Legal Help for roof insurance claim rejection

Unread 03-12-2024, 11:38 AM
Default Legal Help for roof insurance claim rejection

I am currently insured with Farmers, which to my understanding is leaving the Florida area. I had 3 different roofing companies inspect my roof and they all indicated my roof needed replaced because of lifted shingles, creased shingles, loss of "grit" and end tabs broken .

The adjuster from Farmers inspected the roof and indicated that with the exception of a few shingles being creased (20) the roof was in good shape.

I have absolutly no leverage since Farmers is leaving FL and my policy expires in August 2024.

I'm asking for advice, legal help, to appeal the claim rejection with Farmers.
Unread 03-12-2024, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I would suggest that you get an independent home inspector, like Frank D'Angelo, to inspect the roof and give you a professional, independent opinion before seeking legal assistance.
Unread 03-12-2024, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,379 Times in 2,520 Posts

///
Unread 03-12-2024, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Sounds like normal wear, so why should you get a free roof?
Unread 03-12-2024, 12:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by len84pa View Post
I am currently insured with Farmers, which to my understanding is leaving the Florida area. I had 3 different roofing companies inspect my roof and they all indicated my roof needed replaced because of lifted shingles, creased shingles, loss of "grit" and end tabs broken .

The adjuster from Farmers inspected the roof and indicated that with the exception of a few shingles being creased (20) the roof was in good shape.

I have absolutly no leverage since Farmers is leaving FL and my policy expires in August 2024.

How old is your roof?
Unread 03-12-2024, 12:40 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

I agree that your roof is just worn out, not damaged by any of the perils that would be covered by your policy. You might as well get one or all of those that inspected your roof to give you a quote to replace it rather than to waste money on a attorney.
Unread 03-12-2024, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Agree with the above comments, your home insurance does NOT cover normal wear and tear on a roof, so you are out of luck. This is where the whole insurance scam started, homeowners were tricked into signing 'assignment of benefits' forms, and then the "roofing companies" sued the insurance companies to get a new roof. You can start looking for a new insurer and see if they agree with roof being in good shape (with minor repairs), then go with them and pay for the repairs. If none of the insurance companies will cover you, then you will need to replace the roof at your cost.
Unread 03-12-2024, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:

Welcome to our world, Like hundreds of use that had to pay for new roof when nothing wrong with old one due to all the insurance scams. They know who they are.. I had farmers before in other states I sure it you read fine print somewhere it be pro rated and they will pay practically nothing on old roof anyway. Especially it you got new policy within couple years?

Some that got new roofs are starting to leak with only 3 or 4 years old. They probably tore off better roof than was installed when they gave roofing company control of their insurance claim?

Good luck with your roofing feasco, probably not enough money in for lawyers, you can thanks the scammers in Florida for that.
Unread 03-12-2024, 02:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Hmmm. August is not that far away but it is in the middle of hurricane season....so you’re covered. Have you started reaching out to prospective carrier replacements? Maybe casually ask those same questions you posed here for direction
Unread 03-12-2024, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Welcome to our world, Like hundreds of use that had to pay for new roof when nothing wrong with old one due to all the insurance scams. They know who they are.. I had farmers before in other states I sure it you read fine print somewhere it be pro rated and they will pay practically nothing on old roof anyway. Especially it you got new policy within couple years?

Some that got new roofs are starting to leak with only 3 or 4 years old. They probably tore off better roof than was installed when they gave roofing company control of their insurance claim?

Good luck with your roofing feasco, probably not enough money in for lawyers, you can thanks the scammers in Florida for that.
Part if the blame falls on then folks up in Tallahassee for not stopping the scammers……..
Unread 03-12-2024, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I agree that your roof is just worn out, not damaged by any of the perils that would be covered by your policy. You might as well get one or all of those that inspected your roof to give you a quote to replace it rather than to waste money on a attorney.
Very true. Not too many attorneys are gonna pass on relieving you of cash that you could put towards mitigating your roofing issues. Get the quotes
Unread 03-12-2024, 03:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Very true. Not too many attorneys are gonna pass on relieving you of cash that you could put towards mitigating your roofing issues. Get the quotes
Like many others said, it appears that you are making a claim that you believe that your insurance should pay for and the roof was not damaged by something that insurance will cover(probably long term wear)

There has not been anything recently which would have caused damages that an insurance company would pay for(like a large windstorm or big hail) unless something fell and hit your roof. To answer your question an un scrupulous lawyer or public adjuster might take your claim and charge you a % of any recovery. If you do so, you might have to be deposed(aka statement under oath) if you submit a claim like this. Full disclosure I was in the insurance adjusting biz
Unread 03-12-2024, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,180 Times in 835 Posts

While shopping for new insurance, be sure to tell the prospective new carrier that you believe your roof is defective and have been told by three roofing companies it needs to be replaced.. if you really believe it.
Unread 03-12-2024, 05:55 PM

Quote:
For my recent roof replace on my Midwest home the roofing company matched actual roof storm damage with recent reported storm events that the insurance is also aware of, etc. If no recent reported storms (there is a reporting time window) then no claim. It sounds like that did not happen and the companies that inspected your roof found normal wear and tear. This should be explained on one of your three estimates they gave you?
Unread 03-12-2024, 06:41 PM

Quote:

If your roof is under 10 years old, it could be a manufacturers issue. In that case, your roof is still under warranty. Insurance won’t cover it, but the manufacturer will on a prorated basis. You will have to pay part of it and the manufacturer will pay the other. Have a couple of reputable roofing companies give you estimates for total cost. Submit the findings to the manufacturer.

Tags
roof, farmers, shingles, creased, leaving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.