New Info on Moffitt

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 02-16-2011, 10:24 AM
JimJoe's Avatar
JimJoe JimJoe is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

How would we feel if Oxford required that half of all money raised in the Relay for Life this year had to be donated to charity in Oxford?
  #47  
Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 AM
English Ivy English Ivy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Did any of you read the excellent column written in the Sun from the founder of Relay for Life a week or so ago? He threw his support behind the Moffitt Center instead of the American Cancer Society. Folks, this is a LOCAL thing that will benefit US in The Villages.
Sonny Resmondo is a Vice President of something or other for The Villages. Of course he's going to throw his support behind his employer's project.
  #48  
Old 02-16-2011, 11:56 AM
ajakk ajakk is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Follow the Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
Sonny Resmondo is a Vice President of something or other for The Villages. Of course he's going to throw his support behind his employer's project.
Sonny Resmondo is Project manager for The Villages. The other contributor supporting the developer in the Daily Sun was Evan Richards, The Villages Health System Auxiliary fundraiser chairman and VHA vice president. Do you think they felt obligated to support Moffitt/Morse???

The monies raised by Evan's auxiliary of The Villages Health System was "donated" to The Villages Health System - can anyone appreciate the irony in that?
  #49  
Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Russ_Boston's Avatar
Russ_Boston Russ_Boston is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buttonwood
Posts: 4,847
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajakk View Post
Sonny Resmondo is Project manager for The Villages. The other contributor supporting the developer in the Daily Sun was Evan Richards, The Villages Health System Auxiliary fundraiser chairman and VHA vice president. Do you think they felt obligated to support Moffitt/Morse???

The monies raised by Evan's auxiliary of The Villages Health System was "donated" to The Villages Health System - can anyone appreciate the irony in that?
Other than renting the building to CFHA how come you keep putting Morse in the picture. This is a CFHA thing with Moffitt and to my knowledge Morse (or any other family member) has no financial control of CFHA.

Am I missing something?
  #50  
Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 PM
EdV's Avatar
EdV EdV is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Village of Stonecrest
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
You have made and affirmed stunning and disturbing allegations. Could you share with us the source of the "banning all future charitable events in TV that would not benefit the Moffitt Center" assertion.

Is it in writing? A source citation or link would be appreciated.

Thank you.
In one of the responses to the allegations that TV had in fact attempted to strong arm the ACS for half the proceeds, a TV spokesperson stated that all of TVs efforts would now be focused on Moffitt.

Thats their market speak for saying that they will be controlling fund raising events until the Moffitt goal is reached.

Cant put my finger on a link just now. Anybody else remember where it appeared?
  #51  
Old 02-16-2011, 02:41 PM
same same is offline
Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This is what the American Cancer Society does according to Wikipedia. Only 14% for research. ...They are closing in on the BBB 35% limit.

From Wikipedia: The society’s allocation of funds for the fiscal year ending August 31, 2005 lists 70% of funds for Program Services (Research 14%, Prevention 20%, Patient Support 20%, Detection and Treatment 16%). The remaining 30% are allocated for supporting services (Fundraising 22%, and Management, General administration 8%) meeting the Better Business Bureau's Standards for Charity Accountability (At least 65% to program services and no more than 35% to overhead and fundraising expenses).[7]
  #52  
Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Russ_Boston's Avatar
Russ_Boston Russ_Boston is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buttonwood
Posts: 4,847
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by same View Post
This is what the American Cancer Society does according to Wikipedia. Only 14% for research. ...They are closing in on the BBB 35% limit.

From Wikipedia: The society’s allocation of funds for the fiscal year ending August 31, 2005 lists 70% of funds for Program Services (Research 14%, Prevention 20%, Patient Support 20%, Detection and Treatment 16%). The remaining 30% are allocated for supporting services (Fundraising 22%, and Management, General administration 8%) meeting the Better Business Bureau's Standards for Charity Accountability (At least 65% to program services and no more than 35% to overhead and fundraising expenses).[7]
Yes it's nice to barely be above the lowest acceptable level!

22% for fund raising shows what I've been saying in all these threads - fund raising is a dog eat dog game. I've seen it in person when doing work for the United Way. Yes, they do good with the other 70% but make no mistake about it - the people at the top don't live on PB & J sandwiches. To them it's all BUSINESS. They make their money by directing limited charity dollars to themselves.
  #53  
Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,098
Thanks: 1
Thanked 65 Times in 27 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Other than renting the building to CFHA how come you keep putting Morse in the picture. This is a CFHA thing with Moffitt and to my knowledge Morse (or any other family member) has no financial control of CFHA.

Am I missing something?
We keep Morse in the picture because Morse put himself squarely in the picture. When we were first told of the "donation" of the land and building, it wasn't being done by CFHA, the land and building came directly from the developer and was touted as such. Yes, the money received for the Moffitt Center is going into a charitable fund but there seems to be a lot of secrecy as to who is in charge of the funds, including how the distributions will ultimately go, who will be in charge of the distributions, etc. When I asked at the office in LSL, I was told it would be decided by the "committee." When I asked who was on the committee, I was told it hadn't yet been decided. Would at least one member of the Morse family be on this committee and, if so, who -- I was ushered out the door since I was obviously against a cancer center being built here and I should be ashamed of myself! HUH???

Whether we like it or not, the Morse family pretty much has its finger in every pie in TV. I sincerely doubt there is one decision made here that is not approved by someone in the family. They've worked too hard to build this community the way they want it to be (which is not saying it isn't a good thing) and that's not going to change regardless of any changes the residents want.
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #54  
Old 02-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Advogado Advogado is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 789
Thanks: 42
Thanked 257 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by same View Post
This is what the American Cancer Society does according to Wikipedia. Only 14% for research. ...They are closing in on the BBB 35% limit.

From Wikipedia: The societys allocation of funds for the fiscal year ending August 31, 2005 lists 70% of funds for Program Services (Research 14%, Prevention 20%, Patient Support 20%, Detection and Treatment 16%). The remaining 30% are allocated for supporting services (Fundraising 22%, and Management, General administration 8%) meeting the Better Business Bureau's Standards for Charity Accountability (At least 65% to program services and no more than 35% to overhead and fundraising expenses).[7]
Assuming Wikipedia's numbers are correct, what is your point? It appears that the American Cancer Society is within the BBB guidelines.

Can you give us comparable numbers for the Central Florida Health Alliance, The Villages Health System, and Villages Health System Foundation? More importantly, can you tell us what the Developer's financial stake is in the Moffitt fund-raising drive?
  #55  
Old 02-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Russ_Boston's Avatar
Russ_Boston Russ_Boston is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buttonwood
Posts: 4,847
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
We keep Morse in the picture because Morse put himself squarely in the picture. When we were first told of the "donation" of the land and building, it wasn't being done by CFHA, the land and building came directly from the developer and was touted as such. Yes, the money received for the Moffitt Center is going into a charitable fund but there seems to be a lot of secrecy as to who is in charge of the funds, including how the distributions will ultimately go, who will be in charge of the distributions, etc. When I asked at the office in LSL, I was told it would be decided by the "committee." When I asked who was on the committee, I was told it hadn't yet been decided. Would at least one member of the Morse family be on this committee and, if so, who -- I was ushered out the door since I was obviously against a cancer center being built here and I should be ashamed of myself! HUH???

Whether we like it or not, the Morse family pretty much has its finger in every pie in TV. I sincerely doubt there is one decision made here that is not approved by someone in the family. They've worked too hard to build this community the way they want it to be (which is not saying it isn't a good thing) and that's not going to change regardless of any changes the residents want.
Yes I understand that but, correct me if I'm wrong, the equipment to be purchased will be property of CFHA. Yes? And if so how would Morse, other than renting the property, receive any direct financial benefit? Of course there is indirect financial benefit promoting TV etc but that is why any business gets recruited to TV.
  #56  
Old 02-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Russ_Boston's Avatar
Russ_Boston Russ_Boston is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buttonwood
Posts: 4,847
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Assuming Wikipedia's numbers are correct, what is your point? It appears that the American Cancer Society is within the BBB guidelines.

Can you give us comparable numbers for the Central Florida Health Alliance, The Villages Health System, and Villages Health System Foundation? More importantly, can you tell us what the Developer's financial stake is in the Moffitt fund-raising drive?
My point is that 20% for fund raising is high. http://www.charitynavigator.org/ For example: The Central Florida United way is 6.5% for fund raising with 86% to services. Susan G. Komen for the Cure (Breast Cancer) is 6% and 84%. I will guarantee you that CFHA, since their business in medicine not fund raising, will be nowhere near that number either but they are not a charity so they are not listed.

And I can't tell you what the Developer's stake is other than renting the building (and that amount must be small in the whole scheme of their commercial entities). And so far not one other person including Ritchie has indicated what the money connection might be. I'd like that answer as well but my guess is that Morse's connection is indirect money by making TV more attractive etc. The amount to be raised (6m?) is small change to Morse.

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 02-16-2011 at 04:08 PM.
  #57  
Old 02-16-2011, 04:12 PM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,098
Thanks: 1
Thanked 65 Times in 27 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

Russ, I honestly have no clue how much money the Morses will ultimately make from this deal. That they will make money is a given. They are good businessmen and it would be dumb to not make money out of this deal. That they would lie to and basically bully TVers to get the necessary funding is the issue.

I always thought that TV-Moffitt was, has been and is more of an ego thing -- why should Leesburg get a Moffitt Center and not TV? Yes, it will be great advertising to say that a major cancer center has an affiliate on TV grounds, but I honestly think that is but a small part of it. I think it is the status and I'd be seriously surprised if TV-Moffitt wasn't up and running before Leesburg-Moffitt.

The Morses will make a nice profit on the lease of the "donated" property. I'm sure that if we dig deep enough, we can find a direct connection between CFHA and the Morses, but why bother? They more than have a right to be affiliated with CFHA, both the CFHA Company and CFHA, Inc. -- they are an integral part TV's hospital and, thus, CFHA. Their making a profit is not the issue (at least not to me). It's the lying, the greed, the arrogance.
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #58  
Old 02-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Russ_Boston's Avatar
Russ_Boston Russ_Boston is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buttonwood
Posts: 4,847
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Their making a profit is not the issue (at least not to me). It's the lying, the greed, the arrogance.
Agreed - but people keep insinuating that there must be some $$ deal between Moffitt, CFHA and Morse. Can't believe that the small sq. footage to be leased is a very high percentage of the overall lease space TV has. My point is that it is ALL business. On the part of CFHA, Moffitt, Morse, the other radiation center and even the American Cancer Society (when it comes to Relay money). They all want a piece of the pie.

But yes I don't like being lied to either. But I think the only provable lie so far has been the comment about donating the new building. Have there been others? (and please post a direct link to show the rest of us, don't just say it.)

I'm trying to be open minded about this without picking any side. But for the most part I just keep seeing innuendos. Neither Ritchie or the POA article had any real answers. Yes, sometimes where there is smoke there is fire but I'll look for final answers not just more questions. To make accusations like I've been reading I'll need real proof.
  #59  
Old 02-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Tbugs Tbugs is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Village of Glenbrook in The Villages
Posts: 890
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey folks,

Instead of griping about money that the Morse family is going to earn from this venture - celebrate that you will have a top-notch cancer facility LOCALLY.

You are not going to have to drive to Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Gainesville, or even Leesburg. It is going to be local.

There is always the possibility that the Morse family will get tired of the griping and accusations and pull the plug on the whole deal. Would you celebrate that as a victory? I wouldn't.
  #60  
Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 PM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,098
Thanks: 1
Thanked 65 Times in 27 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

Tbugs, yes, I would celebrate it as a victory if Moffitt Center was pulled from TV, at least if we can't get straight answers and we're left with feeling that the entire thing is built on lies. Leesburg will have one and would actually be closer to those in the southern part of TV than TV-Moffitt would be. We're not talking of having to drive to Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Gainesville or any great distance. We're talking Leesburg! Sorry, I do consider that local even though not golf cart accessible (and, having gone through chemo, the last thing I want to do is take a drive in a golf cart after treatment).
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.