Inventory of preowned homes going up ?

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2022, 07:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,224 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
And my first hand experience was the exact opposite. Yes, we toured South of 44 (mainly to be able to see what some of the models looked like in real life), but when we decided we wanted to be between 44 and 466A, South of 44 was never mentioned again... (nor was North of 466A)...
Yes, and your are way East of Buena Vista.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Yes, and your are way East of Buena Vista.
We did a lifestyle visit in Feb. We had no intention of buying new and told our Villages agent that right from the first phone call. She still tried to get us to look in the new section. I finally had to be blunt with her and tell her, don't even take us to see a new home.
She reluctantly got what I was saying....finally. At that time she didn't have much inventory of existing homes to show us. Luckily we had a great MLS agent and found what we were looking for.

They very much do push new homes.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,360 Times in 619 Posts

According to Freddie Mac, the average rate on a 30-year fixed mortgage rose to 5.78% last week, the highest since November 2008. It was the largest one-week increase since 1987.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I don’t have the data to say that preowned homes sales in the Villages have come to a slow down. However, there are now a lot more homes listed for sale on the Villages internet sales site. Has anyone else noticed this? A few homes that I have been tracking have also reduced their listing price. This situation is quite a change for just three months ago.
Are most of the homes you see North? Realtor told us lots of people in the north sections are bailing for the newer homes in South. Homes in North are on the market longer while in the South they’re snapped up quickly.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Our Villages realtor pushed the new section which was Hadley and Hemingway. Wanted a larger home near LSL, and she found us one, so it ended well. And I've heard this many times from others. The sad thing is they steer potential buyers away from the seller which does the seller no good.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Having first hand experience can say not an urban legend. The only preowned houses our sales agent took us to North of 44 were ones we picked out.
If you have any sales person who only wants to show specific listings, you need to fire that person and get a new one. Good Villages' agents will show you anything to fit the needs you have expressed. The only thing they can not show you is MLS listings, which are much low in quantity in TV. The 'urban legend' is something perpetulated by non-Villages reality personnel as a method to substantuate their position to sell you something.....for they only can handle a small % of total listings.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:46 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

I hope anyone who was getting geared up to go back home anyway, especially if they owned a house where they came from, made the decision to get while the gettin’ was good.

Sellers have been sitting in the catbird seat for well over a year. This real estate market has had a bigger emotional component than I have ever seen. Yes, money was cheap, but unlike the last bubble, lending practices have been tightened. This one has been an emotional frenzy.

Something else is going on in this one like never before. Big companies are buying up a slew of houses throughout the country, for cash. They are not just flippers. They are tapping into the rental market. First time buyers have been left out because of that bottomless pit of big company money, doing buy-ups. Rent can be exorbitant, making it much harder to save for a downpayment.

In some places, suburbs are building apartments like crazy, often coupling them with some kind of “Lifestyle” pitch. It’s like younger people are supposed to just give up and live in a rental forever.

What a mess this weird-azz real estate market is, was, and will be.

Enough ranting from me.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 06-17-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,295 Times in 5,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I hope anyone who was getting geared up to go back home anyway, especially if they owned a house where they came from, made the decision to get while the gettin’ was good.

Sellers have been sitting in the catbird seat for well over a year. This real estate market has had a bigger emotional component than I have ever seen. Yes, money was cheap, but unlike the last bubble, lending practices have been tightened. This one has been an emotional frenzy.

Something else is going on in this one like never before. Big companies are buying up a slew of houses throughout the country, for cash. They are not just flippers. They are tapping into the rental market. First time buyers have been left out because of that bottomless pit of big company money, doing buy-ups. Rent can be exorbitant, making it much harder to save for a downpayment.

In some places, suburbs are building apartments like crazy, often coupling them with some kind of “Lifestyle” pitch. It’s like younger people are supposed to just give up and live in a rental forever.

What a mess this weird-azz real estate market is, was, and will be.

Enough ranting from me.

Boomer
These big companies sitting on a lot of cash will do well as long as many people have to or want to rent at ever increasing prices. If their return on capital falls down their cash position will dry up and they will not be in a position to keep buying homes for cash.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,362 Times in 4,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
We did a lifestyle visit in Feb. We had no intention of buying new and told our Villages agent that right from the first phone call. She still tried to get us to look in the new section. I finally had to be blunt with her and tell her, don't even take us to see a new home.
She reluctantly got what I was saying....finally. At that time she didn't have much inventory of existing homes to show us. Luckily we had a great MLS agent and found what we were looking for.

They very much do push new homes.
Your agent is not all agents...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-17-2022, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
Are most of the homes you see North? Realtor told us lots of people in the north sections are bailing for the newer homes in South. Homes in North are on the market longer while in the South they’re snapped up quickly.
Great way to push you into buying a new house. Did they give you any numbers to back this up?
Old 06-17-2022, 12:41 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,432 Times in 1,473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Wonder if/when the developer slows down building new homes?
They haven't slowed down building yet. It's amazing how fast they are going up and more villages are being started every month or so.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
They haven't slowed down building yet. It's amazing how fast they are going up and more villages are being started every month or so.
Very true but as interest rates go up people who can afford current prices with mortgage will get smaller and smaller.

Interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:14 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

Although The Villages is unique this is what is happening in most markets which could affect people selling their homes to move here.

Housing Crash Imminent: As Mortgage Rates Explode Price Cuts Soar And Buyer Demand Collapses | ZeroHedge

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-17-2022, 03:23 PM

The higher priced new builds are also sitting longer than in months past.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Been here since 2002, this is an urban legend.
So, just cause you been here don’t mean you know in and outs of housing market. Others have posted first hand experience.
Closed Thread

Tags
homes, villages, sales, preowned, noticed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.