Moffitt Cancer Center

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Default Moffitt Cancer Center

Quote:
First of two parts.

Most everybody knows this axiom: Don't pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...1468200.column
Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Default moffit scam?

Thanks for the informative article in the Orlando Sentinal. Makes me wonder how many scams do the Morses run in TV?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,524 Times in 1,916 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This is much discussed here, whether an entity has a right to open doing the same kind of business as another entity.

Seems like that kind of competition is very frequently seen.

Moffitt will be a much bigger and probably much better known same type of business and that owner will probably lose a lot of business to them.

But is it a scam?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I am concerned that they tried to scam us.

IS it a scam? Undecided, but it was proposed by lying to us. I have a friend who was treated at the Boissenault center and she was thrilled with her treatment there. She disagrees with the claim that they will have a better caliber of treatment equiptment at Moffit. I have no problem with Morse opening his own treatment center but I do have a problem with the way it was touted as offering something new that was unavailabe today.

As a former radiation therapist I know that the field is quite lucrative. As a new resident I am not sure whether the incidence of cancer in TV warrants another center or not. What I do know is that the request for money to equipt the center was done using tactics which are not completely truthful. This upset me. It makes me wonder if my subscription to the Daily Sun is money well spent.

Each Villager needs to make up their own mind on whether they want to contribute to equip the Moffit Center or not. They need to decide whether the Villages doing things to interupt The Relay for Life activities since the organizers refused to give the money raised to the Moffit Center was an ethical, moral or just action.

I personally am leaning towards believing it was not an honest effort on behalf of the Developer. I am disappointed that TV residents were considered guillable enough to accept this proposal without analyzing it. The residents of TV left behind many careers which required education that would make them perfectly competent to come to informed decision on issues. I wonder if that education was not considered when this campaign commenced.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Default A donation is voluntary

1. If you don't like the project, do not donate your money to it. (I sure wish we could take that approach with the IRS.)

2. I'm sure the Orlando Sentinel buys ink by the barrel, literally.

3. I think it is "misrepresentation" on Anderson/Bouissenault's part to portray themselves in the full-page ads as:

a) An old-time, friendly GP carrying a doctor's valise as though he were making house calls and would settle for $2 or freshly butchered chicken as compensation for coming to your house so you could stay in the bed. A picture speaks a thousand words, and that one spoke volumes.

b) As a "cancer institute", with "institute" giving the impression that all phases of cancer care are provided there, when in reality it does only ONE phase, oncology radiation treatment. They give the impression that this is a the only place one would need to go for overall cancer treatment when in fact, radiation treatment is not even appropriate for many cancer patients, and for many, it is the LAST step of the process.

All of the above makes me welcome Moffitt more and I will donate or not donate after seeking out the facts.

Everything is political. That's what this is. I just wish objectors would be as critical and investigative with Washington and state bureaus and how they squander our tax dollars they confiscate from us having NO say as to how it's used.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Sage

I think the next positive article about TV from Lauren Ritchie will be her first. (Since she is a TOTV member maybe she could correct me by pointing me to a previous good article?)

For some reason we are supposed to put a lot of credence into what a competitor says? One who may lose business to the other proposed business? I know she is an columnist and not a reporter but how this is considered fodder for a newspaper is beyond me.

Again this article is nothing but questions without any real answers. I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, to tell me why I should care. I donate to many charities and causes. Do I cringe when a report comes out that someone in an organization did something unethical with the money? Heck yeah. But do I stop all donations to that organization? No, not if I feel the greater good is being served. I'm buying a brick and I have no regrets.

Jane52 made some very good points about the other 'center'. If you feel that you were duped then by all means reserve your judgment and your money. There is still a risk to the developer of any property. By taking a risk they deserve to reap benefits if it succeeds.

Do your own research and decide. TOTV and Laureen Ritchie are only sources. Go out and get other details and please share them with us.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:34 AM

I guess there ain't no fool like an old fool. Hey, it's your money to give but why not give it to some charity that really needs it? If the "non-profit"
Villages Health System has enough money to build a second hospital at Brownwood, they have enough money to outfit Moffitt. Please understand, people, nobody is saying Moffitt here is a bad thing and that competition isn't good for us all. But we've been snookered into paying for it for them. Morse don't do anything unless he can make money at it - he is a businessman at all times.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Sage

Without taking sides in the Anderson-Morse thing, I have been uncomfortable with the Moffitt deal from the time it was announced. I used to work for a non-profit health care system and I know our members were not asked to fund the equipment for any new facility we built. Nowhere have I read anything about a benefit to the contributors once the facility is completed other than having it here. The POA complained when the plans for a cancer center in Leesburg were announced and was pleased when it was relocated to TV. I don't recall Leesburg residents being asked to fund the equipment for a Leesburg facility.

While no fan of Ritchie, something here just does not seem right. I will watch and see what happens.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane52 View Post
1. If you don't like the project, do not donate your money to it. (I sure wish we could take that approach with the IRS.)

2. I'm sure the Orlando Sentinel buys ink by the barrel, literally.

3. I think it is "misrepresentation" on Anderson/Bouissenault's part to portray themselves in the full-page ads as:

a) An old-time, friendly GP carrying a doctor's valise as though he were making house calls and would settle for $2 or freshly butchered chicken as compensation for coming to your house so you could stay in the bed. A picture speaks a thousand words, and that one spoke volumes.

b) As a "cancer institute", with "institute" giving the impression that all phases of cancer care are provided there, when in reality it does only ONE phase, oncology radiation treatment. They give the impression that this is a the only place one would need to go for overall cancer treatment when in fact, radiation treatment is not even appropriate for many cancer patients, and for many, it is the LAST step of the process.

All of the above makes me welcome Moffitt more and I will donate or not donate after seeking out the facts.

Everything is political. That's what this is. I just wish objectors would be as critical and investigative with Washington and state bureaus and how they squander our tax dollars they confiscate from us having NO say as to how it's used.
I attended the POA meeting where Dr. Anderson spoke and he indicated that he does not use a collection agency and does not turn any patient away because of inability to pay. Maybe you could call him up to see if he will take $2 or a freshly butchered chicken as compensation. He also indicated, that based on the dollars being spent for the radiation equipment for the Moffit "Center", the Villages are NOT getting the same machine that is being used in Tampa which costs in the neighborhood of $5 million.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:27 PM

I want a "Cancer Center" in the Villages. ...Don't you?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
....The POA complained when the plans for a cancer center in Leesburg were announced and was pleased when it was relocated to TV. I don't recall Leesburg residents being asked to fund the equipment for a Leesburg facility.....
It looks to me like both communities have been funding equipment and facilities for a long, long time with donated monies:

"Alliance Healthcare Foundation
The Alliance Healthcare Foundation endeavor is to create healthier communities through philanthropy, volunteerism and community partnerships.

Since 1977, the Foundation has supported the hospitals’ programs, services and growing needs.....

Charitable gifts to the Alliance Healthcare Foundation are one of the most important and fulfilling ways to make a positive difference in the well-being of our community, since every patient is treated regardless of their ability to pay." (from CFHA Foundation website)
Old 01-23-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I don't recall Leesburg residents being asked to fund the equipment for a Leesburg facility.
I read that they were doing fund-raising for the entire facility in Leesburg - building, equipment, everything -- some $25 million.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Platinum member

I am Moffitt http://www.moffitt.org/ graduate, having been treatedby them in 2003. I still drive to Tampa once a year for my annual checkup.

Because of my positive experience with them, I am a Moffitt supporter.

When they came to Tampa a number of years ago, there was much of the same conversation. "St Joe's has the same equipment, University Community Hospital has the same equipment. We have many oncologists in Tampa--don't need others coming in.

What Moffit brought was an Interdisciplinary Team Approach. When you are treated at Moffit, you are treated by a team already in place. They meet and discus your case. Each of the team members has ALL of your records.
This interdisciplinary team approach is one of the ways Moffitt has the edge.

Moffit is rated with Sloan Kettering, MD Anderson and many of the other top cancer centers.
Tampa, FL
Old 01-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

I'm not going to take a position on the fundraising issue for the proposed Moffit center in TV. However, I do question the need for duplicative costly equipment and services if they already exist in a community.

I suggest it's time that we all start looking at the costs of medical care in general. After all, isn't that cost one of the things contributing to this Country's fiscal crisis? Why is this duplication within the confines of The Villages necessary? Dr. Anderson and his staff already are affiiliated with Moffit. While Morse is attempting to raise funds for the purchase of this equipment through donations (a "freebie"), that certainly isn't the end of monies needed to maintain, repair and eventually replace the equipment when newer technologies beome available.

While a Moffit affiliate within TVRH may be needed (and is surely wanted) for the TV community, isn't there another cancer related medical specialty that could be brought in since the radiology specialty is already provided within the community?

As an aside, I sure hope Dr. Anderson owns the building he's in. If it's leased from the Morse family, I'm sure his lease won't be extended. That would be a major moral and ethical crime.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Default Dr. Anderson's Building

At the POA meeting Dr. Anderson stated that he owns his land and building.

From Liberty, MO
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.