Interesting conversation today

Old 06-30-2023, 07:29 AM

Other than the loud parties, everything you complain about is done by Villagers.

Last edited by Bill1701; 06-30-2023 at 07:33 AM. Reason: mis-spelling

Old 06-30-2023, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,034 Times in 4,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Indeed.

What?
A number of possibilities. The state cannot restrict rentals, but local government can. We could do what Clearwater did----no rentals less than 30 days.

In the meantime, the easiest solution is for TV to deny visitor/rental passes unless you can prove you are renting for a month or more---this does not mean visiting grandkids staying in a house for free---just STR's from homes bought as an "investment" to the detriment of the rest of us.

The poster above questioned enforcement. The "developer" would have no idea who is renting short term, but certainly could monitor Airbnb and **** advertisements. And neighbors will have an idea of what is going on as well.

addendum: Looks like the acronym for vacation rent@ls by 0wner is just as forbidden as the not to be named news site.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
A number of possibilities. The state cannot restrict rentals, but local government can. We could do what Clearwater did----no rentals less than 30 days.

In the meantime, the easiest solution is for TV to deny visitor/rental passes unless you can prove you are renting for a month or more---this does not mean visiting grandkids staying in a house for free---just STR's from homes bought as an "investment" to the detriment of the rest of us.

The poster above questioned enforcement. The "developer" would have no idea who is renting short term, but certainly could monitor Airbnb and **** advertisements. And neighbors will have an idea of what is going on as well.

addendum: Looks like the acronym for vacation rent@ls by 0wner is just as forbidden as the not to be named news site.
I personally wouldn't mind seeing such things happen, but (knowing very little about law myself) wouldn't such moves open the powers-that-be to some kind of legal action? There are apparently a lot of people in TV and other places who bought homes in TV for just that purpose. Having the rug pulled out from under them when they made their initial investment in good faith would mean that a whole lot more than just feelings would be hurt.

I can see where drawing the line now and prohibiting FUTURE purchases being used for Airb&bs could be looked at, but trying to stuff this particular genie back in the bottle would seem to be a daunting task to say the very least.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
I personally wouldn't mind seeing such things happen, but (knowing very little about law myself) wouldn't such moves open the powers-that-be to some kind of legal action? There are apparently a lot of people in TV and other places who bought homes in TV for just that purpose. Having the rug pulled out from under them when they made their initial investment in good faith would mean that a whole lot more than just feelings would be hurt.

I can see where drawing the line now and prohibiting FUTURE purchases being used for Airb&bs could be looked at, but trying to stuff this particular genie back in the bottle would seem to be a daunting task to say the very least.
Maybe. And maybe there is an ace in the hole. Residential sections of TV are zoned for single family residential use. While renting probably does not constitute a "business" run out of a home, renting to 2 or more unrelated people may very well violate the zoning laws. This might not get rid of a family with children, but would keep the more destructive spring breakers/teenagers/party animals out.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:10 AM

It’s not out of control and we like having a mix of younger people around.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:13 AM

I currently live in a 55+ community in Arizona (will be moving to the Villages soon). Our community has rules that rentals have to be at least 30 days and at least one renter has to be 55 or older. It is an HOA community, but this policy seems to work really well.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazjaz View Post
So move somewhere with younger people, TV is NOT that place

Old 06-30-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I am currently up north in Massachusetts and went out to do some errands today. When I pulled into a parking lot a young women noticed I have Florida plates on my car and came over to strike up a conversation. I would put her in her late 20’s and she had a couple young kids with her. She said she loves Florida and wanted to know if I lived there, so I told her we have a second home in Florida. She asked where and I told her at a retirement community called the Villages. Her response was that her and her friends love that place and have been there several times and can’t wait to go back. She said they used to go to the beach towns but it has gotten too expensive, so they now rent AirBnB’s in the Villages so their kids can use all the beautiful pools and they can go to the town squares. She said it’s the cheapest way her and her friends can take their kids away on a family vacation in Florida and have access to so many fun things to do.

So much for the Villages being a 55+ retirement community with amenities reserved for its residents and guests. Something seriously needs to be done about this out of control AIRBnB thing! I’m not making this up!
Yep, ONE DAY someone will organize an effort to hold T V Deed Compliance responsible for ABnB short term rental BUSINESSES being run out of villa homes and houses. Rentals less than 6 months require Florida Business Licenses (unless owner is still in the home renting say one bedroom) therefore making ABnB a business when deed restrictions say no.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,141 Times in 567 Posts

This is out of control. Anything rented less than 30 days should be banned. ABNBs, Verbos etc. are all counter intuitive to retirement peace and tranquility vibes.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Old 06-30-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Indeed.

What?
Hmmmm, well if people struggling with the ABnB nextdoor to them who have had direct documentable hardship / damages as a result of the ABnB business being run from a deed restricted proprty join say a class action... just sayin the T V has a duty to honor their own deed restrictions...

Old 06-30-2023, 08:36 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazjaz View Post
Then what is the point of having over 55 retirement communities if they are no different than anyplace else? Our expectation was that we would be living in a quiet, protected environment with other retirees not a destination for spring break.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:39 AM
Gold member

I have been advocating for years that we need rental restrictions. You can all see how out of hand this has gotten for a 55+ community.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

Having lived here for almost six years I can tell you that there has been AB&B here for at least that long. I had a neighbor who had a revolving door during the times she wasn’t here. Fortunately there were no real issues. I doubt that the powers that be would discourage the practice as these people use the facilities and spend their money here. It also could lead to said renters deciding to purchase a home here in TV. Don’t misunderstand my meaning, I didn’t like having a virtual motel across the street.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Another delusional post devoid of a basis in reality. YES I begrudge "others" renting short term with children. This is a 55+ community, not a playground for children. If you enjoy " the joy younger people bring to life", move to a community that has that demographic. But DO NOT buy here and try to change TV into something YOU like. Again, we're not talking about grandkids visiting for a week or 2, we are talking about loud, obnoxious short term renters who couldn't care less about their neighbors or this community.
Well said!

Old 06-30-2023, 08:53 AM
Veteran member
Default abab rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Then what is the point of having over 55 retirement communities if they are no different than anyplace else? Our expectation was that we would be living in a quiet, protected environment with other retirees not a destination for spring break.
We are a city of 150,000 and have some of the same problems as all cities, remember Federal law says
80% 55 or over, what about the other 20%?

Tags
florida, kids, villages, today, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.