Leave the refrigarator on/off

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Default Shut refigerator off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby9red View Post
Just trying to get a feel for what you snowbirds do about your refrigarator durning the summer months when you go north. I left mine on this past summer because we didn't want to waste the food, etc in it.
We left ours on last summer and when we came down this winter we found the food spoiled because the compressor broke, apparently due to a power surge.
So we bought a new refrigarator and trying to deciede if we want to leave it plugged in or not. What do others do?
I was a snow bird for over 10 years in another part of Florida. If you plan to stay away for 5 months or longer, unplug the refrigerator and leave the doors open by placing something like a towel in the inside of the doors so they can't close. You don't have to think about it while your gone and you will save a little money too. Also most foods will be a little too old.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,412 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donvito View Post
I was a snow bird for over 10 years in another part of Florida. If you plan to stay away for 5 months or longer, unplug the refrigerator and leave the doors open by placing something like a towel in the inside of the doors so they can't close. You don't have to think about it while your gone and you will save a little money too. Also most foods will be a little too old.
This is what I do as well, but the consensus of opinion from another thread on this topic is to keep it running. However, even with a home watch I would just worry about it all the time. And they aren't cheap to replace.

We're either 8 months here & 4 up north or 7 & 5. Just long enough that I feel better unplugging it. You will have many people tell you that experts told them to leave it running. But I had an expert tell me to unplug it! So I think there's no proof of either--just opinions.

Up north (MI) we have many summer cottages that are shut completely down for the winter, and they always have their water heaters & pipes drained and their refrigerators shut off, because the electricity is shut off as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby9red View Post
Just trying to get a feel for what you snowbirds do about your refrigarator durning the summer months when you go north. I left mine on this past summer because we didn't want to waste the food, etc in it.
We left ours on last summer and when we came down this winter we found the food spoiled because the compressor broke, apparently due to a power surge.
So we bought a new refrigarator and trying to deciede if we want to leave it plugged in or not. What do others do?
Empty and off
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Sage

We are gone for close to 4 months so we leave it on and save buying new mayo, mustard, ketchup, etc. (probably break about even)

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.