To be or not to be-TV Antennas installed outside

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 PM
Chellybean Chellybean is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 461
Thanks: 116
Thanked 109 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I don't think anyone is debating this point. I also don't think anyone is debating whether you can install a sat dish or antenna - you can. I think people are talking past each other.
maybe your right, but we all paid dearly to live here at a inflated price and i clearly understand the deed restrictions especially as a builder from the north.
It seems people think that unlawful restrictions are enforceable and they are clearly not!
I didn't move here to be bullied or controlled beyond the law, this is all i am saying and some people have lost there vision of where they are.
also the powers to be can't protect your home prices and the economy takes care of that.
However we are in a better area of the country then most places.
Just a caveat of an example; gates don't keep criminals out if anyone can push the button and come in, this is why we have so many break-in's.
The law is what protects us from these thugs.
  #92  
Old 04-14-2015, 08:57 PM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

A better story took place when I was the HOA president of a community in Las Vegas. Someone installed a dish on the side of their home. Some residents sent the HOA asking that a rule be passed banning dishes. I attempted to explain to the other members of the board why we could not regulate dishes, among other things. The board decided to create a rule over my objections, so I resigned before the final vote was taken. I contacted the HOA attorney and explained what had transpired. He then wrote a letter to the board explaining that they were violating federal law. In the last paragraph of his letter to the board, he resigned as the attorney for the HOA
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #93  
Old 04-15-2015, 06:34 AM
Chellybean Chellybean is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 461
Thanks: 116
Thanked 109 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
A better story took place when I was the HOA president of a community in Las Vegas. Someone installed a dish on the side of their home. Some residents sent the HOA asking that a rule be passed banning dishes. I attempted to explain to the other members of the board why we could not regulate dishes, among other things. The board decided to create a rule over my objections, so I resigned before the final vote was taken. I contacted the HOA attorney and explained what had transpired. He then wrote a letter to the board explaining that they were violating federal law. In the last paragraph of his letter to the board, he resigned as the attorney for the HOA
Thank you for bring this to light maybe people will get the point and understand what deed restrictions are.
Bravo to you for having the moral fiber and integrity to stand clear for the Law and not a dictatorship.
  #94  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:12 AM
rjcataniajr rjcataniajr is offline
Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 36
Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to rjcataniajr
Default

Hey Chellybean/Jim, some people just can't figure out anything unless its spoon fed to them.
  #95  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:14 AM
tuccillo tuccillo is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,674
Thanks: 0
Thanked 105 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Agreed. It is always worthwhile to read the documents that we signed upon buying here. The generic example I like to use regarding deed restrictions is that you cannot put a car up on blocks in your front yard. There is nothing unlawful about that restriction and if you persist there will be consequences. I have lived in two deed restricted communities (including The Villages) and I have never seen a restriction that gives me heartburn. For example, I am pretty sure I am not going to start drilling for oil on my property. The sat dish and antenna issue was put to rest quite some time ago by the FCC. If you do encounter a deed restriction that you believe runs counter to state or federal law, it should be straight forward to consult an attorney.

Regarding our gates, I believe their primary purpose is to regulate the flow of traffic at each Village entrance to prevent golf cart and car collisions. I don't think anyone believes they are a credible deterrent to crime. The best deterrent to crime is the vigilance of you and your neighbors, along with the Smith and Wesson Security Company ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
maybe your right, but we all paid dearly to live here at a inflated price and i clearly understand the deed restrictions especially as a builder from the north.
It seems people think that unlawful restrictions are enforceable and they are clearly not!
I didn't move here to be bullied or controlled beyond the law, this is all i am saying and some people have lost there vision of where they are.
also the powers to be can't protect your home prices and the economy takes care of that.
However we are in a better area of the country then most places.
Just a caveat of an example; gates don't keep criminals out if anyone can push the button and come in, this is why we have so many break-in's.
The law is what protects us from these thugs.
  #96  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:27 AM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Agreed. It is always worthwhile to read the documents that we signed upon buying here. The generic example I like to use regarding deed restrictions is that you cannot put a car up on blocks in your front yard. There is nothing unlawful about that restriction and if you persist there will be consequences. I have lived in two deed restricted communities (including The Villages) and I have never seen a restriction that gives me heartburn. For example, I am pretty sure I am not going to start drilling for oil on my property. The sat dish and antenna issue was put to rest quite some time ago by the FCC. If you do encounter a deed restriction that you believe runs counter to state or federal law, it should be straight forward to consult an attorney.

Regarding our gates, I believe their primary purpose is to regulate the flow of traffic at each Village entrance to prevent golf cart and car collisions. I don't think anyone believes they are a credible deterrent to crime. The best deterrent to crime is the vigilance of you and your neighbors, along with the Smith and Wesson Security Company ;-)
Quite correct about the gates. We are not a gated community, but a community with gates. By the way, I believe there is also a law in FL that prohibits deed restrictions from interfering with the placement and use of outside clothe lines. Go figure.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #97  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:29 AM
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,375
Thanks: 4,172
Thanked 4,653 Times in 1,591 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcataniajr View Post
Hey Chellybean/Jim, some people just can't figure out anything unless its spoon fed to them.
And for some reason, there are chameleons that are one thing one day and another the next.

I love debate, but I dislike those who just stir the pot.

Good post Tuccillo. You are always so logical and fair and clear in your posts.

BUT...I know where the boys are that were always looking to circumvent the rules and defy authority who used to go to the school where I was a student.

Some of them or those very similar to them have moved here to The Villages.

I like rule keepers and those motivated by respect for others. Thank goodness they are the majority here.

I like deed restrictions. A lot. AND rule followers. And I would not defy the FCC. Apparently there are those who want antennas.

They have the right. But no right to a flock of plastic pink flamingos south of 466. They will "get" you.
  #98  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 AM
tuccillo tuccillo is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,674
Thanks: 0
Thanked 105 Times in 56 Posts
Default

That is a very interesting story - thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
A better story took place when I was the HOA president of a community in Las Vegas. Someone installed a dish on the side of their home. Some residents sent the HOA asking that a rule be passed banning dishes. I attempted to explain to the other members of the board why we could not regulate dishes, among other things. The board decided to create a rule over my objections, so I resigned before the final vote was taken. I contacted the HOA attorney and explained what had transpired. He then wrote a letter to the board explaining that they were violating federal law. In the last paragraph of his letter to the board, he resigned as the attorney for the HOA
  #99  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:35 AM
tuccillo tuccillo is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,674
Thanks: 0
Thanked 105 Times in 56 Posts
Default

I have lived in a gated community. We still had crime as people could jump the fences. In gated communities, you also "own" the roads so you directly bear the cost for road repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Quite correct about the gates. We are not a gated community, but a community with gates. By the way, I believe there is also a law in FL that prohibits deed restrictions from interfering with the placement and use of outside clothe lines. Go figure.
  #100  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 AM
Chellybean Chellybean is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 461
Thanks: 116
Thanked 109 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Agreed. It is always worthwhile to read the documents that we signed upon buying here. The generic example I like to use regarding deed restrictions is that you cannot put a car up on blocks in your front yard. There is nothing unlawful about that restriction and if you persist there will be consequences. I have lived in two deed restricted communities (including The Villages) and I have never seen a restriction that gives me heartburn. For example, I am pretty sure I am not going to start drilling for oil on my property. The sat dish and antenna issue was put to rest quite some time ago by the FCC. If you do encounter a deed restriction that you believe runs counter to state or federal law, it should be straight forward to consult an attorney.

Regarding our gates, I believe their primary purpose is to regulate the flow of traffic at each Village entrance to prevent golf cart and car collisions. I don't think anyone believes they are a credible deterrent to crime. The best deterrent to crime is the vigilance of you and your neighbors, along with the Smith and Wesson Security Company ;-)
I also agree but due to the key cards the powers to be seem to give a false sense of security of a gated community, most gated community's don't allow push button access though, which troubles me, you have to contact the friend your visiting to let you in and due to the high traffic here that is not practical.
Also when i was building my home at a design meeting i was told don't worry about a pre wired alarm system we rarely have any break-in's here. Well 11 break-in's in 3 months are certainly not rarely, with-in a mile of my home.
I insisted that i wanted pre wired windows and doors and gave them my design and it was a nightmare for it to get done properly to the point that the designer had to shutdown the job and i almost had to fly down to correct everything. After everything was completed the designer apologized and 148 item check list was given for repairs. Unfortunately they where building at to fast of a rate, about 350 a month and a lot of detail was missed.
For the most part everything was repaired with painful effort to get it done, everyone seem to play the blame game among contractors, nothing i am not used to being a retired builder.
I was told that pre wired alarms will no longer be done due to there are to many problems that come with that, and only wireless alarms will be installed after the house is close, which i am not a fan of wireless system due to interference, which i also have a electrical mechanical engineering background and i won't elaborate on that.
Point being read what you sign and don't believe everything your told, do your own research folks, have a good day.
  #101  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Chellybean Chellybean is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 461
Thanks: 116
Thanked 109 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I have lived in a gated community. We still had crime as people could jump the fences. In gated communities, you also "own" the roads so you directly bear the cost for road repairs.
yes, but we paid the bond which is for the infer-structure and are amenities are for repairs and up keeps for the area.
So indirectly we are paying for it.
  #102  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:51 AM
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,375
Thanks: 4,172
Thanked 4,653 Times in 1,591 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
yes, but we paid the bond which is for the infer-structure and are amenities are for repairs and up keeps for the area.
So indirectly we are paying for it.
I think the subject just got changed. Isn't this the antenna/deed restrictions thread?
  #103  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Chellybean Chellybean is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 461
Thanks: 116
Thanked 109 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
And for some reason, there are chameleons that are one thing one day and another the next.

I love debate, but I dislike those who just stir the pot.

Good post Tuccillo. You are always so logical and fair and clear in your posts.

BUT...I know where the boys are that were always looking to circumvent the rules and defy authority who used to go to the school where I was a student.

Some of them or those very similar to them have moved here to The Villages.

I like rule keepers and those motivated by respect for others. Thank goodness they are the majority here.

I like deed restrictions. A lot. AND rule followers. And I would not defy the FCC. Apparently there are those who want antennas.

They have the right. But no right to a flock of plastic pink flamingos south of 466. They will "get" you.
well i was wonder what took you so long to chime in, l.o.l.
I hope you don't think i am a pot stirrer, i like rules and laws too, just not the unlawful ones, and i also like good debates.
  #104  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 AM
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,375
Thanks: 4,172
Thanked 4,653 Times in 1,591 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
I also agree but due to the key cards the powers to be seem to give a false sense of security of a gated community, most gated community's don't allow push button access though, which troubles me, you have to contact the friend your visiting to let you in and due to the high traffic here that is not practical.
Also when i was building my home at a design meeting i was told don't worry about a pre wired alarm system we rarely have any break-in's here. Well 11 break-in's in 3 months are certainly not rarely, with-in a mile of my home.
I insisted that i wanted pre wired windows and doors and gave them my design and it was a nightmare for it to get done properly to the point that the designer had to shutdown the job and i almost had to fly down to correct everything. After everything was completed the designer apologized and 148 item check list was given for repairs. Unfortunately they where building at to fast of a rate, about 350 a month and a lot of detail was missed.
For the most part everything was repaired with painful effort to get it done, everyone seem to play the blame game among contractors, nothing i am not used to being a retired builder.
I was told that pre wired alarms will no longer be done due to there are to many problems that come with that, and only wireless alarms will be installed after the house is close, which i am not a fan of wireless system due to interference, which i also have a electrical mechanical engineering background and i won't elaborate on that.
Point being read what you sign and don't believe everything your told, do your own research folks, have a good day.

The roads belong to the county.

Read what you sign, and then follow the rules.

We had NO problem at all with either the new home that was already built or the one they built for us. It is their rules. There are certain things they would do, and would not do. We have built several homes and this was the best, and the easiest here in The Villages..
  #105  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:58 AM
Chellybean Chellybean is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 461
Thanks: 116
Thanked 109 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
And for some reason, there are chameleons that are one thing one day and another the next.

I love debate, but I dislike those who just stir the pot.

Good post Tuccillo. You are always so logical and fair and clear in your posts.

BUT...I know where the boys are that were always looking to circumvent the rules and defy authority who used to go to the school where I was a student.

Some of them or those very similar to them have moved here to The Villages.

I like rule keepers and those motivated by respect for others. Thank goodness they are the majority here.

I like deed restrictions. A lot. AND rule followers. And I would not defy the FCC. Apparently there are those who want antennas.

They have the right. But no right to a flock of plastic pink flamingos south of 466. They will "get" you.
p.s. Gracie i hope you don't like a flock of plastic pink flamingos, not mine and my wife's taste, i think that is punishable by the historical communities on public decor, you can get up to ten years in prision l.o.l.
Sorry Gracie i just couldn't resist, only a little poking fun.
Love your spunk
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.