Outdoor Yard Lights...Rude, Rude, Rude!!

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlutz View Post
Just a quick question after reading this thread....when you say ""several homes broken into.....what exactly is the crime rate in The Villages? has it been more than usual? Our future plans include moving to The Villages but this is the first time we have seen crime and need for outdoor lights...is this is all areas of The Villages? any information and insight here would be appreciated. thanks,
I heard about a few last year..... oh wait last year was yesterday , I mean last winter. Not alot but a few. I have not heard of many this year.

The biggest crime I have been witness to is driving a golf cart at .09 blood alcohol level. Toungue is WAY in cheek ......
Old 01-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Julie

My motto has always been "One is able to attract more bees with honey." If you feel the need to go over to the bright light house why not take the friendly approach? You may want to start off with why you are the complaintant instead of their neighbors, then be friendly and see if they are willing to compromise. A motion sensor may be the perfect solution.

Even though we do live in a low crime community it doesn't mean we should all leave our doors unlocked and lights turned off at night. To each his or her own, I myself feel the need to be prudent when it comes to safety.

Last edited by Julie; 01-01-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:57 PM

Xavier: thanks for the info. We're sitting up here in 5 degree weather so we are really wanting to get to The Villages...."Crime" in The Villages as probably interpreted differently than where we are....
Old 01-01-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Ballsy move on your part and totally out of line. Did you ever think that perhaps the people in the offending house had to an emergency of sorts or something and that may be why they weren't home. You're coming down pretty had on someone without any knowledge of who they are or what is or isn't going on in their lives. Not well or not, your friend should, if they want to, be able to handle their own problems. Did they ask for your help?
Hey...chill out!!!! What is YOUR problem???? Do you think me an idiot??? I wouldn't have considered this a problem if it had been ONE night & they weren't home. I would have thought...oh they went out and "forgot" to turn their light out...no big deal, BUT...the people in the offending house (as you call it) have had this light on at night & ALL night for over THREE solid weeks now!! I doubt an emergency lasts 3 weeks.

And yes, as a matter of fact, my friends did ask me to help however I told them I didn't feel it my place to directly intervene but that I would do some "research" on the subject and put it out on TOTV to see what others had to say, which is exactly what I have done.

I have my answers now and will pass them on.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Platinum member

K2 Best response yet
Old 01-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Veteran member

Yes, I do agree that having lights shine all night long in the back of someones house is not a considerate thing to do. But, I hear quite a bit or anger and rage in the original post. If you went over there to "tell them off", it just is not a good thing. You are trying to SAVE your friend. Instead your negative energy will only HARM your friend. Is this how you generally handle things? Confrontation might be your style. I don't know this nor do I know you.

I would start by having your "friends" visit them and introduce themselves. You may be able to get to the reason WHY they have these lights installed. Once you know the reason, your "friend" can weave the light issue into the conversation. I would BUTT out of your friend's situation. It's her deal there!

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 01-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
Why doesn't someone just knock on the offending neighbor's door and explain the situation? I cannot believe that there isn't an accommodation that could be made that would satisfy all parties. At the least, by contacting the neighbor, one is giving them the opportunity to recognize the existance of a problem. If after advising them it does not resolve the issue, then hit them over the head with a bat.
Well, tee-hee, the "bat hitting" might be carrying things a little too far...I definitely do not advocate physical violence, but what you say makes perfect sense and I will definitely pass the suggestion along. However, like I said in an earlier post, he is ill and doesn't feel much like confronting anyone at this point.

Who knows, maybe the "offender" is reading this, will take the hint, and will turn out their light.

Thanks for your understanding input.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Veteran member

Doesn't anyone have a pellet gun in TV? Just kidding...

Either the homeowner with the bright lights doesn't realize their lights are causing a problem for their neighbor, or they know and they don't care.

Either way, something should be done, within the rules, for the good of all concerned.

Someone should to act as an advocate in this instance IMHO.

Dirigo

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 01-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Platinum member

I must also suggest contacting the offending neighbor. In my five years in TV, I have found that almost all the social restrictions we seem to have lived with "at home," (among other things, that may include "don't ever contact a neighbor who has bothersome lights, dogs, habits, etc., because that may stir up trouble"), go by the boards here in TV once folks recognize that a friendly word here and there may work wonders!

Our formerly rather insular lives do not / should not apply here in TV!

Whatever, Happy New Year!

SWR
Old 01-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We have motion detector lights for the very reason stated before; security. It was recommended by the "experts"..... But sometimes I believe the wind turns them on. They illuminate about 15 feet out into the yard.

It is interesting to me how different people handle sticky situations. I think that I would make every effort to avoid a nasty interchange because you are going to live there next to them and it would destroy my happiness to be on the "outs" with my neighbors.

If it troubled me, I would call the deed restriction people and ask them to handle it.

Everyone is different. VERY different.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Platinum member
Default Crime

Crime/break-ins are not the problem in TV as in Orlando. However, we do have occasional "rashes" and if your house and/or your neighbor's becomes the target, then you will perceive it as a problem. About a year ago, at least 3 houses were hit within a 2 block radius of us....with 1 being just 3 doors down. The only thing the thieves targeted were cash and jewelry. Entry was gained by breaking a window on the back of the house while the owner was out of town, and 2 of the others occurred when the occupants left to go out to dinner (apparently someone was watching) and were only gone between 5:30 and 8:30. Please don't assume that just because it is TV it doesn't happen....it does.

Along this same line, it was reported to the SO that some (3 - a girl and a couple of guys) people had been going door to door offering to do yard work, handyman work, etc. The SO suggested that we call their office and ask them to check out anyone that we are not familar with as being neighborhood regulars. If they are on the up and up, no problem. Better safe than sorry and they are happy to check for you.

Maybe the "rude" people have had a bad experience that they just don't want repeated and are not intentionally being inconsiderate. Surely some sort of compromise can be reached. IMHO
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 PM

We have motion floods outside.
And we were one of the ones robbed last year, in Feb. '09.

But the main reason we have the lights is that we ALWAYS walk our dogs in our own back yard, and we need to see what they are doing (we think they do too but probably not). And we have to take them out several times after dark this time of year.

We have no house behind us, but do try to be considerate to the one house next door it may possibly bother and to turn the light off if we notice the wind or something tripping it over and over.

I think the 'rude' people may not have any idea of how they are affecting their neighbors, and could easily re-aim the lights so as not to shine so directly into your friends house.

Hope it can be worked out...
Old 01-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Perhaps the light can be redirected not to shine onto your friend's house. Another suggestion: go directly to the deed compliance office after your friend's have spoken directly with their neighbors if they find the condition still exists. Give them a week or so to fix the situation.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Alert. Thread hijacking!!

I am going to hijack this thread to say that Joannej and Jojo both have sunsets as avatars.

Just thought that was interesting considering that their names are so similar.

Lovely...both of them.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Sage

Seems to me that the rule about making sure it is shaded so it does offend neighbors covers this. No need to have a huge debate. First just ask them nicely (since they may not even be aware) and then if they balk just call the deed police on them.

Making sure they follow the rules isn't being a bad neighbor.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.