Please No Perfume at Concerts

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2020, 10:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
My grandmother taught me one method of applying perfume. Dab the CAP of the bottle against one wrist. Close the bottle and put it away.

Then use the "practically fumes" amount on that wrist, to rub against the other wrist. Then use both wrists and rub against the outer edge of each jawline. Then use whatever's left on your wrists to smooth down your skirt.

Someone else suggested using a spray, spritzing once up into the air 2 steps away from where you're standing, and then walk under whatever starts to fall from it.

I rarely wear perfume and I make some of it myself. What I do use, I use as sparingly as possible because one of them is stupidly expensive (Shalimar, undiluted perfume - not eau de toilette or perfume spray) and the other was discontinued years ago and I've diluted it with rubbing alcohol, and want it to last a little longer before it's gone (Abishag).

Shalimar! Now THAT brings back some exciting college memories. Too bad youth is wasted on the young. (Where have I heard that!).
Old 03-12-2020, 03:13 AM
Platinum member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina /One Retired in Duval

Sadly elderly population has lost some of their senses. Other problem, hygiene comes into play, and they think a perfume will cover the problem.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,050 Posts

I Love The Smell Of Napalm In The Morning - Apocalypse Now - YouTube
Old 03-12-2020, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
........ I think we need to feel comfortable addressing a situation right when it happens and not feel bad about it. It's ok to say what you need.
Hubby and I were sitting in a very empty movie theater during the previews. Along came two women who sat in the row in front of us but off to the side so not directly in front of us. That was a good move.

What wasn't so nice was the very strong scent of perfume that came wafting our way. I stayed seated for 30 seconds and said to hubby that we must move. He knew that was coming. As I got up I looked directly at the two women and said, "Which one of you is wearing perfume so heavy it is making me ill?" Then I moved to another section of the theater. I probably left them both with there mouths hanging open.

I may not have handled that very nicely, but I was just so annoyed!!! People have to be totally oblivious to how offensive strong perfume is.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,102 Times in 524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Hubby and I were sitting in a very empty movie theater during the previews. Along came two women who sat in the row in front of us but off to the side so not directly in front of us. That was a good move.

What wasn't so nice was the very strong scent of perfume that came wafting our way. I stayed seated for 30 seconds and said to hubby that we must move. He knew that was coming. As I got up I looked directly at the two women and said, "Which one of you is wearing perfume so heavy it is making me ill?" Then I moved to another section of the theater. I probably left them both with there mouths hanging open.

I may not have handled that very nicely, but I was just so annoyed!!! People have to be totally oblivious to how offensive strong perfume is.
Did your husband see that one coming too?
Old 03-12-2020, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,680 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post

Reminds me of the time I went to the movies with a friend and the two guys behind us were talking, discussing the movie, while we were all trying to actually watch it. So I turned around and asked them if they knew a good way to sop up the blood clots from an especially heavy menstrual period, and "y'know how it's kinda fishy smelling? Well I heard the vinegar douche is good for that, but I also heard too much douching causes yeast infections and I've had five of those already this year, all that frothing is just SO inconvenient"...and I went on and on until they moved their seats.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:59 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle

Just thinking about cell phones in the movie theaters in The Villages. Since early January, we have seen three movies. Actually, two more for this timeframe than usual for us. The theater was near capacity for two of the movies and we neither saw or heard any problem with a cell phone. Just my take but perhaps some are overreacting to cell phones being a huge distraction or a problem in the movie theaters in The Villages.

Last edited by justjim; 03-12-2020 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Error
Old 03-12-2020, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,962 Times in 853 Posts

I tend to sneeze (really loud) and often at the smell of strong perfume or aftershave... and usually in the direction of the wearer. And it is often not even intentional.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:03 AM
Sage

Beyond perfume, the grossest thing men can do is go to the gym or sit @ bar with a sleeveless t-shirt--revolting
Old 03-18-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
My grandmother taught me one method of applying perfume. Dab the CAP of the bottle against one wrist. Close the bottle and put it away.

Then use the "practically fumes" amount on that wrist, to rub against the other wrist. Then use both wrists and rub against the outer edge of each jawline. Then use whatever's left on your wrists to smooth down your skirt.

I rarely wear perfume and I make some of it myself. What I do use, I use as sparingly as possible because one of them is stupidly expensive (Shalimar, undiluted perfume - not eau de toilette or perfume spray) and the other was discontinued years ago and I've diluted it with rubbing alcohol, and want it to last a little longer before it's gone (Abishag).
I’ve read that dabbing and rubbing affects the scent and makes it worse.most scents with alcohol are the ones that are the strongest, no matter how light the scent is. That’s why natural oils are kinder and gentler.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
I think it's really nice that people feel comfortable sharing their opinions and reasons for not wanting/not needing to be around perfumes, etc........ maybe the next step would be: when around someone who has the stuff on, to caringly say that you are allergic to perfumes and ask that they consider what they are doing when they go into close quarters in public from now on as they might be making someone sick the next day........ I think we need to feel comfortable addressing a situation right when it happens and not feel bad about it. It's ok to say what you need.
Have you ever tried to very caringly ask someone to do that? In a room full of card players, many women wearing all types of scents, an email request to please not wear it due to people having allergies made it dwindle to just a couple of women still wearing it. I approached the offenders in private, nicely explaining how it affects me and others due to allergies. I even told them that it was a lovely scent, but my head pounds and my throat closes up from perfumes in general...in close proximity. Lots of people just think you’ve got some nerve as if you’re telling them what to do, and doing so makes things worse. These people apparently lack good scents...oops... SENSE.
As for cigars and cigarettes, not that you should HAVE TO, but if there are no options you can move just a little up or down wind. There’s no way to avoid the perfume issue other than to leave the activity.
Closed Thread

Tags
orchestra, people, concert, perfume, center

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.