Pedestrian Traffic on Multi-Modal Paths in Southern Region of Villages

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2020, 04:41 PM

You were totally right to walk facing motorized traffic. Shouldn't even be a question.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,103 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andercat View Post
I have been taking a morning walk each day since activities have stopped. Most people walk facing traffic. One couple with their dog was walking with traffic. As I approached them, I mentioned that walking against traffic was considered to be safer. They told me that their dog decided what side of the street to walk. Another couple with a dog was walking again with traffic. I didn't say anything to them. They volunteered that they knew they were walking on the wrong side of the road but walked where their dog led them. I thought people had higher IQ's than dogs. Evidently I was wrong.
Some people never realized that they are the alpha over their dogs and needed to teach them that.

Your dog's on a leash; he will walk on whatever-the-heck side of the road you choose.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:28 PM
Sage
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Thanked 2,437 Times in 1,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I have often been tempted to ask people who are walking in the same direction as traffic if they grew up in a city that had sidewalks everywhere. I did but I remember being taught at a very young age to always walk against traffic if you are in the country and there are no sidewalks.

Here is a real life incentive for you to walk against traffic. Just this afternoon, I was walking in the MMP lane on Rio Grande against traffic. Perfectly clear, beautiful day. I saw a golf cart about a quarter mile away coming towards me. I moved over all the way to the left against the curb even though there was no traffic on the road at all and the golf cart could easily go around me by going in the road. I was wearing red workout shorts and a lime green shirt and I am not a small guy. This guy just kept driving straight toward me. When he got about 20 yards from me I started clapping my hands and yelling at him, he kept coming so I jumped up onto the grass. Finally, when he was maybe 10 feet from me he finally noticed me and swerved into the street. If I had been walking with traffic, I wouldn't have seen this guy coming up from behind and would not have warned him. There is a good possibility he would have run me over.
You was in blind spot, either by glare or mirror or roof support/windshield. If the angle right he didn’t see you till you popped from behind the blind spot.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1949 View Post
Walk on the sidewalk if there is one, joggers too ...Dont make Carts on the roads swerve to avoid you. Walk against traffic on modal paths STEP ASIDE on wide curves, carts cannot see round corners. Many near misses.
Unfortunately, I have been noting a number of incidents where a walker will step off the sidewalk and into the cart lane to maintain 6 feet from another walker going the other way. The most recent one did it about 10 cart lengths in front of me as I was going 20 MPH. Fortunately for them, I had anticipated this and knew there was no car traffic and was able to zip into the car lane. WALK in the grass, not the cart lane!!!!!
Old 04-02-2020, 12:55 AM

If they want to live they better walk against the traffic. Think about 2 or 3 carts coming up behind them; the first can see the walkers and pulls out to pass them. How close is the cart behind the first cart - does he see them in time; maybe, maybe not - how about the third or fourth cart. That situation happened (a little differently, but still the same) on Sunset Blvd a couple of years ago - the lady lived a week in the hospital in pain!!!
Old 04-02-2020, 04:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,230 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Some people never realized that they are the alpha over their dogs and needed to teach them that.

Your dog's on a leash; he will walk on whatever-the-heck side of the road you choose.
Absolutely.
We had dogs for years.
They were all an important part of the family, but they all new their place.
Bottom of the pecking order.
The cats were a bit different, and we and the dogs all understood our place was under them!
Old 04-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Horrified by the dog owners that allow their dog to walk wherever they want. Tragedy waiting to happen!
DOG TRAINING 101: Always teach your dog to walk on your LEFT side on a leash. There are reasons for that, including safety. You walk on the left against traffic (as per law) and that keeps you between the dog and the dangers of the road. Dogs are unpredictable and can suddenly pull to the side - right into oncoming traffic.
If everyone does it consistently, then a dog being walked in the opposite direction is safely on the OTHER side of the road with their human barrier. Many dogs are terrified of other dogs and this keeps a safe distance for all. Dogs need guidance; if people can't be bothered to teach their dog the basics, they shouldn't be dog owners.
A pet peeve: I hate those long flexileads. Dogs should be walked on 4 - 6 feet leashes next to your LEFT side. People let their dogs run across streets to "greet" us without reining them in and the next thing you know you have a confrontation with 2 upset snarling dogs. NOT COOL!!! Also, walking is for exercise. My dogs relieve themselves in their yard before their walkies or wait until they get back to THEIR own yard. They walk in the street and we do not let them onto other people's lawns. It's common sense and really quite simple.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 04-02-2020, 04:33 PM

Reminds me of a quote years ago from Mayberry, NC, Deputy Sheriff Barney Fife: "Walk on the left after dark, or you'll wind up playin' a harp".
Closed Thread

Tags
traffic, multi-modal, walking, pedestrians, portion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.