Newell AED Program- Different View

Old 03-17-2024, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgInLakeDenham View Post
Thank you to everyone responding to my post. Great to hear some "facts" and honest input on the program. Great that its connected to TV EMS. Mad respect for EMS! I wonder what the OP has to say after all these posts?

I need to add how important prompt, effective, CPR is to a chance at saving life. Circulating blood and oxygen means a lot more than... "No Shock Advised" stated by an AED. Don't think an AED, by itself, will provide a chance at life with a functioning brain. I again say that CPR should be your first thought to save a pulseless life. I again urge everyone to be competent in CPR, AED, and Heimlich for choking. If it happens to you or someone around you, you're best bet is having trained people around you. Having people afraid to initiate CPR due to lack of training and waiting for EMS is not conducive to positive outcomes...aka survival...in the Emergency Department when your body arrives. The reality is that the resuscitation chain has to be perfectly initiated to get about a 12% survival rate, outside the hospital. Fast to start and effective CPR gives the most chance.

I'm beginning to see that there is a huge reliance on these trained neighbors in the existing Villages with AED groups. If I'm drunk at the Square.... I'm not oncall. Eight minutes for EMS to arrive? SMH... Better know CPR yourselves because paying $100 every few years doesn't substitute for knowledge of how to be able help yourself. Again I'm realistic....harsh reality...but real.
The AED training stresses CPR first and then send the second person to get the AED.

Garden City, Long Island, NY
West Islip, Long Island, NY
Village of Citrus Grove (2021)
Village of Newell (2023)
Old 03-17-2024, 07:45 AM

In our Village, we had a group of eight who spearheaded the AED project. We queried residents to see if a majority would like AEDs, invited the TVFD to give a presentation to our community, held a question/answer session, and began receiving donations. We have eight AEDs strategically placed throughout our small Village of 471 residents and over 40+ trained responders. Since its inception, we have had two critical incidents. In each case, CPR was performed and no AEDs were used due to the quick response of TVFD. Based on our training and quick response of our trained volunteers, we prolonged one life.

Since your Village is remote, your closest FD is on Morse BLVD across from Chitty Chatty. Your villages would greatly benefit from having an AED program in place with trained responders. Not sure if you are in Sumter County or Lake County, but in Sumter County, they now have a AED program in place. If a Village has an established AED program, at the end of the AEDs lifespan (typically four years), Sumter County will pay to replace that AED if it meets certain criteria.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Just curious…. Where is the closest fire/rescue station to the area of Newell, Dabney & Lake Denham?

I’ve heard Don (GoldWingNut) mention on his videos about the TV’s goal of having a station within 2 miles (I believe) of every home.
Newell is 9 minutes away - if there is no other call. Lake Denham and Dabney more. The planned fire houses are FURTHER away.

Village of Newell (2023)
Old 03-17-2024, 07:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
The AED training stresses CPR first and then send the second person to get the AED.
Exactly. One complements the other. The moral of this story errr thread is to get certified. It doesn’t take that long to obtain and most importantly pay attention in the classes. FL like many states, I believe has the Good Samaritan Law in effect so you have an obligation to perform and protections as well if you do
Old 03-17-2024, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
In the group of courtyard villas where I live, there are at least two AEDs, and perhaps another one I don’t know about. One is a hundred feet from my door. But I don’t know who has the key. I don’t know who to call. I don’t know if the person I called actually knows how to determine if my heart is beating. The person might be shopping or playing golf or on the phone. I live alone, and my doors are locked. If my heart stops, I’m not able to call anyone. If I have a heart attack but my heart is still beating, will I be able to call 911 and open the door?

Most people don’t realize that even if an AED is used within a couple minutes, there is a high likelihood that there will be temporary or permanent mental impairment, even if the heart stops in a hospital. I think most people don’t know that there is very little chance that even if I had a spouse who knew who to call and the person was home, that the person could reach me in under five minutes, and it would probably be longer. In that case, I am almost sure to suffer brain damage. Where these AEDs are most useful is in places like restaurants, stores, and sporting events. I think having them in neighborhoods is mostly the manufacturers trying to make money.
Call 911. They alert an app your trained neighbors have.

Village of Newell (2023)
Old 03-17-2024, 07:54 AM

We are in Hawkins and gladly donated to the program. Most of the retired nurses I know here are on the emergency response team in the neighborhood. Most likely they will get to your door two minutes before the EMTs arrive. If they save one life over the years, that will be the best $100 I ever spent. Most women spend that much on their nails in a month. Nails or saving a life? No brainer for me.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired55 View Post
This is a different view on an AED program that a group on Facebook is implementing, for the Village of Newell. It is a view no one on Facebook in the Group will comment on for fear of being outcast or attacked. That’s why its being posted here. This is not meant to attack the organizers or anyone who supports or has donated to the program. The organizer has mentioned to the group that some people where opposed to the Program but they do not understand why.

The group wants to install 25 AED devices throughout the Village, and is asking $100 per household.

First, the AED devises are a great Lifesaving tool and I think they are wonderful as I am also certified to operate one. But the program itself is not the issue.

Simply said, a Facebook group should not be making decisions for the entire Village, no matter how good or well meaning the project is. It is just a Facebook group; no one voted anyone in for this. It has created a situation where you are making people uncomfortable and pitting one side against another. This should not happen. The group is aggressively collecting money by going door to door, setting up tables at the mail and rec centers and other ways. Some people do not appreciate that and shouldn't have to explain why they do not want to contribute.

The Village of Newell is a beautiful community, with friendly neighbors who look out for each other and enjoy each others company. While this program is very thoughtful and well meaning, please understand that there may be some neighbors who do not agree, for their own reasons.

I'm sure money can be an issue with some people, and they shouldn’t have to explain that to anyone, or be made uncomfortable because of it.

There are lots of questions about the program itself but that is for a different conversation and is not really relevant to this view.

Please, this is just a different view not an argument.

I am curios what others in the Villages have to say on the issue.

Retired
I say LET THE MORSE FAMILY foot the bill. You don't build the biggest senior community in the world and not include these life saving gadgets!
Old 03-17-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsondm View Post
25 AEDs? What a deal. Linden Isle has 2, supported by a $60 donation. How many AEDs per person did they plan for?
Who ever decided to run your project is an autocrat/poor communicator, forcing their priorities on you. You have a right to make noise.

If you don’t donate, do they withhold services to you? Is this a one time donation? These devices need maintenance. If they didn’t tell me what we are purchasing and how the program will be run, I would hesitate to donate. Needs better organization and leadership.
We do not deny service to anyone - in fact, the Lifestyle homes are in Newell. Theee is no sticker on the window. Unless the home denies us access we will assist. The budget is for 5 years. Our hope is fundraising will keep up with expenses after that.

Village of Newell (2023)
Old 03-17-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsondm View Post
25 AEDs? What a deal. Linden Isle has 2, supported by a $60 donation. How many AEDs per person did they plan for?
Who ever decided to run your project is an autocrat/poor communicator, forcing their priorities on you. You have a right to make noise.

If you don’t donate, do they withhold services to you? Is this a one time donation? These devices need maintenance. If they didn’t tell me what we are purchasing and how the program will be run, I would hesitate to donate. Needs better organization and leadership.
As to the organization, we have supplied meetings, mailed fliers and you see from OP posted on FB so often they posted on TOTV.

Village of Newell (2023)
Old 03-17-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
Wow. This thread caused me to look into some review. Found much better than a review here. Shockable Rhythms | ACLS.com

Been a while since my last CPR course. Are they still just recommending compressions at a rapid rate without intervening "breaths"? Never mind. Shamed myself into googling it. Are Rescue Breaths Necessary During CPR? - HSI So, 15 and 2 still the ratio and one-one thousand, two-one thousand still the rate? TIA
Training did say no breaths.

Village of Newell (2023)
Old 03-17-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyb View Post
There is no way they need 25 AED units, 90% of the time the responders will be doing CPR.
The Villages determines how many and where. We are over 9 minutes from our fire house.

Village of Newell (2023)
Old 03-17-2024, 08:20 AM
Default Breathless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
Training did say no breaths.
Fascinating! I do now recall that some of the logic was that two inches of "compression" yields a "rebound" of the chest cavity that would act as a sort of "vacuum" or "negative pressure" that would suck some air in. Enough, I guess, eh?
Old 03-17-2024, 08:38 AM
Default More questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
Fascinating! I do now recall that some of the logic was that two inches of "compression" yields a "rebound" of the chest cavity that would act as a sort of "vacuum" or "negative pressure" that would suck some air in. Enough, I guess, eh?

More googlage:

Using An AED - FAQ'''s

"How much of the victim's clothing should be removed to carry out defibrillation?

The victim’s chest should be exposed to allow correct placement of the electrode pads. For women this usually means the bra must be removed. Clothes may need to be cut off."

Has that been part of the training? Just watched a Doc Martin episode where the lady's bra was left on for the AED shock. Wondered about that. . .

"Is it okay to place the electrode pads directly on a hairy chest?

Electrode pads are required to make direct skin contact in order for successful defibrillation to occur. In an emergency situation where the chest hair is so excessive as to prevent good adhesion of the electrode pad, the hair must be removed quickly."

Hmmm. . .

I wonder how many folks are prepared to do either, especially when I've heard little in this thread related to decision making even to the level of checking for airway, breathing, and circulation. I sorta kinda know a lot of this stuff, but I'm not at all sure that I could perform properly in all the various possible scenarios. I think I could get the compressions going and keep it up until the Fire Department arrives with *their* AED and the other "right stuff". Pulling an old lady's bra off in public? I don't know. . .
Old 03-17-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired55 View Post
This is a different view on an AED program that a group on Facebook is implementing, for the Village of Newell. It is a view no one on Facebook in the Group will comment on for fear of being outcast or attacked. That’s why its being posted here. This is not meant to attack the organizers or anyone who supports or has donated to the program. The organizer has mentioned to the group that some people where opposed to the Program but they do not understand why.

The group wants to install 25 AED devices throughout the Village, and is asking $100 per household.

First, the AED devises are a great Lifesaving tool and I think they are wonderful as I am also certified to operate one. But the program itself is not the issue.

Simply said, a Facebook group should not be making decisions for the entire Village, no matter how good or well meaning the project is. It is just a Facebook group; no one voted anyone in for this. It has created a situation where you are making people uncomfortable and pitting one side against another. This should not happen. The group is aggressively collecting money by going door to door, setting up tables at the mail and rec centers and other ways. Some people do not appreciate that and shouldn't have to explain why they do not want to contribute.

The Village of Newell is a beautiful community, with friendly neighbors who look out for each other and enjoy each others company. While this program is very thoughtful and well meaning, please understand that there may be some neighbors who do not agree, for their own reasons.

I'm sure money can be an issue with some people, and they shouldn’t have to explain that to anyone, or be made uncomfortable because of it.

There are lots of questions about the program itself but that is for a different conversation and is not really relevant to this view.

Please, this is just a different view not an argument.

I am curios what others in the Villages have to say on the issue.

Retired
Well stated and I agree!
Old 03-17-2024, 09:02 AM

Facebook, like it or not, is widely used in The Villages for communication purposes. I have a friend who had avoided it all her life finally succumb to it at age 67 because groups she participates in uses it. Sounds like the group organizing your AED program is using it as a tool for communication but also using other methods of communication. Kudos to anyone trying to get an AED program initiated and first one to do so therefor has control. I'm pretty sure they have to go through the fire department to set up a functioning alert system and will take guidance from them. Who would be against an AED program in their village?

Tags
group, program, view, people, aed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.