Latest Development in the IRS Tax-Exempt-Bond Investigation

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
I agree - the POA is probably a good start. The VHA is generally useless.
Taj44, then how did the POA settled the amenities lawsuit without obtaining a waiver by every resident north of 466? and why would the Developer turn over $43,000,000? He settled with each individual named as a plaintiff to that suit and paid the attorney with a gold mine.

People pay an anuual fee to belong to this organization and it would seem tey have the legal ability to file a class action suit, in this case an intervention.
Good discussion for a POA meeting.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
OK.....I'll play.

You said, "To refer to someone who's posts delve into the "what ifs" if the IRS prevails, and calls the poster "sinister" and unbalanced seems pretty insulting to me."

We must have gone to two different schools together as our respective command and understanding of the King's English differs greatly. It is quite evident that my use of "sinister" was a modifier for the word "design." Further compounding your misrepresentation, is your apparent selective disregard of context. The reference itself was part of an either/or theoretical choice left to the imagination of the reader.

Your interpretation of "unbalanced" is equally misrepresented or misinterpreted by 'accident or design', as my use of the word clearly modified the word "suppositions" and referred specifically to the "balance" of emphasis on the negative as opposed to the positive. It is an impossible stretch to link the phrase to any person being unbalanced.

You said, "Is it possible we can discuss without the petty name calling?" What name calling are you referring to?

I welcome cerebral challenges but distortions of factual representations compromise and degrade whatever valid arguments you may have. It may surprise you to know I have even agreed with you on some points. I view those with opposing views as loyal opposition with the best interests of The Villages at the core of their beliefs. We just have vastly different perspectives on how to achieve those interests.

By the way.... I would love to hear your characterization of "morseiphiles" and its author given your disdain for name calling.

Hey, Rube...........be assured I am neither frustrated or angry. It's not in my nature. I will not deny I enjoy a good debate. While I often have a divergence of opinion with your views, you have made some good points and I enjoy most of our exchanges.

BTW....My repeated reference to you as Hey, Rube is related to the meaning of the phrase. As you probably know circus workers used it as a call for help in a fight or threat from outsiders. Given are history of interaction and the most recent sensitivity to "name calling", I didn't want to distress you.
Rubicon means once crossed irrevocably committed and is derived from Julius Cesar's crossing of the Rubico river in 49BC which was viewed as an act of war and thus irrevocably committed him So no offense taken
Old 08-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Thanks, but I decline the nomination. As I recall Wagon Train, the scout usually ended up on the receiving end of a whole bunch of arrows, and that has been happening to me here.
Yea, but good old Flint McCullough always survived to be on the show the following week.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
OK.....I'll play.

You said, "To refer to someone who's posts delve into the "what ifs" if the IRS prevails, and calls the poster "sinister" and unbalanced seems pretty insulting to me."

We must have gone to two different schools together as our respective command and understanding of the King's English differs greatly. It is quite evident that my use of "sinister" was a modifier for the word "design." Further compounding your misrepresentation, is your apparent selective disregard of context. The reference itself was part of an either/or theoretical choice left to the imagination of the reader.

Your interpretation of "unbalanced" is equally misrepresented or misinterpreted by 'accident or design', as my use of the word clearly modified the word "suppositions" and referred specifically to the "balance" of emphasis on the negative as opposed to the positive. It is an impossible stretch to link the phrase to any person being unbalanced.

You said, "Is it possible we can discuss without the petty name calling?" What name calling are you referring to?

[B]I welcome cerebral challenges but distortions of factual representations compromise and degrade whatever valid arguments you may have[/B]. It may surprise you to know I have even agreed with you on some points. I view those with opposing views as loyal opposition with the best interests of The Villages at the core of their beliefs. We just have vastly different perspectives on how to achieve those interests.

By the way.... I would love to hear your characterization of "morseiphiles" and its author given your disdain for name calling.

Hey, Rube...........be assured I am neither frustrated or angry. It's not in my nature. I will not deny I enjoy a good debate. While I often have a divergence of opinion with your views, you have made some good points and I enjoy most of our exchanges.

BTW....My repeated reference to you as Hey, Rube is related to the meaning of the phrase. As you probably know circus workers used it as a call for help in a fight or threat from outsiders. Given are history of interaction and the most recent sensitivity to "name calling", I didn't want to distress you.
Do not think you will see it.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
It would be nice if, instead of just telling me that I have a lousy attitude, you would educate me by telling me exactly where my analysis is wrong. The IRS investigation is indeed complicated. But I think that it behooves residents to try to understand basically what is going on and has gone on rather than to just pretend that the potential for some serious problems does not exist.

Incidentally, the "Engineer's Report" referred to in the Daily Sun article that provoked my first post in this thread still has not appeared in the districtgov.org website. Let's hope it does soon since it will probably throw some much-needed light on the latest developments in this saga.
In regards to post #85, I was referring to "Shadows" postings on the former POA site, didn't know that you also posted there. Did you also use the name "shadow"? Now I am curious.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagegolfer View Post
Do not think you will see it.
It depends on where we look for it.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Gold member
Default Great Advise Appreciated

As my wife and I were following the Lewis and Clark trail on one of our 4 7k mile Harley trips. I sure did think of those covered wagons. As we crested Peaks in snow spitting temperatures down horrific descents to the warmth below or should I say desert,

Yea I thought I was pretty cool or crazy for taking two wheels from Syracuse to Astoria Oregon and back.

Made me humble, I felt respect for those that went before us years ago! Covered Wagons uhh daaa had no ABS Stability Control AC Heater lumbar support seats or four wheel Disc Power Brakes!

Of course in another perspective here we are just a posting away and they never did get a chance to decide retirement, most were all dead! As my Dr's look me over for my complaints I have already lived longer than most settlers who were dead from something by age 15-30! Their idea of a village was sure different that ours today.

So This February we will be down to start the bleeding, I mean building process.

And yes I am disappointed that Sales has no problem with a take it or leave it on you home, lot , Bonds Taxes Fees on and on and on! But not a peep on a IRS investigations. Not even a " Don't worry you will be just fine about it atta boy!

So I leave all you all tonight with a statement that was given to me by a now happily retired mentor teacher of mine.

Some of you may have read or heard this. I find it fitting after deciding what to do about moving to a place that we have found very comfortable. Doesn't mean this IRS thing does not make me question the future?

Ignorance can be fixed with Education
However Stupidity takes GREAT SALESMANSHIP!

Good night and thanks for your “Village" education and support.

Herv
Old 08-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hforward View Post
As my wife and I were following the Lewis and Clark trail on one of our 4 7k mile Harley trips. I sure did think of those covered wagons. As we crested Peaks in snow spitting temperatures down horrific descents to the warmth below or should I say desert,

Yea I thought I was pretty cool or crazy for taking two wheels from Syracuse to Astoria Oregon and back.

Made me humble, I felt respect for those that went before us years ago! Covered Wagons uhh daaa had no ABS Stability Control AC Heater lumbar support seats or four wheel Disc Power Brakes!

Of course in another perspective here we are just a posting away and they never did get a chance to decide retirement, most were all dead! As my Dr's look me over for my complaints I have already lived longer than most settlers who were dead from something by age 15-30! Their idea of a village was sure different that ours today.

So This February we will be down to start the bleeding, I mean building process.

And yes I am disappointed that Sales has no problem with a take it or leave it on you home, lot , Bonds Taxes Fees on and on and on! But not a peep on a IRS investigations. Not even a " Don't worry you will be just fine about it atta boy!

So I leave all you all tonight with a statement that was given to me by a now happily retired mentor teacher of mine.

Some of you may have read or heard this. I find it fitting after deciding what to do about moving to a place that we have found very comfortable. Doesn't mean this IRS thing does not make me question the future?

Ignorance can be fixed with Education
However Stupidity takes GREAT SALESMANSHIP!

Good night and thanks for your “Village" education and support.

Herv
Throughout the villages the "water features" on the planning maps say
"May or may not hold water".

Just because it isn't pointed out, or brought up about the IRS issue, doesn't mean that the developer and the agents representing the developer are unethical.

The IRS drama may or may not hold water.

Enjoy every day in The Villages.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Throughout the villages the "water features" on the planning maps say
"May or may not hold water".

Just because it isn't pointed out, or brought up about the IRS issue, doesn't mean that the developer and the agents representing the developer are unethical.

The IRS drama may or may not hold water.

Enjoy every day in The Villages.
Gracie: I agree with you completely but I still ask my question.
If they notify you that the water features "may or may not hold water", why not notify you of the IRS issue? Villagers and wannabees have a right to know the facts, so they can make informed decisions.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
If they notify you that the water features "may or may not hold water", why not notify you of the IRS issue? Villagers and wannabees have a right to know the facts, so they can make informed decisions.
Well this proves one thing, you type faster than I do in the early morning.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Veteran member
Default Or

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Well this proves one thing, you type faster than I do in the early morning.
or your dog walks slower than mine.
JJ
Old 08-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
They only inform you of the water feature if your land is on the water feature. Since the IRS issue is just a ? at this point there is no obligation since they can't really tell you anything.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Gold member

Although I am very concerned about the IRS issue as it could keep me from buying when I plan to next year, I agree with Russ and don't see where the developer has an obligation to disclose anything - yet. As I understand it, the IRS sent three "Notices of Proposed Issues" in January 2009 challenging the tax-exempt status of the bonds. While there has been some exchange of information between the IRS and the issuer of the bonds, to my knowledge there hasn't been any formal accusations; only an offer by the IRS to settle, which the CDD rejected. If the IRS takes the issue to tax court (or to whatever formal venue the next step would would be), then there probably should be some disclosures made to prospective buyers. But not yet.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Administrator

This thread has generated much interest and discussion which is great! I have friends and family that follow this closely that live in The Villages. I'd like to encourage participants to keep discussions focused on the topic vs. member comments as we all want to show respect for everyone on the site and their feedback even if we have a different perspective.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:22 PM

Advogado, Taj44, Rubicon, Shadow, Leafpoker, and Kentucky Blue, thank you for sharing your thoughtful insightful and intelligent posts. I hope that you all will continue to keep those of us who do not live in TV abreast of the current events surrounding this matter. The IRS investigation is a serious issue and I will not even consider buying a home in TV until this issue has been resolved. For anyone unfamiliar with the IRS investigation please read Lauren Ritchie’s columns at the Orlando Sentinel (online). She has done a superb job of covering this story.

Annabelle,
PS Leafpoker, who the heck is Troy?!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.