Morse, Moffitt, Ritchie and Villages Bashing

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 02-11-2011, 01:42 PM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,701
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Ritchie Bashing

Its all so confusing as to whom is friend and whom is foe?
  #47  
Old 02-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Advogado Advogado is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 789
Thanks: 42
Thanked 257 Times in 109 Posts
Default Sources of news about The Villages and the Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Sorry Advogado, I just don't buy it.

No one in their right minds would think the the Daily Scum is actually there to cover news. And the Sentinel should absolutely cover the story - although she is up to Part IV which I think is a bit much. The "major news" isn't that the Sun ignored this - it is the heavy handed techniques used against the folks at Relay. That is deplorable.


Of course newspapers publish stories to increase circulation and therefore sell (more) advertising...but they have a responsibility to report the truth - and to not willingly distort it.

One foundation of yellow journalism is overuse of hyberbole - at which Ms. Ritchie is so effective. Who are Morse's "hench men"? And her expose on the bond issue with the IRS predicted that Villagers would have to pay thousands of dollars of their own money without providing any support for these "facts."

All I am saying is that the developer is not as bad as she paints him, nor as angelic a father figure as others depict. He is a business man (and sometimes a greedy one) looking to make money.
With respect to your statement about Ms. Ritchie's articles on the IRS investigation: I have read all publicly available documents generated during the investigation. Have you? If you had, you might share some of Ms. Ritchie's outrage. Let me assure you that Ms. Ritchie's facts are correct, as is her concern about the potentially huge adverse impact on Villagers if the IRS sustains its position. (I think, however, that the impact would occur in a different way than her analysis indicates, but that is beside the point here.)

Again: Has anybody found any material factual inaccuracies in her reporting? You don't seem to be able to come up with any, although you clearly don't like the packaging in which she delivers the facts-- and I can accept that. Unfortunately, however, if it were not for Lauren Ritchie and the POA Bulletin, Villagers would have absolutely no way of obtaining news that reflects unfavorably on actions by the Developer or on The Villages, itself.
  #48  
Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 PM
katezbox's Avatar
katezbox katezbox is offline
Golden Sunrise Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Village of Bonita
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
With respect to your statement about Ms. Ritchie's articles on the IRS investigation: I have read all publicly available documents generated during the investigation. Have you? If you had, you might share some of Ms. Ritchie's outrage. Let me assure you that Ms. Ritchie's facts are correct, as is her concern about the potentially huge adverse impact on Villagers if the IRS sustains its position. (I think, however, that the impact would occur in a different way than her analysis indicates, but that is beside the point here.)

Again: Has anybody found any material factual inaccuracies in her reporting? You don't seem to be able to come up with any, although you clearly don't like the packaging in which she delivers the facts-- and I can accept that. Unfortunately, however, if it were not for Lauren Ritchie and the POA Bulletin, Villagers would have absolutely no way of obtaining news that reflects unfavorably on actions by the Developer or on The Villages, itself.
I agree wholeheartedly that the Sun is not a source of objective info on TV. It is essentially a marketing newsletter. We do not subscribe. For news we read the Sentinel and other publications on line and in weekly newsmagazines. The New York Times covered the IRS bond issue - in a way that presented the issues and was "fit to print.".

I do not agree that Ms Ritchie deals only in facts. I will ask again. Who are the Morse family's henchmen and what have they done? There are no facts that I can see supporting such a statement.

Henchman is a strong term, with a precise meaning. From dictionary.com:

1. an unscrupulous and ruthless subordinate, especially a criminal: The leader of the gang went everywhere accompanied by his henchmen.
2. an unscrupulous supporter or adherent of a political figure or cause, especially one motivated by the hope of personal gain: Hitler and his henchmen.
3.a trusted attendant, supporter, or follower.

That last of these may be what she intended?

Regarding the bonds. The Sentinel archives do not reach back that far. But Ms Ritchie posted this on TOTV..."this IRS investigation and about the way that the developer has used the community development districts to his benefit -- at terrible expense and liability to Villages residents. "

What expense and what liability? Potential, yes. Actual, no (to date). So again, another case of hyperbole with no support.

I realize that she is a columnist and not a "reporter." But keep in mind that free speech has it's limits - no one has the right to yell "fire" in a crowded theatre. IMHO, that is all Ms. Ritchie is doing.
__________________
Holyoke, Mass; East Granby, Monroe, Madison and Branford, Conn; Port Clyde, Maine; North Myrtle Beach, SC; The Village of Bonita (April 2009 - )
  #49  
Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Taj44 Taj44 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=katezbox;330100...Regarding the bonds. The Sentinel archives do not reach back that far. But Ms Ritchie posted this on TOTV..."this IRS investigation and about the way that the developer has used the community development districts to his benefit -- at terrible expense and liability to Villages residents. "

What expense and what liability? Potential, yes. Actual, no (to date). So again, another case of hyperbole with no support.[/QUOTE]

If you will recall, in 1998 it was necessary for Villages residents to sue the developer Morse because of misuse of funds that were supposed to go towards maintence of Villages facilities. The class-action lawsuit contended monthly amenity fees paid by every homeowner in the community had been misused by The Villages of Lake-Sumter Inc., the Village Center Community Development District and developer H. Gary Morse.

It was considered a long-shot case, but the residents won. Morse and the corporations behind The Villages agreed in a civil court settlement to pay $40 million over 13 years to cover improvements and repairs to recreation centers, swimming pools and other facilities. I would say this was a pretty good example of the developer using the CDD to his benefit. If the residents hadn't sued, he'd still be enjoying the use of the amenity fees.
  #50  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 PM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,098
Thanks: 1
Thanked 65 Times in 27 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

Cabo, don't know what happened to your post and link. It was there (obviously) when I went to check the link and gone when I was starting to reply. This is not going to make sense to many, but it will to you:

Read the whole thing -- a lot of vitriole and hyperbole, not much facts given. The author of the blog either assumes we know all of the facts, is afraid to post the facts because they're not accurate or has no clue of the facts himself. One important thing to remember is that this is simply a blog -- it is not a Lady Lake site. It is not a Lake County site. It is a blog by a concerned citizen.

I can't comment on much of what he wrote because I simplly don't know the facts. I live in Sumter County; can't vote in Lake County; have a tendency to only follow local issues that directly affect me (not one of my better traits, I'm afraid).

Given all of that, I'd say the blog has about as much merit as the hyperbole in Ms. Ritchie's columns: some true facts interpreted towards the author's views with a lot of venom tossed out toward the opponent (subject of the column/blog).
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #51  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Larry Wilson Larry Wilson is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 379
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
If you will recall, in 1998 it was necessary for Villages residents to sue the developer Morse because of misuse of funds that were supposed to go towards maintence of Villages facilities. The class-action lawsuit contended monthly amenity fees paid by every homeowner in the community had been misused by The Villages of Lake-Sumter Inc., the Village Center Community Development District and developer H. Gary Morse.

It was considered a long-shot case, but the residents won. Morse and the corporations behind The Villages agreed in a civil court settlement to pay $40 million over 13 years to cover improvements and repairs to recreation centers, swimming pools and other facilities. I would say this was a pretty good example of the developer using the CDD to his benefit. If the residents hadn't sued, he'd still be enjoying the use of the amenity fees.
Good point.
  #52  
Old 02-12-2011, 02:20 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,183
Thanks: 2,894
Thanked 2,439 Times in 897 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
If you will recall, in 1998 it was necessary for Villages residents to sue the developer Morse because of misuse of funds that were supposed to go towards maintence of Villages facilities. The class-action lawsuit contended monthly amenity fees paid by every homeowner in the community had been misused by The Villages of Lake-Sumter Inc., the Village Center Community Development District and developer H. Gary Morse.

It was considered a long-shot case, but the residents won. Morse and the corporations behind The Villages agreed in a civil court settlement to pay $40 million over 13 years to cover improvements and repairs to recreation centers, swimming pools and other facilities. I would say this was a pretty good example of the developer using the CDD to his benefit. If the residents hadn't sued, he'd still be enjoying the use of the amenity fees.
I thought I remembered another reason and a lesser amount for this lawsuit. Can you tell us where this information can be located? Would it be in the POA archives?

Did you move into your second home in TV thinking this?

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-12-2011 at 09:18 AM.
  #53  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 AM
bike42's Avatar
bike42 bike42 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 464
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
If you will recall, in 1998 it was necessary for Villages residents to sue the developer Morse because of misuse of funds that were supposed to go towards maintence of Villages facilities. The class-action lawsuit contended monthly amenity fees paid by every homeowner in the community had been misused by The Villages of Lake-Sumter Inc., the Village Center Community Development District and developer H. Gary Morse.

It was considered a long-shot case, but the residents won. Morse and the corporations behind The Villages agreed in a civil court settlement to pay $40 million over 13 years to cover improvements and repairs to recreation centers, swimming pools and other facilities. I would say this was a pretty good example of the developer using the CDD to his benefit. If the residents hadn't sued, he'd still be enjoying the use of the amenity fees.
Oh Please. The point of the lawsuit was that the older northern part of TV thought they were not getting a fair share of the amenity fees, that the funds were going disproportionately to facilities for the newer southern villages. The lawsuit never claimed that Morse was using the fees for his personal benefit.
  #54  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Mikeod's Avatar
Mikeod Mikeod is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Caroline
Posts: 5,021
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaParkersburg View Post
If I had to pay $135.00 per month for my amenities and an additional $135.00 per month to the Villages developers for their toys and caviar, I would still be very happy with this place and never complain. We have lived several places overseas and all over the United States for comparison and The Villages, hands down, is the best we have ever seen. We would be more likely to feel guilty that we are taking advantage of the developers than the other way around. No Flames please, just put the cost of living here in perspective for a more positive point of view. Americans are greedy people, so stop looking for things to condemn The Villages for and you will find time to enjoy activities worth far more than your amenity fee.
Please try to differentiate between people who love the community (almost all of us) and those who have misgivings about the way the developer operates at times. It is possible to love what has been created while still expressing concerns about matters that affect us.
  #55  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 AM
nitehawk nitehawk is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Newark, NJ - Villages
Posts: 1,193
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Please try to differentiate between people who love the community (almost all of us) and those who have misgivings about the way the developer operates at times. It is possible to love what has been created while still expressing concerns about matters that affect us.
Excellent reply
  #56  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 AM
JenAjd JenAjd is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 613
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaParkersburg View Post
If I had to pay $135.00 per month for my amenities and an additional $135.00 per month to the Villages developers for their toys and caviar, I would still be very happy with this place and never complain. We have lived several places overseas and all over the United States for comparison and The Villages, hands down, is the best we have ever seen. We would be more likely to feel guilty that we are taking advantage of the developers than the other way around. No Flames please, just put the cost of living here in perspective for a more positive point of view. Americans are greedy people, so stop looking for things to condemn The Villages for and you will find time to enjoy activities worth far more than your amenity fee.
GREAT points!!!! It's obvious that there will be the "nay-sayers and the yay-sayers" no matter what.....It's too bad that "some" have to try to find the negative in everything---giving no thoughts on how good they have it!
  #57  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Challenger's Avatar
Challenger Challenger is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,172
Thanks: 48
Thanked 300 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike42 View Post
Oh Please. The point of the lawsuit was that the older northern part of TV thought they were not getting a fair share of the amenity fees, that the funds were going disproportionately to facilities for the newer southern villages. The lawsuit never claimed that Morse was using the fees for his personal benefit.
Great point. When your mind is made up it is easy to conform the "facts" to your view. What this subject needs is more light( facts ) and less heat.
  #58  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Taj44 Taj44 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Please try to differentiate between people who love the community (almost all of us) and those who have misgivings about the way the developer operates at times. It is possible to love what has been created while still expressing concerns about matters that affect us.
Thank you Mikeod for your courtesy. For those who are interested, and please don't shoot the messenger, the link to the actual class action settlement notice is here: http://www.thevillagesfl.us/classactionsettlement.htm It claimed monthly amenity fees paid by The Villages' 70,000 residents had been misused by The Villages of Lake-Sumter Incorporated, the Village Center Community Development District and developer H. Gary Morse. The claim was upheld in court with a $40 million settlement.


Here's another link to a Tampa newspaper story which gives a few more details. Of course, the settlement was reached with confidentiality clauses and the Morses' not admitting any wrongdoing. The story was carried in all the major news outlets. http://www.sptimes.com/2008/03/10/St...develope.shtml

Gracie, no I did not know of the lawsuit when I purchased here, although I don't see why you would be interested in that or what it even has to do with anything?

I love the lifestyle here in The Villages as much as the next person, but let's face it, the Developer didn't act responsibly when he let those facilities decline and didn't provide for the required maintenance. He had to be forced into it by a lawsuit. It is a matter of public record.
  #59  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,183
Thanks: 2,894
Thanked 2,439 Times in 897 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
Thank you Mikeod for your courtesy. For those who are interested, and please don't shoot the messenger, the link to the actual class action settlement notice is here: http://www.thevillagesfl.us/classactionsettlement.htm It claimed monthly amenity fees paid by The Villages' 70,000 residents had been misused by The Villages of Lake-Sumter Incorporated, the Village Center Community Development District and developer H. Gary Morse. The claim was upheld in court with a $40 million settlement.


Here's another link to a Tampa newspaper story which gives a few more details. Of course, the settlement was reached with confidentiality clauses and the Morses' not admitting any wrongdoing. The story was carried in all the major news outlets. http://www.sptimes.com/2008/03/10/St...develope.shtml

Gracie, no I did not know of the lawsuit when I purchased here, although I don't see why you would be interested in that or what it even has to do with anything?

I love the lifestyle here in The Villages as much as the next person, but let's face it, the Developer didn't act responsibly when he let those facilities decline and didn't provide for the required maintenance. He had to be forced into it by a lawsuit. It is a matter of public record.
Well Taj, those SOB Morses got caught and paid up. I am not going to worry about what they are planning now to hoodwink all of us and take our money because we have a lot of watch dogs who will. I know I can count on the people here who are permanently disenchanted about something to protect me.
  #60  
Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 AM
katezbox's Avatar
katezbox katezbox is offline
Golden Sunrise Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Village of Bonita
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
Thank you Mikeod for your courtesy. For those who are interested, and please don't shoot the messenger, the link to the actual class action settlement notice is here: http://www.thevillagesfl.us/classactionsettlement.htm It claimed monthly amenity fees paid by The Villages' 70,000 residents had been misused by The Villages of Lake-Sumter Incorporated, the Village Center Community Development District and developer H. Gary Morse. The claim was upheld in court with a $40 million settlement.


Here's another link to a Tampa newspaper story which gives a few more details. Of course, the settlement was reached with confidentiality clauses and the Morses' not admitting any wrongdoing. The story was carried in all the major news outlets. http://www.sptimes.com/2008/03/10/St...develope.shtml

Gracie, no I did not know of the lawsuit when I purchased here, although I don't see why you would be interested in that or what it even has to do with anything?

I love the lifestyle here in The Villages as much as the next person, but let's face it, the Developer didn't act responsibly when he let those facilities decline and didn't provide for the required maintenance. He had to be forced into it by a lawsuit. It is a matter of public record.
Taj - I agree that this was a long shot - and it worked. I applaud the POA for working for us. As you say, he didn't do right and ws caught out. I don't argue that the Morses are perfect - just that they built a better mousetrap.

I think that many seem expect more from the developer than a good home and wonderful lifestyle and view the Morse family as paternaistic. I see them as businessmen.

Lastly, I applaud Lauren Ritchie for bringing "Relaygate" to a larger community. I just don't think a four part article full of innuendos and hyperbole is necessary or helpful.
__________________
Holyoke, Mass; East Granby, Monroe, Madison and Branford, Conn; Port Clyde, Maine; North Myrtle Beach, SC; The Village of Bonita (April 2009 - )
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.