Morse, Moffitt, Ritchie and Villages Bashing

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 02-10-2011, 10:08 PM
chuckinca's Avatar
chuckinca chuckinca is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Red:

I really appreciate your comments regarding life in TV, for me they are a breath of fresh air that is just slightly influenced by the usual right wing banter.

GG:

When is your next open house? Your friend -


Chuck
__________________
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
  #32  
Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 PM
katezbox's Avatar
katezbox katezbox is offline
Golden Sunrise Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Village of Bonita
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Once again, Lauren Ritchie is attacked for reporting news that that our alleged local newspaper, The Daily Sun, either does not report, distorts, or buries on a back page. One may disagree with Ms. Ritchie's tone and/or her interpretation of the facts, but where are the factual inaccuracies?

I find the allegations that the Orlando Sentinel is doing its reporting on The Villages to increase circulation to be particularly absurd. How many additional subscribers do you really think the Sentinel has gotten as a result of Ms. Ritchie's articles? In fact, what the Orlando Sentinel is doing with its articles on The Villages is is what real newspapers are supposed to do-- report the facts of stories that are of importance to their readers.
I think if you read many of the recent posts - we are not attacking the messenger, nor praising the Daily Scum - er Sun. BUT had I written any articles in my high school Journalism class, I would have failed as the teacher would refer to what she writes as "yellow journalism."

A few examples from her article... "stunning snag" "there should be ranting about the Morse family, their hired henchmen" (hired henchmen???)

PS - If her reporting is not to increase circulation, then why publish what she writes?
__________________
Holyoke, Mass; East Granby, Monroe, Madison and Branford, Conn; Port Clyde, Maine; North Myrtle Beach, SC; The Village of Bonita (April 2009 - )
  #33  
Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,388
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,009 Times in 506 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitakk View Post
I owe Morse and his family nothing - I just bought a house from him. He means nothing to me and I mean nothing to him, and that's just fine. I am under no false pretenses that he cares one way or the other about my welfare, nor I him. Somehow, I picture The Wizard of Oz with a little man behind the curtain, controlling the newspaper, the radio, the bank and even a TV station (shall we discuss how bad that one is?), trying desperately to control all that is seen and heard in his land. Alas and alack, someone pulls the curtain back but some don't want to look. No one should have the amount of power he has over this community. Cabo, I don't want happy news - I want the truth. You say we are not getting the truth from Lauren Ritchie because she dislikes Morse and because it was on the Opinion page, it has no basis in fact because she's not a real reporter. Well, where were the two "articles" today in the Sun? Oh yeah, on the Opinion page and written by two people who owe either a) their livelihood, or b) their position to Morse. Let's see, who has more credibility...hmmmm.

Bottom line is it's your money and if it makes you "happy" to give it away, go ahead. Personally, I ain't buying what they are selling. They are using stories of people's tragedies with cancer to their advantage, and it makes me sick to see facts twisted and blurred to their advantage.
Just one short question. Are you sorry you bought your house?
  #34  
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 PM
ajakk ajakk is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Follow the Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
There is no question that Ritchie and the Sentinel have an agenda against the Morses (it's a Democratic paper; the Morses are diehard Republicans). Anything written in the Sentinel should be taken with a grain of salt and investigated.

The "articles" in today's Sun are NOT articles -- they are letters to the editor appearing as articles or columns. They should be taken with the same grain of salt that should be applied to Ms. Ritchie.

As to the Relay for Life incident, I'll happily take the word of F16 and Whalen, both of whom were at the meeting and both of whom are very active in Relay, where it was announced there would be no Relay on Villages' property. ACS has always had the policy that it will not share proceeds with another entity -- it is in their Bylaws. To make them the heavy in this patently unfair.

So, maybe someone can explain how it was that the Morses donated the land and the cost of building to the Moffitt Center on TV property and it is now a lease deal? The Sun did originally say the Morses were donating the land and building and that $6.3 million in contributions were needed for the equipment. Now, the land and building are not donated and the money has decreased because some of the equipment was found to be already available.

I still see no advantage to having a Moffitt on TV property and one in Leesburg. At best, it seems superfluous. Tell me one is a Moffitt center and one is a Shands center and it might make more sense -- there might actually be some difference in treatment plans between the two facilities, but not if both are from the same cancer center.

As to Morse bashing, I'm the first to admit I'm not a fan of the Morses and do feel they are a bit too greedy. I also believe that Harold Schwartz's vision would never have occurred without Gary Morse's hard work. I also believe that the Morses are a great business family and have created something truly remarkable here. That doesn't mean they are perfect. Nor does it mean that everything they do is altruistic or greedy. It means they fall in the middle -- some things are truly done with the best of intentions; some things are done because of personal beliefs; some things are done out of pure, unadulterated greed and the belief they can get away with it because they are the Morses. Regardless, we shouldn't blindly revile them nor praise them without getting all the facts possible. In the case of the Moffitt Center, it will be hard to get the facts -- too much of it is closed off to the public and too much is already lost in rumors, half-truths and lies. Some of us do the best we can with the information we have. We may interpret things incorrectly but we do the best we can with what we have.
Could not have said it better!
  #35  
Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,183
Thanks: 2,894
Thanked 2,439 Times in 897 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Cabo and Redwitch, you both are extremely bright, and wonderfully able to articulate your ideas without venom and hype. I respect you both mightily.

In fact, this is one of the best examples of a discussion that I have read on this forum.

Only a couple people vented, ranted, and failed to address the issue.

I had to be sarcastic so I got a D-.

The rest of you. I am so proud to know you.
  #36  
Old 02-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Larry Wilson Larry Wilson is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 379
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I agree Gracie. I have been here 7 years full time and love it. It's an amazing place. That being said, our secret complicated ruler has lost some of my confidence through the years. I'm so glad he or rather they are being watched. So like Red, I love it here but not everything.
  #37  
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Advogado Advogado is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 789
Thanks: 42
Thanked 257 Times in 109 Posts
Default Flunking high-school journalism or getting an A+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
I think if you read many of the recent posts - we are not attacking the messenger, nor praising the Daily Scum - er Sun. BUT had I written any articles in my high school Journalism class, I would have failed as the teacher would refer to what she writes as "yellow journalism."

A few examples from her article... "stunning snag" "there should be ranting about the Morse family, their hired henchmen" (hired henchmen???)

PS - If her reporting is not to increase circulation, then why publish what she writes?
Yellow journalism? Perhaps. Inaccurate reporting? I don't think so. Do I always agree with her tone, her occasional hyperbole, and her interpretation of the facts? No.

Flunking your high-school journalism class because you wrote like Ms. Ritchie? It the assignment was to write an AP-type, just-the-facts-maam, news bulletin, clearly an F. However, if the assignment was to investigate and comment on a major news story being covered up or distorted by the local newspaper because the story involved the owner of that newspaper, I think you would have gotten an "A+" if you dug deep, exposed the truth, and came our swinging the way Ms. Ritchie does.

With respect to the PS: So every article in every newspaper is published to increase circulation and should be ignored even if factually correct? Should we get our news from TV instead?

I repeat what I think is the central question: Has anybody found any material, factual inaccuracies in any of Ms. Ritchie's articles about The Villages? The personal attacks on Ms. Ritchie and on her writing style, and one can certainly disagree with her writing style, seem to have deflected attention from this central question.
  #38  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:04 AM
nitakk nitakk is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Just one short question. Are you sorry you bought your house?
No, I am glad I bought my house - you can still enjoy living here without agreeing with the developer's way of doing things. I think it is important for people who think we are "Morse-bashing" to understand living here and agreeing with him are not related in any way. I bought this lifestyle but it doesn't mean I have to agree or support whatever he wants. I will say I have been disappointed when it fully hit me how strong the leash is and how some people seem practically devoted to him. Sorry, I just don't get it!
  #39  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,183
Thanks: 2,894
Thanked 2,439 Times in 897 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitakk View Post
No, I am glad I bought my house - you can still enjoy living here without agreeing with the developer's way of doing things. I think it is important for people who think we are "Morse-bashing" to understand living here and agreeing with him are not related in any way. I bought this lifestyle but it doesn't mean I have to agree or support whatever he wants. I will say I have been disappointed when it fully hit me how strong the leash is and how some people seem practically devoted to him. Sorry, I just don't get it!
Fair and reasonable. I don't know that people are devoted to the Morses. A good many people respect them for all they have accomplished. No one knows what they are like personally because they don't "walk among us". and I wouldn't either if I were them, it isn't easy or possible to please everyone.

This is NOT a democracy, it is a different form of government and people need to understand that amenities and restrictions aren't going to be changed and you have no vote in it. The paper is Republican (and the majority of people living here are too)

The Morses have my respect for arranging and building this very well run place. It is impossible to please everyone all of the time, but I think most people most of the time are pleased.

If you are considering moving here it is wise to know that you can't do a lot of things, i.e. park your boat or RV in the drive or even wash your car there. You can't put up "stuff" out in your yard without approval, and you can't do this and that.

But you can still do all of the wonderful things that the Morses have thought out and arranged.

I think we can give them that.

No place is perfect. This place is close.
  #40  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 AM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is online now
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,134
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,397 Times in 690 Posts
Default I would agree that most have not met any of the Morse family.

As far as them walking among us, most of them do. Many of them shop along side us like Mrs. Morse, Mark Morse, Jennifer Paar and many of the related that have positions of strength in the family in TV.

Like any other corporation or private business entity, their priority is, first and foremost to make a profit for their share holders or owners. By providing a reasonable, quality and competitive product, with reasonable after the sale service. Corporations or privately owned companies are not democratic entities.

Does not mean we the people need to agree with anything they decide/do in the process. And we are so fortunate to still live in a country where we can state our feelings, opinions or preferences in either agreement or disagreement.

btk
__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
  #41  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
katezbox's Avatar
katezbox katezbox is offline
Golden Sunrise Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Village of Bonita
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Yellow journalism? Perhaps. Inaccurate reporting? I don't think so. Do I always agree with her tone, her occasional hyperbole, and her interpretation of the facts? No.

Flunking your high-school journalism class because you wrote like Ms. Ritchie? It the assignment was to write an AP-type, just-the-facts-maam, news bulletin, clearly an F. However, if the assignment was to investigate and comment on a major news story being covered up or distorted by the local newspaper because the story involved the owner of that newspaper, I think you would have gotten an "A+" if you dug deep, exposed the truth, and came our swinging the way Ms. Ritchie does.

With respect to the PS: So every article in every newspaper is published to increase circulation and should be ignored even if factually correct? Should we get our news from TV instead?

I repeat what I think is the central question: Has anybody found any material, factual inaccuracies in any of Ms. Ritchie's articles about The Villages? The personal attacks on Ms. Ritchie and on her writing style, and one can certainly disagree with her writing style, seem to have deflected attention from this central question.

Sorry Advogado, I just don't buy it.

No one in their right minds would think the the Daily Scum is actually there to cover news. And the Sentinel should absolutely cover the story - although she is up to Part IV which I think is a bit much. The "major news" isn't that the Sun ignored this - it is the heavy handed techniques used against the folks at Relay. That is deplorable.


Of course newspapers publish stories to increase circulation and therefore sell (more) advertising...but they have a responsibility to report the truth - and to not willingly distort it.

One foundation of yellow journalism is overuse of hyberbole - at which Ms. Ritchie is so effective. Who are Morse's "hench men"? And her expose on the bond issue with the IRS predicted that Villagers would have to pay thousands of dollars of their own money without providing any support for these "facts."

All I am saying is that the developer is not as bad as she paints him, nor as angelic a father figure as others depict. He is a business man (and sometimes a greedy one) looking to make money.
__________________
Holyoke, Mass; East Granby, Monroe, Madison and Branford, Conn; Port Clyde, Maine; North Myrtle Beach, SC; The Village of Bonita (April 2009 - )
  #42  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
spk7951's Avatar
spk7951 spk7951 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Village of Hadley
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
In fact, what the Orlando Sentinel is doing with its articles on The Villages is is what real newspapers are supposed to do-- report the facts of stories that are of importance to their readers.

True, but where are the opposing viewpoints in any of these articles she has written? We see emails from folks against Moffitt but I have not seen any emails from those in favor of it. Nor have I seen quotes from folks who travel to Tampa for cancer treatment and how they view Moffitt coming to TV. Those additions to the writing would seem to me to offer a more objective viewpoint.
  #43  
Old 02-11-2011, 11:11 AM
katezbox's Avatar
katezbox katezbox is offline
Golden Sunrise Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Village of Bonita
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
As far as them walking among us, most of them do. Many of them shop along side us like Mrs. Morse, Mark Morse, Jennifer Paar and many of the related that have positions of strength in the family in TV.

Like any other corporation or private business entity, their priority is, first and foremost to make a profit for their share holders or owners. By providing a reasonable, quality and competitive product, with reasonable after the sale service. Corporations or privately owned companies are not democratic entities.

Does not mean we the people need to agree with anything they decide/do in the process. And we are so fortunate to still live in a country where we can state our feelings, opinions or preferences in either agreement or disagreement.

btk
Exactly right!
__________________
Holyoke, Mass; East Granby, Monroe, Madison and Branford, Conn; Port Clyde, Maine; North Myrtle Beach, SC; The Village of Bonita (April 2009 - )
  #44  
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 PM
eweissenbach's Avatar
eweissenbach eweissenbach is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Smithville (Kansas City) Mo./ Megan Villas, Sanibel TV
Posts: 4,308
Thanks: 35
Thanked 180 Times in 73 Posts
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default

I find it hard to justify reviling Lauren Ritchie as an example of "slanted or biased journalism" and then hold up refutations of her opinions published in the Daily Sun (all the news deemed fit to print by the Morris family) on the "opinion page" as factual reporting. Ritchie does seem to revel in news that in her mind is negative to the Villages and the founding family, but without her voice all we would get is the pitiful excuse of "news" eminating from the Villages media. As several have said, it is best to review all the sources and do some digging of one's own, in order to find the truth. None of this makes me less interested in settling in TV, but is, nonetheless, interesting and enlightening.
__________________
Oldcoach Ed
"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails" "Be yourself - everyone else is taken"
  #45  
Old 02-11-2011, 01:41 PM
downeaster downeaster is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,562
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

A lot has been said about Richie's Village bashing. Has no one noticed the bashing taking place on the editorial page of The Sun?

This thread brings to mind the old adage: "It all depends on whose ox is being gored."
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.