Lifelong Learning Center

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2016, 05:48 PM
Default LLC Closing - Alternative Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Speech-to-text is often garbled on television, too. Maybe the jerks can sue the networks, too.
I thought it was interesting that the hearing impaired person knew the speech-to-text software made mistakes because, get this, they were lip reading and knew from that what the speaker was saying. Yes, everyone has a right to be accommodated, but there's a rat in this mess somewhere.

I wonder why the LLC can't transition to a club model. Use a third party software platform like Uber to match providers with customers. Maybe one of TV former attorneys could think about that kind of a model.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Read Loud Music on Bacall golf course

Then look at where Mr. & Mrs. Schwarz live.

Sumter County Property Appraiser - Joey Hooten - Bushnell, Florida - 352-569-6800 do a property search.

under name enter - Schwarz.

Looks like the 8th. hole on Bacall to me. I might be wrong.

Took awhile to find, but I remembered it from 7 years ago. 12/2009
CWGuy, your post helped me remember a thread a few years ago and a member called DeafDeaf who was highly indignant about the lack of support for deaf people within the community. I found the thread, read this one too.

Recreation Dept seeks National Accreditatio

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't Mr. Schwarz.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-02-2016, 06:22 PM

Not the first time for Mr in this arena. Look at the legal doc Mr vs Treasure Island City. What a surprise about the representation of this sad,sad legal ..............
Old 12-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,181 Posts

I just saw this thread, and then read the DS, and I'm just about speechless. I probably have more questions than answers but I think we do not have the whole story.

My main question----did the LLC offer to provide ASL interpreters or was that the cost prohibitive issue? To my understanding, the ADA does require ASL interpreters if requested, and not at the expense of the hearing impaired, regardless of cost factor. If they did not, then this "dirty thirty" has a valid point, under the law.

That being said, I'm sorry you don't hear well, or at all. I'm sorry if hearing aids, or speech to text, or cochlear implants don't work for you. But to initiate litigation that now deprives 18,000+ of a valuable resource is NOT the spirit of the law, even if it is the letter of it. Anyone with a disability needs to adjust to certain limitations. The unfortunate person with no arms or legs cannot expect to be included in a basketball league. Likewise the hearing impaired cannot expect to appreciate the subtle woodwind tones of a Mozart concerto. Those that have posted that EVERY American should be able to participate in EVERY activity are deluding themselves. Reasonable accommodations should be made, and ASL interpreters are probably reasonable. If 30 individuals take 2 classes of 8 weeks, that's 480 sessions for that semester and would cost maybe $48,000 for interpreters. That's an add on fee of $2.50 for everyone else. So I suspect there is much more to this.

I had a totally deaf patient in NY. The law required that I provide an ASL interpreter for every visit at my expense. Net effect, it cost ME about $150 every time she had an appointment. Multiply that by 5-6 visits/year for 30 years. But that's the law.

So, with the limited info we have, it looks like 30 individuals were intent on cramming the letter of the ADA down 120,000 Villager's throats and the LLC may not have provided all the reasonable accommodations that the law requires. Who do I fault---THE LAW. It may do a lot of good, but like many other new and progressive ideas, it elevates the needs and wants of a small minority above that of the overwhelming majority. Mr. Trump---how about an executive order!!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
CWGuy, your post helped me remember a thread a few years ago and a member called DeafDeaf who was highly indignant about the lack of support for deaf people within the community. I found the thread, read this one too.

Recreation Dept seeks National Accreditatio

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't Mr. Schwarz.
You are right. This is the same guy. A couple of years ago The Villages Health held speakers at the Savannah Center. After a few sessions I noticed there was an interpreter with less than a dozen deaf Villagers intently involved in the presentation. After a few months there still was an interpreter with only a couple of deaf people attending. Swartz was in the middle of this.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Learning center

[QUOTE=Cedwards38;1328278]First, I'm a supporter of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). Without it the disabled would not have equal opportunities in many ways. I don't know the circumstances of the lawsuit, so I can't comment on that, but Director McDaniel of the Charter School apparently offered reasonable accommodations which were refused. I'm sure we'll hear from the other side at some point too.

Second, The Lifelong Learning College is one of the things about which I am most proud of our Villages community, and I'm deeply saddened to see it close. I

Response:
Reading the article in the Sun paper tells me there is more to this than what we see at this time. It would be nice to know the whole story, it does not seem to be here. Not meant to be asking too much but it would be nice if this was clarified as it does not seem to be reasonable as it is stated, sorry.
bbbbbb
Old 12-02-2016, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,074 Posts

Eisenberg & Baum Law Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing

If you look at the lawyers in this case they are crusaders for the rights of the hearing impaired. I do not believe though that this is an outcome they would really want of the closing of the Lifelong Learning College. It is also bad publicity for them. It just seems that almost everyone lost with this decision and its aftermath. And I feel it is very wrong to go after the Villagers that started this case. Kind of like shooting the messenger.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Eisenberg & Baum Law Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing

If you look at the lawyers in this case they are crusaders for the rights of the hearing impaired. I do not believe though that this is an outcome they would really want of the closing of the Lifelong Learning College. It is also bad publicity for them. It just seems that almost everyone lost with this decision and its aftermath.
Of course not, they wanted $$$$$$$$
Old 12-02-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmakrock@yahoo.com View Post
I have a question so if you lost your legs would you sue the villages because you can't golf?
I guess you could sue the CLL if they didn't send a taxi to take you to classes.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:10 PM
Dancing Thyme

What I find so very, very sad is that because of a few people, some here may walk away hating the ADA rules but in fact, it truly is a very good ruling and should be honored but not abused. I remember when sidewalks had to have a dip at the corners so that disabled people could get their wheel chairs off the curb easily. That was excellent. And some other rules that I think are fair and valid, but to hurt us all by shutting down our precious Learning College is totally disgusting. I am very hurt by this as it meant a lot to me and my friends. What really scares me, will this be the end?????

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-02-2016, 07:16 PM

By the way, Swartz lives in my village. I watch out for the guy in the morning when I am walking my dog because he just blows through the stop signs. Does he want The Villages to provide an interpreter at each intersection too?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Sage

I've scanned through all 13 pages of this discussion. I tried to read the document of legaleze but got weary of that. This guy sounds like he needs a better hobby since he has so much time.

Remember Marlee Matlin, the deaf actress?? She brings her own interpreter along when she is in need of communicating etc. I understand the ADA thing as we have handicapped family members, that said though it's not possible to offer them helps everywhere they go. NOT every place is handcapped accessible to the amount that it would profit them. Business establishments only put in the minimum they have to due to the cost factors of doing this. Have you been in a public bathroom lately? I'm thinking of gas stations, restaurants etc. The handicapped stall generally is at the far corner of the room and the bathroom is always...or nearly always located in a far away corner. Fine if you're in a wheelchair...maybe...but if you have other restrictions with movement like a walker or whatever it's an issue. IF this country were to accomodate every single person alive it would be ridiculous!! I once worked with developmentally handicapped folks and not ALL of their needs were met either. Maybe we all should message this guy on his FB page just to give him something to do with his time AND to give him a piece of our minds.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
First, I'm a supporter of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). Without it the disabled would not have equal opportunities in many ways. I don't know the circumstances of the lawsuit, so I can't comment on that, but Director McDaniel of the Charter School apparently offered reasonable accommodations which were refused. I'm sure we'll hear from the other side at some point too.

Second, The Lifelong Learning College is one of the things about which I am most proud of our Villages community, and I'm deeply saddened to see it close. I hope that the community can find a way to reopen the College and provide it's valuable services for the residents for years to come.
I think you have a point about hearing from the other side ... ie the plaintiffs.

It looks doubtful that the LLLC can be restored, but I think 99+% of the people in TV would "vote" to do that if they could.

Therefore, given the special circumstances and wide impact upon TV due to the closure of the LLLC, the Presidents of the HOA and POA should invite Mr. Schwarz to present his side of the case to public meetings of their respective organizations. This should be followed by discussion(s) to hopefully craft a course forward all can live with.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I've scanned through all 13 pages of this discussion. I tried to read the document of legaleze but got weary of that. This guy sounds like he needs a better hobby since he has so much time.

Remember Marlee Matlin, the deaf actress?? She brings her own interpreter along when she is in need of communicating etc. I understand the ADA thing as we have handicapped family members, that said though it's not possible to offer them helps everywhere they go. NOT every place is handcapped accessible to the amount that it would profit them. Business establishments only put in the minimum they have to due to the cost factors of doing this. Have you been in a public bathroom lately? I'm thinking of gas stations, restaurants etc. The handicapped stall generally is at the far corner of the room and the bathroom is always...or nearly always located in a far away corner. Fine if you're in a wheelchair...maybe...but if you have other restrictions with movement like a walker or whatever it's an issue. IF this country were to accomodate every single person alive it would be ridiculous!! I once worked with developmentally handicapped folks and not ALL of their needs were met either. Maybe we all should message this guy on his FB page just to give him something to do with his time AND to give him a piece of our minds.
The ADA law is one of the most expensive pieces of legislation for businesses in US history. I agree with the law, but the application and interpretation has been taken to the extreme.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Gold member

Peace on earth...Good will towards men......

doesn't apply in the villages?.....

I still think that the majority of people hear are blaming the wrong party. a little money would of solved everything.
Closed Thread

Tags
center, learning, lifelong

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.