Veteran, and I am a property owner in The Villages for the last 6 years; and I receive challenges daily when I visit my local Rec Center and Pool, but I always present my Villages ID and then receive inquiries in regards to my residential status. Regardless of my appearance, I am retired Villages homeowner. That said, I am tired of the constant queries. I bought here as a retiree due to the high resale value and the high neighborhood upkeep. My property has increasing value and I aim to maintain this; so, seriously, why the age bias?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative17 View Post
I Am 48, I am a retired U.S. Army Combat Veteran, and I am a property owner in The Villages for the last 6 years; and I receive challenges daily when I visit my local Rec Center and Pool, but I always present my Villages ID and then receive inquiries in regards to my residential status. Regardless of my appearance, I am retired Villages homeowner. That said, I am tired of the constant queries. I bought here as a retiree due to the high resale value and the high neighborhood upkeep. My property has increasing value and I aim to maintain this; so, seriously, why the age bias?
No one ever questions my wife and she is in her 40's. Maybe it's a matter of perception. Look on the bright side, someone thinks you're young looking.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

It might be different for a guy than for your wife, Doug B. Maybe guys are assumed to be retirement age? I don't know.

I would be interested to know the nature of the challenges the OP receives. Are they challenges from TV personnel or comments from other residents? Everyone at the pools are asked to present ID's sooner or later. I don't know about inside the rec centers. We have some younger late 30- to40-something people playing pickleball in our groups, and they are never questioned.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:05 PM

Thank you for the responses. I have always been accused of looking "young-ish" for my age, and believe me, I do see i as a compliment. But to be constantly asked to show proof of residence over and again, and to be ostracized due to age ("there is no way he can be a Villager, he is too young"), has nothing but tarnished the "Florida's Friendliest Hometown" image. I was born and raised in Florida, this is not how we treat our own! As well, my wife is a young-ish looking 50 (we do workout and mind our diets), and she does receive more rude looks and comments than I. She is, however, more tolerant than I.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 PM

Just turned 50 here wife is 39, we have the same thing happen all the time. I'm happy the Villages is diligent enough to check ID's, so it doesn't bother us. As for people saying we are to young to live here, we laugh about it on a continuous basis. We have fun with it, instead of being upset and by no way do we feel ostracized.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 PM

57Chevy, thank you for you kind words. We, as well, are thankful for their occasional diligence. And we have laughed it off as well. Understand, we are going nowhere, as we both grew up less than 3 hours drive from here. But we have received, many times, less than welcome receptions continuously in our home state (er, neighborhood/village) right here in The Villages. I wish I was more apt to laughing it off, but the reception is often the opposite of what you have received.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,667 Times in 1,779 Posts

The author of "Leisureville", Andrew Blechman, who was in his late thirties at the time, was questioned while he was swimming at a pool in The Villages. The "civilian" woman Villager who questioned him had even checked out the plates on his rental car which were local. She thought he was a local slipping in for a dip in "her" pool. According to what he wrote she and he were the only people at the pool at the time.

Trophy wives living in 55 and over retirement communities are not particularly welcomed, either, from what I read and from what a friend's trophy wife (who lives in another 55 and over community) tells me. She gets repeatedly questioned and carded at that community's pools and receives dirty looks and nasty comments from some of the women - around the community, not just at the pools.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I personally think this may be what it is...and it all may be something else.

Who moves to a community designed for the over 55 and is surprised and annoyed because they are treated as if they are younger than the majority of the inhabitants when they are? I can't decide if it Is complaining or bragging.

Freshmen have always had a bit of problems from the senior class.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:42 PM

manabouttown, I wouldn't exactly call Mrs. FloridaNative17 a trophy wife, but she is probably in better shape than most. I, however, take offense, on occasion, to the "non-Villager" comments she receives. We do appear to be "in-shape" regardless of our ages and Mrs. FloridaNative17 has kept a part-time job to off-set the occasional Tri-Care co-pays and such. We would just like to be appreciated as "Gen-X" retiree's who planned well for our future and not as some invaders of the "Greatest Generation/Silent Generation/Baby Boomer Generation" domiciles. We have the same right to be here as everyone else.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 PM

Gracie, thank you so much for your appreciative, but off-center comment. As a Retired Infantryman/Ranger (Panama/Desert Storm/Mogadishu), I believe I have every right to be a member of this community as anyone over 55 years of age.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Sage

I would just say..."thank you for your service!" There are "some" here in T.V. (hopefully the minority) who don't have the social graces to be polite. I would say...you don't have to show your I.D. to other residents to prove anything. I'd just turn away and ignore it with a smile...don't give them the power.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
I was 52 when we first bought here so I kind of know how you're feeling. I'm now 56 and still feel like I'm too young to be here.Most people we're friendly with have anywhere from 5 to 15 years on me so at times it's hard to relate .I guess when these folks look at us it may be difficult for them.JMO
Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
manabouttown, I wouldn't exactly call Mrs. FloridaNative17 a trophy wife, but she is probably in better shape than most. I, however, take offense, on occasion, to the "non-Villager" comments she receives. We do appear to be "in-shape" regardless of our ages and Mrs. FloridaNative17 has kept a part-time job to off-set the occasional Tri-Care co-pays and such. We would just like to be appreciated as "Gen-X" retiree's who planned well for our future and not as some invaders of the "Greatest Generation/Silent Generation/Baby Boomer Generation" domiciles. We have the same right to be here as everyone else.
Well you in shape specimens...tell us all who is picking on you and tell us how exactly you would like to be appreciated. I never thought when I entered a rec center about being appreciated. I am gorgeous, but I have learned to live with it.

People generally sit next to me at the rec centers and say;

Deal.
Great picture.
How many bingo cards
Roll the dice.
Can I share your music stand.
Would you pass the napkins.

They hardly ever comment on my age. No one really knows if you are a resident or a visitor on the squares and in the shops and restaurants. There are many contractors who are younger and worker bees who are younger and lots of folks visiting their families that are younger and people living with their family members to care for them who are younger. I am surprised at the problems you are having quite honestly. Many fifty somethings look forty something.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-12-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>Post was Shortened<<<<<<<<<<<<<,

......when I visit a Rec Center or Rec Center Pool, I always have to present my Villages ID and then receive inquiries in regards to my residential status..........
.................. That said, I am tired of the constant queries.
Lucky you..able to retire young...and look young.

Me on the other hand...
I look like someone taped my mouth to a bus exhaust and then dragged
me through a briar patch.

When entering a Rec Center my ID is always checked....and....
..... when that "cah-coo" sound emits from their electronic wand
.............I am welcomed with a smile.

I feel GOOD that the person in charge of admittance always checks.
That is what they are supposed to do. I would be rare if each person
entering was not checked-in.

The State Fire Marshall set a legal capacity for each room in a Rec Center.
When being admitted they ask which function you are attending and check
you into that room by pushing the appropriate button.

The asking of your residential STATUS is rare......Once you have been to a Rec center
and the same person is on duty, ID will still
be wanded but your "Status" will not be asked.
...each type of ID is color coded.
...your Status displayed on wand must match the card.
...why they "ask" your status ? = to elimimate "shared" or forged cards being used.
(..if your reply did not match the info on card they would simply admit you
and call the appropriate 5-0... and then charge you with forgery or trespass...
and/or..illegal use of an electronic ID )

At least that is the way it is supposed to work.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:20 PM

Thank you BoSoxFan and NotGolfer for your kind comments. I wish I received more of what y'all espouse. In other words, when my neighbors understand who I am and where I come from, I am treated well. Otherwise, I have to receive disdain and derision continuously. My wife's treatment is even worse. We don't want to call anyone/anyplace out, but when we owned in Country Club Hills we received better treatment. Older community, different mores, etc. Now that we have purchased in a "newer" community South of 466, we receive consistent and continuous abuse/neglect from our newer neighbors. Thank you for not seeing me as a deserving and diligent neighbor, regardless of age!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.