New House: rip out carpet in bedrooms and replace with tile that is in other areas?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2020, 08:47 AM

Love the carpeting in my bedrooms. The rest of the house is tiled. Have the option of putting tile throughout when we bought the house as the carpet was old and shaggy. Just replaced it with new carpeting. Very happy. Personally I think it’s easier to take care of than tile
Old 03-17-2020, 08:51 AM

Home we built our home we put luxury vinyl plank throughout and love it very tough and warm in the winter
Old 03-17-2020, 09:03 AM

After 10 years we're going to get rid of the carpet. Area rugs can be used to dampen sound and are easier to clean or replace. If in the future one of us has an issue that would require the use of a walking aid, mobility is much easier without carpet.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:20 AM

Totally depends on what you like. We have carpeting in all our bedrooms and living and dining rooms. Tile in baths, kitchen and walkway. It's soft, quieter and what we've always liked. If it wears out, will probably replace with upgraded carpeting. Personal preference is best.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Default Replacing the rugs in your home

YES YES YES. Rugs are crappy. We decided to "wait"-HUGE mistake. Paint, do floors, add granite-whatever you want to do while house is empty. That was our big mistake-once house has furniture, it has to be moved to do all that!
Old 03-17-2020, 09:32 AM

FYI. Tripping is the number 1 safety hazard for elderly people in their homes. A family member is a physical therapist in a large rehab center. He said the vast majority of their patients are elderly who tripped on rugs in their homes. They advise older folks to remove EVERY rug from their homes! Carpet isn't a problem as long as it is properly fastened to the sub floor. Just something to consider.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOVLMM!! View Post
Yes! Carpet absorbs oils, pollen, dirt, pet whatever, etc. Really disgusting! Tile would give it a unified look and you could put rugs over it and create a floor style based on what you like. If the tile is unavailable, try an engineered wood in the bedrooms and warm it up in the winter with rugs.
Try not to trip on the area rugs..could fracture some bones.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:59 AM

Definitely get tile. You won’t be sorry. This sandy soil will ruin your carpet quickly and you’ll never be able to really keep it clean.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:02 AM

We had our home built 2001, put berber in the master bedroom, best we could buy and top quality pad, tile in rest of house. Berber still looks brand new, professionally cleaned yearly, no pets. Do what you like, not for possible resale. You can always give the buyer a carpet credit. Enjoy it the way you like it while you live in it.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:58 AM
Veteran member

I would definitely consider future resale if you think that could happen in the next several years.

Our first house in TV had very nice engineered hardwood in the living/dining space and old carpeting elsewhere. We got a several thousand dollar credit to replace the carpeting. I wanted to put vinyl plank in the entire house. Floor guy (and hubby) talked me into keeping the hardwood because it was in good condition and would have cost $4,000 JUST TO REMOVE IT. (Large home and it was glued down.) So I found a very nice waterproof vinyl plank with a stone appearance that looked okay with the wood.

A year later I decide I want to live closer to my sister. (I know, I know ... ) We got a fair number of comments from potential buyers that they didn't like the two types of flooring. They wanted consistent flooring throughout. (Watch a few HGTV shows and it is obvious that this is what most buyers want nowadays.) Would we have sold the place more quickly if I had done what I wanted before we moved in? Who knows. But with 20/20 hindsight I wish I had replaced the hardwood when I had the chance.

I never considered replacing the old carpeting with new carpeting. I HATE CARPETING! When we bought our current house last Fall the first thing I did was have all the flooring, including bathrooms, replaced with vinyl plank. Love it!

Just my two cents.

kathy
Old 03-17-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!! She's looking for ideas from what others have done. That's what a forum is for--exchange of ideas.
Hi Pete...
Old 03-17-2020, 12:37 PM

The rugs are a dirt trapper and require more work than tile or textured laminate/wood tiles. Real wood is nice but we are in wet, humid Florida, not back home. I would replace the rugs with textured wood laminate tiles as are used in many of the newer homes. The texture reduces the noise in your home. Rugs do this also. Flat tile bounces noise more. Go to various model homes and you will see.

I like interest in my home and having light tile in the active rooms and warm textured 'Florida' wood (laminate) floor in the bedrooms should not hurt the value. If you have visitors with allergies or asthma, they will appreciate your work. Your home will smell nicer and be easier to clean.

I use would area rugs in the bedrooms as needed for comfort and warmth. Some firms will pick them up and clean them for you or you can pitch them every few years and find a sale.

Have fun with your home and enjoy.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:41 PM

Couple of thoughts. Tile is very hard, may as well be walking on concrete. Big tile complaint is keeping grout clean. Vinyl is also like walking on concrete. Floating engineered or laminate flooring is much more forgiving and nearly indestructible. You do have rug issues but have that with tile. Would definitely remove carpet.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:36 PM

I agree. Consistent flooring is a plus
Old 03-17-2020, 02:56 PM
Sage

My comment pertains to the floor beneath the bed which, in my case, is wood. I have a king size made up from two singles, I can move the box springs and mattresses whenever I want to clean beneath the bed. I move the box spring and mattresses every time I change the sheets, I clean with a vacuum and a big mop and every time I clean the floor is covered in dust. So imagine what a carpet would be like under your bed.

But, my advise to you is to do what you want to in your home.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
tile, carpet, bedrooms, house, replace

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.