New House: rip out carpet in bedrooms and replace with tile that is in other areas?

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2020, 05:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Need opinions please...…...new house that is currently empty. Would you rip up the carpet in the bedrooms and replace those rooms with the tile that is in the rest of the home? Or, is carpet best in the bedrooms? Fear is down the road when the carpet is worn, the tile will no longer be available, if we want tile then...…..thanks. Should add, house is very small.
Why would someone else's opinion matter to you as to what you want to do in your bedrooms? What do you want? Do you want tile or carpet?
Old 03-17-2020, 05:24 AM

We just installed luxury vinyl plank throughout the entire house. No transition pieces. It flows beautifully from one room to the other. WE LOVE IT. It looks so realistic that hubby was afraid he was going to get a splinter if he walked barefoot hahaha. (Its a barnwood design) . ANW flooring did the install ....they were very professional and took their time to get it right. I have area rugs in 3 rooms. Still shopping for the perfect dining room and master bedroom rugs. I love the fact that its a waterproof floor; and it isnt affected by high humidity. It feels great under my bare feet. Cleans with just plain water and a damp mop.

Carpeting never gets truly cleaned unless it is done professionally... and not 100% then!
Old 03-17-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Need opinions please...…...new house that is currently empty. Would you rip up the carpet in the bedrooms and replace those rooms with the tile that is in the rest of the home? Or, is carpet best in the bedrooms? Fear is down the road when the carpet is worn, the tile will no longer be available, if we want tile then...…..thanks. Should add, house is very small.
We just replaced all carpet after being in the home for 3 years. Should have had it done before we occupied.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:49 AM

Hello there. I would replace the carpet, tile is always quicker and easier to clean, plus like you said, down the road if you decide to replace, then you might not find title. Another reason could be, if you decide to rent it out, tenants might have allergies and carpets aggravate that situation. Good luck!!!
Old 03-17-2020, 05:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

I’ve lived in a lot of houses with hardwood flooring in my life, and I like the look, generally—though primarily when it’s partly covered by carpets. To me, laminated and pre-finished hardwood looks fake, like the finishes on lots of furniture that is sprayed with little dots of paint so it will look like better wood than it is. Even the best vinyl fake-wood strips look fake to me, and it doesn’t necessarily wear much better than carpet. It is quieter than tile, though.

There is tile that is very attractive, but what I tend to see in houses for sale in TV is mostly big white tiles, or something similar. Tile floors are great for wheelchairs or to avoid tripping. However, I have also walked barefoot on tiles that were fine when my feet were dry but very dangerous when my feet were wet. Pulling up and replacing those tiles was not cheap. A white tile floor can add a lot of light to a room. That can be nice. However, tile also echoes a lot, so your quiet living room sounds like a bus station waiting room when you are conversing with friends. Not very intimate. A lot of people solve that problem by putting down throw rugs or Chinese carpets, but that defeats the ease of use when walking or using a wheelchair.

It’s true that carpet collects sand, dust, dander, and more. It has to be vacuumed and cleaned on occasion. But those things still occur with tile floors, too. With tile, though, that stuff needs to be swept up, sometimes several times a week. Then comes the dry mop throughout the house to get the dust. Then the wet mop to remove the dirt, especially when the tile is light colored. In my experience, tile demands more work in cleaning than carpet if you don’t want it to feel gritty underfoot or see dust bunnies scampering across the floor. That sand underfoot can also scratch some tiles. If you have your windows open, sand will blow in.

One good thing about tile in Florida is that on a hot summer day when your air conditioning is set at 74°, if you are barefoot, the tile will feel cold unless there is heating underneath it, and that will help you feel cooler. By contrast, carpeting will not chill your feet and make your arthritis flare up.

When I bought a house in TV, I found myself put off by all the houses with tile floors—I came nowhere near choosing any of them—and I chose a house with nice wall-to-wall carpet (except in the bathrooms and kitchen, of course). Not everyone agrees with me, but some would. I would say that if you can’t stand your carpet anymore and want to replace it, use tile if you like, but I would suggest the kind that is light grey and looks like three foot long planks of barn wood. It’s less likely to show the dust. I put 800 square feet of dark grey Italian porcelain tile in one house I built, along with light grey industrial carpet in the rest of the house, and I always loved it. (Industrial carpet was sturdy, didn’t trip people, and was only about $5 a yard. It had a very clean look, as it was low pile.)

My dad is 91, and his carpeting will need to be replaced when he goes. He asks me if he should replace it now, though he is happy with it. I tell him no, because the old carpet will be taken into account in the price, and whoever buys the house can put in the carpet they want instead of offering a lower price because they don’t like the new carpet he chooses.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:27 AM

We bought new 2 years ago. Had all the carpet removed before we moved in. We have dogs and it is much easier to clean.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:28 AM

I don't agree with the increased value idea here.
Location: We have recently purchased a home at 6036 Dijulio in Monarch Grove. We
Default This is the first upgrade we will make to our new house in Monarch Grove.

All three bedrooms have carpet, it is a nice neutral grey but not our taste. Our home in Wisconsin has no carpet floors are either wood or marble with some tile in bathrooms.
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
If you go to Great Lakes flooring on 301 and purchase Karastan carpeting, it will come with a 20-year guarantee as long as you have it cleaned every 1.5 years. Plus, they will give you coupons for free cleaning for the first four cleanings. At least, that was the case in 2018 when we recarpeted our bedrooms in our first house.

The carpeting is beautiful, and they use a special padding under it. It feels like you're walking on a cloud.

Lots of people like the flooring in a smaller house to be all the same, but this is an option you should at least take a look at.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Why would someone else's opinion matter to you as to what you want to do in your bedrooms? What do you want? Do you want tile or carpet?
FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!! She's looking for ideas from what others have done. That's what a forum is for--exchange of ideas.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

When we bought our resale, which was like new, we removed all the carpet in the three bedrooms before we moved in and had wood floors put in the bedrooms. Floor Masters did it 9 years ago and they still look like new. Easy to clean, no yucky things crawing in the carpets to worry about. It is, however, a personal decision. Some love carpet. Only my opinion.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:49 AM

Yes get rid of the carpet. It is a great selling feature to have no carpet in home. Either use the same tile or put the luxury plank vinyl in the bedrooms. I am a retired villages sales rep and believe me that would be a good move.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I would match the tile. A rug can be used in the bedroom. We tiled our master closet due to coming from the shower
Old 03-17-2020, 07:15 AM
Default Tile

I would definitely take out the carpet. We replaced the carpet in our bedrooms with a wood look tile that complements the existing tile throughout the rest of the house.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:17 AM

The tile won’t be around very long. Get it now
Closed Thread

Tags
tile, carpet, bedrooms, house, replace

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.