Outdoor Yard Lights...Rude, Rude, Rude!!

Old 01-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Angry Outdoor Yard Lights...Rude, Rude, Rude!!

We have friends who live in the Anita Villas in Bonita. The neighbor(s) behind them (designer houses on a cul-de-sac on Longbow Tr) recently installed large, bright, obnoxious, outdoor yard lights on the back of their houses that shine ALL night directly into the livingroom and master bedroom of our friend's villa. Even though our friends had been telling us about this intrusion for a couple of weeks now, not until we were over there last night for a party did we see the reality of the situation!! It was AWFUL!! You couldn't look out through their lanai because of these 2 LARGE, BRIGHT lights shining in your eyes. Their master bedroom is lit up like daytime ALL night long!! How RUDE & THOUGHTLESS could someone be to install a bright outdoor yard light on their house and then leave it on ALL night shining into someone else's home??????

I can maybe understand an outdoor light to BBQ by in the winter when it gets dark early, but when you are done cooking, you turn the light OFF but I can see NO reason, whatsoever, that anyone living in The Villages should need a backyard light mounted on their house. Am I missing something here??? This is just totally uncalled for in this type of community. Under no circumstances, that I can think of, should lights like these be allowed. You can't have any ornamentation in your front yard, but you CAN install a light like this and leave it on????

Our friends are quite good-hearted and new here and don't want to OFFEND anyone so they won't go to these people and "discuss" this situation. We went there last night after leaving their villa, but the rude people weren't home.

Does anyone know if there are any covenants against this sort of thing and/or who would our friends call to complain?

Old 01-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Platinum member
Default EZ Does It

May I suggest that you allow your friends to handle the situation. It's quite possible that the property owner isn't aware. You may be jumping to conclusions. I'm sure there's a simple solution.

Also it's Sumter County code to have an outside light mounted within 4' of the back door. At least that's what we were told last year when we had the lanai enclosed. The light comes on automatically and is tripped by a motion detector. I can only adjust the length of time the two 75 watt flood lights stay on at the fixture. And when it comes on the Space Shuttle can see TV.

Happy New Year

Last edited by F16 1UB; 01-01-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16 1UB View Post

May I suggest that you allow your friends to handle the situation. It's quite possible that the property owner isn't aware. You may be jumping to conclusions. I'm sure there's a simple solution.

Also it's Sumter County code to have an outside light mounted within 4' of the back door. At least that's what we were told last year when we had the lanai enclosed. The light comes on automatically and is tripped by a motion detector. I can only adjust the length of time the two 75 watt flood lights stay on at the fixture. And when it comes on the Space Shuttle can see TV.

Happy New Year
Dear F16 1UB:

May I be so bold as to suggest that "A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed" !! YOU have jumped to conclusions here...my friend is ill (I didn't see the need to mention this before) and not able to "handle the situation". I could go to these lit up houses myself, but you're right...it's not really my business...so I won't.

I only wanted to say, in my original post, that people need to be cognizant of their actions and how it can affect someone else. THINK before you do something as to what impact it could have on others.

I do, however, stand by my original statement that I can see NO reason, whatsoever, for anyone living in TV to have a motion sensor or any type of bright yard light. We do not have 10 acre lots, we do not live in the country, and we do not have a lot of crime. Could you maybe explain why you feel the need to have this kind of light? If it was Sumter County "code" as you say...then EVERY house here would have this type of light. I don't believe it is "code".

Old 01-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Veteran member

Here is what my deed restriction says,

2.18 Except as provided above, exterior lighting must be attached to the Home and shaded so as not to create a nuisance to others. No other light poles may be erected.

That seems clear to me.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Sage

I cannot get to the deed restrictions on the district web site to check at the moment (pages are not available), but I 'swear' there is a line about outdoor lights and making sure you do not adversely affect your neighbors.... so even if folks do not do the 'right thing' there may be a way to persuade them.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Platinum member

I said Sumter County code made it mandatory for an outside light "when we had the lanai enclosed." Obviously not everyone had enclosed lanais.

Sorry your friend is ill. Possibly more reason for their neighbor to be more understanding of the unknown to them "problem." How about contacting neighborhood watch? I'm sure they may have an idea on how to deal with these rude people that you've never met.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
We went there last night after leaving their villa, but the rude people weren't home.

Does anyone know if there are any covenants against this sort of thing and/or who would our friends call to complain?
Ballsy move on your part and totally out of line. Did you ever think that perhaps the people in the offending house had to an emergency of sorts or something and that may be why they weren't home. You're coming down pretty had on someone without any knowledge of who they are or what is or isn't going on in their lives. Not well or not, your friend should, if they want to, be able to handle their own problems. Did they ask for your help?

Old 01-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post

I do, however, stand by my original statement that I can see NO reason, whatsoever, for anyone living in TV to have a motion sensor or any type of bright yard light. We do not have 10 acre lots, we do not live in the country, and we do not have a lot of crime. Could you maybe explain why you feel the need to have this kind of light? If it was Sumter County "code" as you say...then EVERY house here would have this type of light. I don't believe it is "code".
A number of homes have been broken into. Motion sensor lights are a deterrent. I have them as do my neighbors. They are not aimed to illuminate neighbors' houses. They are aimed to illuminate my backyard close to the house.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I cannot get to the deed restrictions on the district web site to check at the moment (pages are not available), but I 'swear' there is a line about outdoor lights and making sure you do not adversely affect your neighbors.... so even if folks do not do the 'right thing' there may be a way to persuade them.
We have wondered why there need to be any outside lights on.
We keep a CFL on the signpost, but everything else goes out.

It's a waste of energy especially in a place where boogeymen seem to be a non issue.
We have some CFL floods on the back wall that we might use for volleyball one summer or to see if there are any gators on the lawn before we step out.

Just wondering why people light up yards and even more why people aim lights at their homes.

L&L

Old 01-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Veteran member

Why doesn't someone just knock on the offending neighbor's door and explain the situation? I cannot believe that there isn't an accommodation that could be made that would satisfy all parties. At the least, by contacting the neighbor, one is giving them the opportunity to recognize the existance of a problem. If after advising them it does not resolve the issue, then hit them over the head with a bat.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Default Homes broken into??

I didn't realize breaking and entering is a problem in The Villages. How many homes are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
A number of homes have been broken into. Motion sensor lights are a deterrent. I have them as do my neighbors. They are not aimed to illuminate neighbors' houses. They are aimed to illuminate my backyard close to the house.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Question

Just a quick question after reading this thread....when you say ""several homes broken into.....what exactly is the crime rate in The Villages? has it been more than usual? Our future plans include moving to The Villages but this is the first time we have seen crime and need for outdoor lights...is this is all areas of The Villages? any information and insight here would be appreciated. thanks,

Old 01-01-2010, 02:45 PM

I have to agree with k2at that a friendly overture can readily resolve this issue. All these lights are adjustable both in spread of light and timing. Why not invite the neighbors over for a glass of wine or a cup of coffee after dark so they can see for themselves how annoying this issue is. I can't imagine anyone who has lived in close proximity to others wouldn't be willing to make a necessary adjustment. There's no need at this point to call in the National Guard.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
Why doesn't someone just knock on the offending neighbor's door and explain the situation? I cannot believe that there isn't an accommodation that could be made that would satisfy all parties. At the least, by contacting the neighbor, one is giving them the opportunity to recognize the existance of a problem. If after advising them it does not resolve the issue, then hit them over the head with a bat.
Well put K2at. In my experience almost all neigborhood issues can be resolved with a simple conversation. Usually the offender isn't even aware that there's a problem.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlutz View Post
Just a quick question after reading this thread....when you say ""several homes broken into.....what exactly is the crime rate in The Villages? has it been more than usual? Our future plans include moving to The Villages but this is the first time we have seen crime and need for outdoor lights...is this is all areas of The Villages? any information and insight here would be appreciated. thanks,
Over a year or so ago there we some empty homes in the newer section of Sumter County that were broken in to. For the most part they were off golf courses or preserves. There was talk about someone on golf carts doing the deed, perhaps adult children of residents. Soon after that was published everything came to a screeching halt as far as I know. Haven't heard anything more. Even though we live up here in Gods Country, Marion County, and I haven't heard anything of that nature up here, I installed a solar motion sensor light in the back of the house mostly for our benefit and use.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.